FJR Cost Over Time - Adjusted for Inflation

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Now that I think about it, Ignacio really should have done more.

What he could have done if he really loved us was to figure:

The average number of miles an average FJR is capable of attaining before it is worn out.

The average mpg of an average FJR ridden by an average rider for its lifespan.

The average cost of that fuel for the life of the FJR.

The average cost of tires based on the average tire lifespan of the average FJR rider.

The average cost of the average farkle(s) installed by the average rider.

The average repair and maintenance costs for the average FJR over its average lifespan.

Then, if he really, really loved us and cared about us, he could have figured all that for all of the competitive bikes and then he could have put all that into a comparison table.

Then!!! We could figure out whether or not the FJR was decent deal or not.

Of course, we all know the answer to that one already.

All that and I am not even drinking! Hugs and kisses my friends!
angel.gif

Oh, and before anyone else gets offended, NONE of that was directed at anybody.

Last edited by a moderator:

The average number of miles an average FJR is capable of attaining before it is worn out.

blah, blah, blah
I get the sarcasm.
air_kiss.gif
So, it appears you have a lot of work to get crackin' on too! ;)

blah, blah, blah
I get the sarcasm.
air_kiss.gif
So, it appears you have a lot of work to get crackin' on too!
wink.png
I am happy as hell that someone does!

But, I am happy to admit that I am far too lazy to do any of that. Besides, if I did all that and then someone said I should have done more...I would be pissed. Really pissed.

If I remember correctly, all the Sport Touring comparos that I have read since the Gen3 came out have praised the FJR for its "bang for the buck". I think that they have to know something about the maintenance costs and reliability of the bikes they review even though that is not part of their write-up.

Now, I have to go figure up the average cost difference between the Premium Unleaded and the Plus Unleaded gasoline. Then I have to figure the average miles I ride per year, factoring in the increased miles ridden due to the huge cost savings between the two fuels. Then I have to figure the increased tire wear, bearing wear...

I am still amazed that Yamaha is selling us such a wonderful bike at this price point. The fact that it has remained relatively constant over its life span is even more amazing. Come on 2015!

Great work Matt, thanks for taking the time to pull the info together!

Although I didn't have any data to support it, I suspected pricing was pretty flat over the last 10ish years. I paid $10,495 for my PDP non-ABS '04 and $11,995 for my PDP '06. To think we can buy a new '13 or '14 for a couple thousand more (in non-adjusted $$$) than my '06 is amazing.

--G

Thanks for the informative chart.

It makes me feel really smart for buying my FJR in 2008.

I remember joking with the dealer at the time that the FJR would probably hold it's value better than my stock portfolio.

Don't think I'll wait for another economic downturn before buying another one though.

Value iz just another of many thangs that make the FJR so great; w/ all the monies ya save buy'in the thing gives ya more monies fer gas tire & oil.
That is not at all what one might expect to see. I would have expected to see big jumps in adjusted price at the introduction of each new generation, where significant features were added, and yet that doesn't seem to have happened at all.
I guess it would have on the '14 if you had used the more expensive ES as that would have just edged out the 2010 as the highest priced FJR yet. But the 2013 and 2014 A would appear to be "bargains" considering the added features.
Thanks Fred, I'll show this to my wife/sister so'z I can upgrade to a 2014. "Hey babe, it's not how much it costs, butt how much we're save'in!"
lol.gif

As far as the personal affordability goes, if you make minimum wage, then no, an FJR is not affordable in 2004 or now in 2014. You can' eat steak on a hot-dog income. This has nothing to do with the adjusted cost of an FJR plotted from 2004 to 2014.

I just bought a 2004 because I'm cheap! Sure, I'd like a 2014, but I'm not willing to pay 15K + Tax + License for the out the door price of approx $17K to get one.

Meanwhile, you should use this chart as a kick in the butt to go buy your first FJR and get a '14 since they're one of cheaper ABS models over time.
wink.png
New dollars spent <> New dollars not spent

If we're talking justifications instead of rationalizations, then all of this matters only as a salve if you HAVE to buy a new bike. If you have a paid off 2003 that still fits your needs and has no major mechanical/electrical issues, then continuing to ride it results in no ADDITIONAL dollars spent.

And, as I now see that some people got pissed off when others thought out loud, let me add that the above was done with a wink. Kudo to Iguana for going to the effort.

I'll show this to my wife/sister so'z I can upgrade to a 2014.
Well, since they are one-and-the-same, I think it explains the forum handle and photo.

Very interesting reading. While the overall "cost" of the bike is relatively flat over the years, I just finished 12k miles in just under two months. the first 6 on my 08, the second on my 14ES. This is my 5th FJR and when I bought the 03 it was like a Cadillac compared to my V-65 Magna. This bike is refined beyond anything I could have hoped for so when you look at the graph, the bike is an even better buy than it was in 03. YMMV. I LOVED my 08 and with the recall I never had the electrical issues I had on the 06 which left me stranded in bum screw no-where as one of the first to experience the "spider bite". This bike is so far beyond it's predecessors in it's refinements I consider it actually a better value for what it delivers than any of my previous bikes. Again, YMMV.