FJR Deer Hunting

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dunhamg

Reaction score
Here are a couple pics of my 2003 FJR that I successfully bagged a deer with yesterday. At least I was going to try and post some pictures. Can anyone help me out with posting a pic?

Later,

Grady A. Dunham

Is this ANOTHER bad dea started by Dcarver? 1st was a nail dead-center in a new tire :rolleyes: ....now FJR deer hunting? :unsure: Y'all gots to find sumwun else tuh emyoolaite foller. :eek:

En knot me neither, tew!

Last edited by a moderator:
Here are a couple pics of my 2003 FJR that I successfully bagged a deer with yesterday. At least I was going to try and post some pictures. Can anyone help me out with posting a pic?
Later,

Grady A. Dunham
details bro! need to assimilate your deer killing and surviving skills.

Later,

Grady A. Dunham
details bro! need to assimilate your deer killing and surviving skills.
Yesterday about 5:45 pm on my way home from work I was headed down the gravel road about 2 miles from home and out ran two deer with me directly t-boning the second one. I was able to scrub off a very small amount of speed and hit it about 50 mph. That washed out the front end of the bike and I went tumbling down the road and into the ditch. I counted it out and I slid about 45 paces from the point of impact with the bike ending up about 60 paces down the road. The Darien suit did it's job pretty well and I ended up with a scrape on my elbow with no dirt in it. I am still a bit sore, but not really too bad considering.

The deer was probably about 125-130 lbs a smaller doe and it was dead right on the side of the road.

Later,

Grady

I'm working on getting the pics uploaded as I write. Next post will contain pics.

Here are the pics.

DSC06107.jpg

Not looking good. The wild Bill footpegs put a little too much force on the cover and so it lost all its oil on the road.

DSC06106.jpg

DSC06104.jpg

Front forks are bent, it's now at the dealership to get a estimate for repair.

DSC06119.jpg

The one small hole in the sleeve of my five year old Darien jacket that had covered approx. 150K miles sacrificed quite well for me. I ended up with a small scrape that was a clean scrape with no dirt to clean out.

DSC06124.jpg

Pants held up well and no scratches on my lower body.

DSC06110-1.jpg

The deer didn't make it far.

DSC06111.jpg

This was the road about the point of impact with the oil spot where the bike ended up close to the truck.

DSC06109.jpg

Dang, I fully understand, only too well.

I'm happy you are ok - what to say?

The forest rats are out for revenge...

..so tell me what your thought process was?

what was going through your mind right before impact, when you knew it was a hit?

fuckin WOW! glad your alive. Really not much hope of keppin'er up on a gravel road. Shit! WOW! Glad your ok man! Geez! fuckin deer!

I'll keep my lil ground hog!

Looks like the deer suffered more gravel rash than you did.... or did someone salvage some venison steaks?

You would have scored more bonus points if you had killed a pregnant doe. :D

Bent forks, eh? Your bike is well on its way to being totaled, my brutha..... dunno if you consider this a good thing or not. It takes some pretty fair amount of force to bend 48mm forks, so one has to be suspicious of your steering neck integrity. Once you start talking about frame damage.... that's the ball game, as far as most insurance companies are concerned. Hell, I've seen insurance adjusters total a bike because the frame was literally scratched! :huh:

Given the age of your bike, the mileage, all that expensive plastic, new forks, engine covers, nose subframe, etc, etc to fix properly, I'm pretty sure your done here with this machine. If it were me, I would have the bike totaled and buy the Salvage Title back from them cheap, and repair it, IF it wasn't for the bent forks. The bent forks would be a deal-breaker for me.

Glad you're okay. Still wish it woulda been a pregnant doe. Still, from look at the carcass, you have appeared to knock it's eyeball outta the socket! Good style points there, bro....! :lol: ;)

Poor old Popeye!

I think there is plenty of room for all the deer in this country................Right next to the mashed potatoes. :lol:

DAMN, how many deer strikes is this now? I am starting to wonder if this is an FJR forum, or the Kamikaze Deer Hunters Assoc.

Glad to hear that you are OK. going down on gravel just can't be fun.

Owwwww..... Owwww... Owww....

Dude! That sucks... This is becoming one of my worst fears. We passed 3 deer and a stupid dog on our ride last sunday, every time I see one, I slam the brakes just in case.

Really glad you had good gear on. Really hope you have collision....

Glad you're OK. So do you like the new black Feejer?

It really is the season. I had a near-miss last night on the ride home and get this, it was IN Washington, DC, at the west end of Georgetown! Three does were in the grass on the right and then something spooked them into a couple of cars and I. I nailed the brakes for one and it passed close enough that I looked later to see if the CeeBailey covers were still on my headlights. Monday on I-270, a 6-point ran into the side of a new CRV about a half-mile in front of me, ramming the area of the driver's door handle hard enough that the left rear door was cocked. The woman who'd been driving was hysterical.

So far, between the wife and I in the last few years the tally includes strikes on a:

Town & Country minivan

Caravan

Ducati ST2

Escape

Explorer

Contour

The tally of vehicles not hit is a lot smaller:

Honda 700 Nighthawk

Triumph Sprint

FJR (so far)

Nuke the bastards. Like rats and other vermin, there's no reason for a closed season.

Bob

Ya know, the Loud Pipes Save Lives guys may be on to something. It's deer they're saving. Our bikes sneak up on 'em too quietly.