FJR doesn't start

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What's the report? Is it something that we can prevent? Can I DOOOO anything about it myself?
The shop probably charged HouFJR something like $100 to fix the problem, for $100 HouFJR will tell us what they did ;) :lol:

On the other hand, maybe HouFJR was simply out of gas and he ain't talkin' :unsure:

Thank you, ionbeam, for your knowledgeable reply to my question.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's harsh, ionbeam. LOL.

The shop replaced the fouled plugs, replaced the throttle position sensor, reset the computer. Yamaha picked up the tab (Thanks, Y.E.S.!) including the $120 tow, and the mechanic even balanced the throttle bodies while he had the bike apart.

It's running perfectly now.

What's the report? Is it something that we can prevent? Can I DOOOO anything about it myself?
The shop probably charged HouFJR something like $100 to fix the problem, for $100 HouFJR will tell us what they did ;) :lol:

On the other hand, maybe HouFJR was simply out of gas and he ain't talkin' :unsure:

In other words - - - - they "fished" until it started and they don't have a friggin' clue.

I've already performed ionbeams diagnostic code search - and there's NOTHING. One thing I continue to observe is the fuel pump "pressurizing" entirely too long during the initial setup prior to start attempt. (Does that make sense - the way I am saying it?

Damn...

Omegasix(fatty acids?),

Pull dem plugs. Even replace them with cheap OEM equivalents. It will start. If not, ping Rad, he has a 'Proven Formula'. With his vocation and experience I would listen. This once. Only on this topic. And, I respect and acknowledge he is da man in this arena.

Let us know what happens... :eek:

Omegasix(fatty acids?),
Pull dem plugs. Even replace them with cheap OEM equivalents. It will start. If not, ping Rad, he has a 'Proven Formula'. With his vocation and experience I would listen. This once. Only on this topic. And, I respect and acknowledge he is da man in this arena.

Let us know what happens... :eek:

Awww...... no more posts about what happened?

My bike did the same thing last week...ok, sorta...

Rode it to Cali and back, no problems...

let it sit for a month, went to start it.... getting gas, sound like it wants to start, but no go...

Been reading lots of psts here, cycled the key on and off about 6 times, almost caught, but wont'...

The battery is reading 8.7 or 8.9 V while it's trying to start... but I think the dash voltmeter read low.. never read above 12.9 the whole 6000 mile trip...

I guess I have to learn how to take the tupperware off and hook up a battery charger...

Guess I'll also print out the code post above and try that...

Have a service manual, but no owner's manual.....

anyone with any other suggestions, I'm listening...

Maybe I should use the YES warrenty I just transferred to me form the last owner... <G>

thanks

Mary

Oh yeah..... my bike doesnt' have a center stand.... do I need to put it on a bike lift?

2nd edit...

Now the ABS light is coming on when I try to start it....

My 2005 FJR is doing the same thing. Can you tell me what the problem ended up being? I've checked all fuses except the fuel injection fuse. I couldn't find it. I've run through diagnostic mode. Everything looked fine. About a year ago I did tip it over in the driveway so I did get the error 30. Never had any problems with it after I tipped it over though.

Based on my experience, I'd bet on a low battery causing the ECM to flood the bike. The battery is low when it's at 12.8 volts or below. In my case, a trikkle charge is my best friend!

jim