FJR Freedom - Is there a place that you have not taken your FJR to?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Apparently, people I'm riding with don't like taking the FJR down gravel roads. So I hear.
You heard right brother! Pavement good. Gravel bad.
Yeah, I second that remark...
thumbsup.gif
Gently tapping toe, waiting for Fred W (I promise, no dirt roads...) to chime in. :lol:

Is there a place that you have not taken your FJR to, because it's not a dual-sport such as GS/GSA. S10, etc?
XR650R? Yeah. GSA? Not so much.

I've ridden every gravel road, dirt road, and goat trail I've ever wanted to with the FJR. Except for trails where chin clearance is an issue--I've found the FJR especially agile off paved roads. I've ridden almost everything I've wanted or needed to....and in the other cases I've used an actual dirt bike, snowmobile, or helicopter to get to.

Resiting urge to moving to NEPRT as it's been some time since this thread was last dredged up.....

I have been down (and up) many goat trails with the FJR that it had no business being on.

There was the WV excursion at EOM 2007 - Ashe, Fencer, Charlie, and a few others had to do a u-turn on a wet grass slope when the game trail ended... There was the Jeep trail leading up to and onto the Appalachian Trail near Roan Mtn - and when I say "on" the Appalachian trail, we were ON it, not next to it, as in passed hikers who stepped aside as we rode past... The south entrance to Burkes Garden last year at EOM - really doesn't count because that gravel was as good as some paved roads I've been on in other places.

Sure it will do it - if you've got the nutz and "it'll make it" attitude and confidence in your skills. Not recommended - plenty of other tools to put in the shed if that's the direction you are going.

I live on a gravel / sea shell / sand and dirt combo road that when it rains and It rains every day in the warmer months. It turns into a slick slimy mixture of all of the above and with 2 inches of water on it makes you feel like you're riding on an ice skating rink.

It's 1000 feet (longer than 3 football fields) to my driveway from the last paved road. I do that almost every day of my Freakin' life. I've never fallen down on it. (Knock on wood). Me thinks you ladies should stop being a bunch of Whiney Pussies and just Suck it up!!
grin.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
I've ridden the S10 and liked the riding style and features, but I think the S10 and GS are too heavy to be dual sports unless driving on gravel constitutes dual. I've been on quite a few gravel roads with the FJR two up and had no problem, add a set of wider bars and the handling would be greatly improved.
That's an opinion which is far from fact. The fact is 1200GSAs are VERY capable off road. I have seen those bikes go all over the place.

When I went to Big Bend, it was with BMW riders, including the Sales manager and Service manager from our local BMW shop. There wasn't anywhere I took that 250 that they didn't take their 1200s. I was however , the only Yamaha there. I was also the only bike that couldn't go over 60-65, and I was the only one that ran out of gas.

Because of weight and the front wheel, sometimes they had to work harder, but those bikes have about the same power to weight ratio as smaller bikes. All they lack are the riders with the ability to ride them.

Don't believe me? PM Patch308. He's my younger brother and rides his everywhere. Maintenance on his BMW is actually easier and just as cheap as my FJR. Today's BMW is not the BMW of 20 years ago, but some people can't let it go. There's a reason the BMW GSA is the most prolific dual-sport bike in the world.
It sounds like you ride with some very talented riders. If your friends and brother were on FJR's, they would probably do more on them than I certainly could. My point was that the average rider is probably not going to be able to do the kind of riding you are speaking of with a heavy dual purpose bike. Age and ability have more to do with what can be rung out of a bike than style of bike.

If the bike is the ultimate factor, HD's advertisement should be buy a Sportster and jump 14 buses.

For me, a GS or S10 are bikes that I can't ride to their full ability but I like what they are capable of in the right hands and the riding comfort they provide. Saying that, a FJR will take me where I want to go without buying a light,smaller dirt bike.

Been on dirt and gravel with the FJR...don't like it one bit.

Not interested in single tracking with a big trailie but would love to have decent dirt roads opened up when the urge hits!

Holding out for the KTM 1190...
biggrinsmiley.gif
local dealer claims deposits begin in September '13.

--G

I have taken Silver over 2 dirt roads and turned back on one that was paved long ago.

I rode from SH 58 to SH 166 through the Carizzo Plain National (land grab) monument. that included about 18 miles of well graded dirt. No problems except when the washboards got rally bad and I had to slow WAAAaaay down.

The second dirt road is Cypress Mountain road. I took this 6.5 mile dirt road south from Klau mine road to Santa Rosa Creek road. It had steep (read CANNOT stop just using the back brake) hills, ruts and baseball sized rocks in the ruts. It took careful riding and I did have second thoughts.

The only road the I turned tail on is TV Tower road, which leads west from the top of the Cuesta Grade (101 south of Santa Mararita). It once was paved and provides service to several radio installations along the ridge. A few really steep spots but the pavement is badly degraded and the holes are so numerous that dodging them was impossible. Many of them are as deep as city curbs. After the second time I bashed the cats/headers, I turned around. A few weeks later, I took my Scion on it, I wasn't worried about bashing the bottom of it (and did several times) and it was alot easier to stop and dodge them without falling over.

I am surprised that dcarver hasn't posted this one. He lives MILES from the nearest paved road.

Have ridden the FJR on many roads that were not paved. For short distances ok. Not fun being in a perpetual state of pucker. I rode a 1200GS last year in Scotland and found it a very capable bike and, coming off the FJR, Thought it was fairly light for a dual-sport with that size engine. Was 2-up the whole time and didn't do any off road riding, though.
How would you compare wind protection on GS compared to FJR?
With the stock shield on the GS not so much. The one we rented had an aftermarket with adjustable top piece that provided pretty good protection for the face and body.

P1000434.jpg

Off topic: Those front tires in that piccie look like the OEM BT-020s that came with my 2004 FJR. Though I am sure they are'nt BT-020s, I bet they are Bridgestones.

Off topic: Those front tires in that piccie look like the OEM BT-020s that came with my 2004 FJR. Though I am sure they are'nt BT-020s, I bet they are Bridgestones.
Off topic response: Can't remember what model, but they are 'stones. I do remember looking at what kind of tires were on it.

If you really want to ride off the beaten path two up there is only one bike that can do it with ease and it isn't a piggy GS or Tenere

Buy a KTM adventure.

Replying to original post

I don't do gravel and dirt on my FJR. I have a Tenere for that. Did a few mountain switch backs on it in West Virginia including Burks Garden.

I am really loven the Tenere and logged 12,300 miles on it this year. Only got 4,000 on the FJR but not letting it go either as they are two bikes designed for two different uses.

Later

Scooper

I'm asking this question, because I currently own a 2007, my wife and I enjoy taking 2 weeks trips. But, I'm thinking about upgrading, I know that 2013 FJR is out, but there is also the BMW GS.
I like the fact that FJR has a low cost of ownership.
I have both bikes and they just do to compare to each other. They do compliment each other though.

Cost of ownership on a GS is the same as the FJR if you do your own work. It's just the aftermarket parts that are more expensive. If you shop you can find deals.

If you want great wind protection on the GS get an Aeroflow windshield. Supposed to be awesome!

And if you want to learn to ride the pig off road then just take the Rawhyde course for $350.

Last edited by a moderator: