fjr ignition key cover for moisture/rain control

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roadhammer

Reaction score
Roadhammer and the quest for a simple moisture barrier for the ignition key. The answer is too easy; just go to the spice section of your nearest grocery store and get a spice bottle with a cap with a inside diameter of 29.72 mm. Keep the spice for your beloved and cut the inside threads down and there you have it. A rain proof cap for washing,parking and overnight outside parking when camping.

enjoy Roadhammer

Last edited by a moderator:
Not a bad idea, and thanks for the tip.

But................is there slow 'moisture damage' going on?

Not a bad idea, and thanks for the tip.
But................is there slow 'moisture damage' going on?
I've noticed no damage, but have had it freeze on nights that it rained & then dropped below 32- If I'm thinking about it I just take a small bit of foil & cap it. That way I don't have to get the hair dryer out to go to work :) .

Annh, I just use a wad of gum.

That way when I get back on the bike I can pick up where I left off.

NOTE: not too good for extended storage though.

NOTE2: Use long lasting flavor gums for this otherwise you might as well use a piece of inner tube.

Roadhammer and the quest for a simple moisture barrier for the ignition key. The answer is too easy; just go to the spice section of your nearest grocery store and get a spice bottle with a cap with a inside diameter of 29.72 mm. Keep the spice for your beloved and cut the inside threads down and there you have it. A rain proof cap for washing,parking and overnight outside parking when camping. enjoy Roadhammer
I'm not one to carry a set of calipers to the grocery store, what brand spices are you using the cap from?

cadman

My key can be rough to turn after a few days of rain sometimes, but I've started spraying a bit of that white grease into the lock when it rains. Keeps it free, no problem since starting that regimen.

Freezing has not been a problem where I live. . . . . .

It may not be a bad idea to cover the ignition switch in the rain, but I'd leave it uncovered normally so you don't get condensation. A little shot of graphite is the best lubricant for locks, including the ignition switch.

I used a small square of duct tape on the steering head nut, and transfer it to cover the key hole. When you want to start up, move it back to the headf nut for future use. Some residue, but cheap.

Having said that, I just had an ignition switch failure, though I think the two are unrelated.

I just use one of these.

Trojan2.gif

Road,

Thanks for the suggestion. I will keep one of these caps in my jacket pocket when the need arises.

John-T, Another great idea-Thanks!

I will cut down the 35mm film container that fits nicely over the key mechanism...just tried it.

Annh, I just use a wad of gum.That way when I get back on the bike I can pick up where I left off.

NOTE: not too good for extended storage though.

NOTE2: Use long lasting flavor gums for this otherwise you might as well use a piece of inner tube.
Have you tried sugarless?

Roadhammer and the quest for a simple moisture barrier for the ignition key. The answer is too easy; just go to the spice section of your nearest grocery store and get a spice bottle with a cap with a inside diameter of 29.72 mm. Keep the spice for your beloved and cut the inside threads down and there you have it. A rain proof cap for washing,parking and overnight outside parking when camping. enjoy Roadhammer
I found that a Connector Cover I got from work is perfect and looks good too...

IMG_0036.jpg

mine was sticking the other day, put some antiseize on the key and worked it a few times, works perfect now, but might be messy when you put key in pocket

I think the best way to avoid problems from corrosion damage is to use a inhibiter/lubicant inside the lock mechanism periodically. Humid air is a problem near the coast.

Hey guys, These are great options for the stock triple tree, but does anyone have something that fits the Heli bar triple tree??. You have to lose the plastic piece that comes on the stock I am just curious because I am trying to find something.

Thanks