FJR & Lojack...

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sportsguy

searchgeek - author
Reaction score
So I called the local Lojack dealer this week to enquire about getitng Lojack installed on my 2009 FJR.

Figuring it's a smart move to help protect my investment...right?

Well, maybe not.

I was, at first, mildly surprised to learn that even I, the owner, am not allowed to know where they put the Lojack transceiver on the bike. Purportedly to keep it "safer & more secure, as you might inadvertently tell someone where it is, thus defeating the value". OK, after a few minutes, I bought into this thinking.

Then it dawned on me - if I'm modding the bike, and working on it, there's a good chance I'll stumble across the damn thing anyway in my under-plastic travels. Given the limited real estate on bikes, there are only so many places the box could be placed anyway, and what if the space I wanted for a mod, I found filled with this little box? I'd feel compelled to move it, thus potentially violating my coverage...

Now, at this point, I'm still considering it. Figuring the good outweights the bad, as it were.

I'm then told it's $995 for the lifetime subscription & install (plus taxes). Hmmm... this gets me thinking. If my insurance covers the full replacement value of the bike, and my deductible is $1000 already, where's my value in the protection Lojack offers. It's not a deterrant by any stretch of the imagination, as they won't place stickers to warn folks that the object is protected.

I then spoke with a few local folks who ride, and one mentioned they wouldn't want the bike back anyway, if it were stolen, beaten and potentially wrecked. (Good point.) As well, bike theives tend to know the common spots the lojack transceivers are stashed (again, back to limited real estate), so it culd be a quick deal for them to locate and remove said box...

So...

When I initially bought the bike, I have every intention of installing Lojack. Now, it's unlikely to happen. I think next week I'm going to put the money towards the purchase of an extended service plan at the dealer, so basic service fees are covered for the next few years in advance, and I net a 30% discount on service costs. Roughly the same out-of-pocket for me, and helps ensure I keep to the factory maintenance schedule to stay within the lines for the extended warranty I bought. ;)

That subscription vs deductible thing has always confused me, too, about why bother? Even worse with a "more reasonable" deductible like $500 or $250. Why blow a grand to protect half that?

Shows ya what people attach themselves to: the things, not the expense. Gotta keep up with the Joneses, though, right?

And Johnny, it's too early in the day to find what you're looking for on them street corners, I think. Unless it's a really bad neighborhood.

I'd be intrested in something like the Lojack that instead of "informing the authorites" where my stolen bike is, it just told me , and me alone.

Whats the use in having all these firearms if I can never find a good place to use them?

KM

I'd be intrested in something like the Lojack that instead of "informing the authorites" where my stolen bike is, it just told me , and me alone.
Whats the use in having all these firearms if I can never find a good place to use them?

KM
How can we trust you? You speak of guns, yet you make knives. ;)

KM
How can we trust you? You speak of guns, yet you make knives. ;)
What about a gun that shot knives?

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd be intrested in something like the Lojack that instead of "informing the authorites" where my stolen bike is, it just told me , and me alone.+

KM
LMAO. BTW I typed this on an IPod touch

KM
I have a device called a 'snitch' (www.gps-snitch.com) that I COULD hide on my bike if I wanted - but it is in the cage, so I know where my son is when he takes the car - ought to do EXACTLY what you want.

It is smart enough that it can be programmed to report on request, every 15 minutes - and there's a motion and location sensor that will make the device report every 5 minutes when tripped. It has a rechangeable internal battery that'll run the box for a claimed week or two, but I have mine wired to the car's electrical system and concealed behind the dash.

Reports are (obviously) displayable on their web site; in Google Earth plus alerts can be sent to your phone . . . .

Costs $180 a year for service plus the couple of hundred for the device itself.

Happy hunting . . . .

Oil changes are worth all of $25 if you do them yourself and generally that's all those plans cover - not to mention that in these difficult economic times, your dealer might not be around to provide the service that he's getting you to pay for up front.

Now, if you could find a plan that costs $1K that covers tires and brakes the way that Audi used to when they first arrived on the continent . . . .

I concur - Lojack is a crock unless your insurance company is paying for it.

Also - Unless you ride more than 25,000 miles a year and the extended service plan covers ALL manufacturer mandated maintenance, save your money and buy something useful, like a great set of HID driving lights, a decent GPS navigator and/or the YES plan (the latter costing $389 from D&H).

Oil changes are worth all of $25 if you do them youself and generally that's all those plans cover - not to mention that in these difficult economic times, your dealer might not be around to provide the service that he's getting you to pay for up front.

Now, if you could find a plan that costs $1K that covers tires and brakes the way that Audi used to when they first arrived on the continent . . . .

I concur - Lojack is a crock unless your insurance company is paying for it.
Also - Unless you ride more than 25,000 miles a year and the extended service plan covers ALL manufacturer mandated maintenance, save your money and buy something useful, like a great set of HID driving lights, a decent GPS navigator and/or the YES plan (the latter costing $389 from D&H).

Oil changes are worth all of $25 if you do them youself and generally that's all those plans cover - not to mention that in these difficult economic times, your dealer might not be around to provide the service that he's getting you to pay for up front.

I have the YES plan out to 5 years. The service plan covers all fluid changes and scheduled maintenance as per the factory schedule. Regular usage items like brakes, tires and wipers ( what, your FJR doesn't have them???) are not covered as normal for these types of plans.

Realistically I need to figure out if I'll actually do my own oil changes, etc. Life tends to be pretty busy and worrying about the quality of my own work is always a bother. And yes, I realize most dealers employ monkeys to work on bikes, but mistakes on their end are covered by them. Thus far, I am confident I have a good dealer.

Right. Lojack is out. I need to review my dice on the service plan to confirm the coverage is as I remember, then I can decide what to do.

Thanks for the feedback on this guys. Wasn't really expecting it, but it's turned out to be valuable. :)