FJR & Lojack...

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Again; Unless you ride enough to need TWO valve checks (that's more than 52K miles) and unless they'll do EVERYTHING like all of the cable lubes, fork oil changes, brake fluid and coolant flushes, air filter and spark plug changes and such there is just no way you'll get $1,000 in value out of the deal.

And, if their mechs are monkeys, they could well do more harm than good and you'll be tied to them for the duration.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would like to make a motion to dismiss and go riding. All in favor?
W2
Insurance will pay only the FAIR MARKET VALUE of your bike. Should your bike get stolen before you get it paid off and it's fair market value is less than what you owe, then you will not have enough insurance money to buy a new bike. You'll be in the hole. If LoJack can help retrieve your bike quickly then you're out nothing - not even a deductible. There is value for some of us in LoJack.

Again; Unless you ride enough to need TWO valve checks (that's more than 52K miles) and unless they'll do EVERYTHING like all of the cable lubes, fork oil changes, brake fluid and coolant flushes, air filter and spark plug changes and such there is just no way you'll get $1,000 in value out of the deal.
That's what I got in '04. IIRC, Cost was about $1,300, but they did Everything recommended in the manual (except air filters, for some reason). 5 Star certified dealer, so I wasn't too concerned about the techs being monkeys. I think I was at about 44 or 48K miles when it ran out. Shortly after that I bought a Morgan Carbtune and figured out an oil change and TBS on the FeeJeR is all of a 30 - 40 minute job even for a ham-fisted non-mech like me.

I had a similar problem with my bike although I don't live in the States.

Theft insurance was a whopping 1500US$ a year!

So I bought a GPS tracker. The one I now have has several functions.

1. It works via SMS. On one side you need GSM coverage which is no problem over here. Looking around you can find really cheap SMS providers. Plus you have no monthly excessive fee.

2. It sends messages to up to 5 different GSM numbers.

3. You can program alarms for moving (a minimum of 500 yards not to trigger false alarms), speed (if you give it to your son), geofence (you determine a territory where the bike can freely move without triggering an alarm. Plus power cut and low internal battery power alarms.

4. You can always "ask" his position by simply calling its number. It sends back immediately an SMS with the position.

5. You have a hidden emergency switch. This sends a message with "Help" and your coordinates to the stored phone numbers. You would be surprised how many people have incredible problems operating a mobile phone after an accident. Saw several times that they could not unlock their phone when help was most needed.

6. You can listen to whatever happens around the receiver as it has a small microphone too.

7. You can set the frequency of the messages freely. From every few seconds to hours between messages.

8. When there's no GPS coverage it will give the last good fix, e.g. the entrance to a covered parking lot.

Last, and best, you can switch a relay by phone. You connect this to the kill switch. In case of a stolen bike you get rather a quick alarm. So you call the cops, tell them the current position and just wait a few minutes till the thief is somewhere on a stretch of highway without exits. Then you trigger off the kill switch.

All you have to do then is to wait for the LEO to bring back your bike.

This should work well. Did it at least when we tried. The unit itself is the size of about 2 Zippo lighters, not waterproof but you can put it in a plastic bag. The separate waterproof antennas give very good reception even through the fairing plastics.

This unit cost around 130$ shipped, so it's a cheap insurance IMHO.

What you must consider is the limited number of places on a bike. BUT a thief has not much time and he will most likely try to get away as fast as possible and not try to search for hidden devices first.

My LoJack was only $700.00 installed so I guess I got a better deal than most. I've tested it several times and it works even out on the fringes of the county I live in. Worthwhile investment IMO.

Apparently it's not too hard to find.

Yesterday, someone had his motorcycle stolen here in Portland and it was LoJack equipped. Portland Police started to get pings later in the day. They were able to zero in on it very quickly inside a vacant house. Unfortunately, only the LoJack device was inside, the motorcycle was nowhere to be found.

I had a similar problem with my bike although I don't live in the States. Theft insurance was a whopping 1500US$ a year!

So I bought a GPS tracker. The one I now have has several functions.

1. It works via SMS. On one side you need GSM coverage which is no problem over here. Looking around you can find really cheap SMS providers. Plus you have no monthly excessive fee.

2. It sends messages to up to 5 different GSM numbers.

3. You can program alarms for moving (a minimum of 500 yards not to trigger false alarms), speed (if you give it to your son), geofence (you determine a territory where the bike can freely move without triggering an alarm. Plus power cut and low internal battery power alarms.

4. You can always "ask" his position by simply calling its number. It sends back immediately an SMS with the position.

5. You have a hidden emergency switch. This sends a message with "Help" and your coordinates to the stored phone numbers. You would be surprised how many people have incredible problems operating a mobile phone after an accident. Saw several times that they could not unlock their phone when help was most needed.

6. You can listen to whatever happens around the receiver as it has a small microphone too.

7. You can set the frequency of the messages freely. From every few seconds to hours between messages.

8. When there's no GPS coverage it will give the last good fix, e.g. the entrance to a covered parking lot.

Last, and best, you can switch a relay by phone. You connect this to the kill switch. In case of a stolen bike you get rather a quick alarm. So you call the cops, tell them the current position and just wait a few minutes till the thief is somewhere on a stretch of highway without exits. Then you trigger off the kill switch.

All you have to do then is to wait for the LEO to bring back your bike.

This should work well. Did it at least when we tried. The unit itself is the size of about 2 Zippo lighters, not waterproof but you can put it in a plastic bag. The separate waterproof antennas give very good reception even through the fairing plastics.

This unit cost around 130$ shipped, so it's a cheap insurance IMHO.

What you must consider is the limited number of places on a bike. BUT a thief has not much time and he will most likely try to get away as fast as possible and not try to search for hidden devices first.
Obelix ~ You have really gotten my interest with your post... however, you lost me totally with your reference to SMS, GSM, etc. For those of us here in the States who share my lack of technical expertise, are these terms descriptive of what we have available here?

Your solution sounds simple, yet elegant! I'd like to learn more. Do you have a link to further information?

Thanks for any additional information you can share! :clapping:

Don

Apparently it's not too hard to find.
Yesterday, someone had his motorcycle stolen here in Portland and it was LoJack equipped. Portland Police started to get pings later in the day. They were able to zero in on it very quickly inside a vacant house. Unfortunately, only the LoJack device was inside, the motorcycle was nowhere to be found.
Aww, man, I hate that story.

:angry2:

Obelix ~ You have really gotten my interest with your post... however, you lost me totally with your reference to SMS, GSM, etc. For those of us here in the States who share my lack of technical expertise, are these terms descriptive of what we have available here?
Your solution sounds simple, yet elegant! I'd like to learn more. Do you have a link to further information?

Thanks for any additional information you can share! :clapping:

Don
SMS/GSM and others reference cellular networks. SMS messages are typically 'texting'.

You are going to need a cellular plan for the device in addition to the price of the unit itself.

My 'snitch does alerts & tracking only, but that's pretty much good enough for me.

Shutting down the vehicle is possibly best done while the perpetrator is travelling at high speed along a busy highway - better chance of him getting killed while trying to manouever to the shoulder from the passing lane . . . and you don't want the bike back if your insurance will pay.

My '06 is covered for full replacement cost until next spring - I can only hope.

I would put a sticker tht says "THIS BIKE IS TRACKED BY GPS, IF STOLEN YOU WILL BE TRACKED AND SHOT"

I used to work for a car audio place that sold LoJack, we weren't allowed to do the installs, only the "licensed installers" were allowed to, they came in, did the install and left.

The installers were MAJOR hacks, it got to the point where after the install I would have to go back in and fix all the broken door clips and whatnot,

you couldn't PAY me to let one of those guys touch my bike,

Plus, as was mentioned, it's WAY too easy to find it on a bike, and usually the theives will tear up all the plastic just to get to it, not worth it in my opinion.

Curious???

Wouldn't a bike alarm be more prudent. Sounding alarm if bike tilted, easily concealed; no thief would know it was there until it starting yelping via siren!!!

Some even have transmitters that alert you by remote; if the bike is even touched are leaned upright.

To me, that makes more sense to know something is happening and getting to it your ride, before it's being ridden down the road.

Or some pickle-headed thief trashes your bike and runs away on foot, because he is pissed you hit the kill switch.

Then again, sport touring bikes are way down on the list of top 10 stolen bikes (reported at least)

Just a thought on that.

Like Bramfrank wrote GSM is the mobile phone service. I'm not sure of the coverage in the US of A as I was last there in 2000. In Europe and most parts of Asia as well as Africa the mobile phone network is omnipresent.

An SMS is a short message service over this same phone network (you surely know all this stuff under a different name).

Mobile phone service is dirt cheap, many companies offer free SMS service with a free subscription - the ideal combination for this device.

If you need a link to where I bought the tracker just PM me. There are different similar looking devices around that differ in quality and price. Mine worked flawlessly all summer on a 7000-mile trip.

Oh, as an aside, we had some lojack's come back due to "Rattling" apparently the installers used DUCT TAPE to hold them inside the door.....

Hacks I say!!!! :)

I have it on my bike and if the bike is moved without the key fob near the bike I get a call to my cell phone, my wife's cell phone, my home phone and two email addresses that the bike is being moved. I like it.