FJR on the Way - Suggestions

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very first farkle, a call to your credit card company to have them increase your line of credit.
We of the forum will dedicate ourselves to keeping you broke and happy.
3859677866_54900d0499_o.gif

Enabling....it's what we do! :yahoo:

Besides...some of you guys go waaaayyyyyy overboard with "farkle-itis". You need to tone it back and be more reasonable.

heh-heh-heh-heh-heh-heh-heh-heh-heh-heh

NorCal01-01-10041.jpg

CFR-Kodak224.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh the list is sooo long now. I have purchased several things already in anticipation of receiving my new friend. Frame sliders (duh and duher), tireguard TPM (had it on my R1 and that thing saved me more than once!), 90 degree metal valve stems (read the stock ones may not handle the topper), Hyper lites rear lights, G2 throttle after reading for hours about the AE and the need for smooth throttle, throttlemeister, and a new helmet, pants, jacket (gotta accessorize the skull cap and bod - plus all my crotch rocket gear went with the rocket.) I figure this is the perfect start for me to then figure out what I would like to do next. I know I have a GPS on tap with some sort of fuze block setup. Oh, I did purchase the BlueAnt F4 for this new helmet. Had it on my old one and never had an issue with it - great bluetooth and decent sound. Maybe now I can handle a phone call going more than 5 MPH with the Feejers windscreen!

Thanks again for the input - let Farkle-Fest 2010 begin!!!

Here are my suggestions (in order BTW) after 2.5 months of JOY and 8,500 miles of SAME...

1) Sliders!! T-rex offers them up for $20 FYI...

2) "Top Drawer" Safety Gear! When someone asks at a stop light why you're Leathered up on such a hot day... Respond with "I like to keep my skin ON!" They'll get a good chuckle I expect!

3) Top Drawer Rain Gear if you plan to Tour at all...

4) Windshield - I bought V-Stream - aprx $139 - again eBay...

- provides a very nice, quiet bubble to ride in if you raise it 3+ inches - of course depending upon your own height...

- retains pretty decent body airflow in the low position for those hot days

- no more helmet buffeting during the thousand of shoulder checks that we all need to do

- I really like mine!

5) YES - Increase the Line of Credit!! Good Point (@ the suggester...)

6) Radar Detector - High Caliber recommended... Voice of very BAD EXPERIENCES here... We'll know just how BAD by the end of the Aug 12 Court Time... Yep, some pretty DEEP SHIT expected now...

7) Throttle Rocker is a great long-day accessory + inexpensive... I've spent more than 12 hours in the saddle a couple times now and appreciated its presence...

8) Some HID bulbs - can be had for a song from eBay. I think you'll like them...

9) Dr. Scholl's - believe it or not!! Gel Insoles placed in an "X" for your pressure points. They do wonders for me. At $15 vs $800 + it's a great thing to try

- This tip is thanks to a post on this board (that I can not find for you unfortunately to share).

10) Get yourself a second job to cover off the enhanced Line of Credit!! 'Cause your list will eventually surpass number 10!!!

ENJOY!!!

Scott

Second Thoughts to add...

Farkles 11, 12 and 13... A couple of Freebies BTW...

- I love the throaty note of my new Hindle Supersports - YMMV...

- Open up the Intake to gain an enjoyable new note on the Intake Draw...

- Talk to some others about trying out a K&N Filter for improved Air Flow...

- I'm enjoying the results...

- I plan to share them the next time that I bum into the Dyno Truck at one of the Events for everyone's mutual info/benefit...

Congrats on your new scooter and like you have gravitated to a sport tourer. I have a 08AE and you will get used to the new style clutch and enjoy the ride. Best advice I can give is a Rifle Shield and Russell seat. Not sure if yours has risers but that is something to consider along with changing the position of the bars. But before you do anything get the bike and just ride. You will find out what you need to change once miles start adding up on it. There are a number of sliders on the market, I have a set of OES, but so far haven't had to use them. Good luck and welcome to the family.

Hi Skruffy:

I'm a new owner of an 09AE that was new off of the floor. I have had it 2.5 months and already put 3700+ miles on it. I can't seem to stop riding. Anyway I am looking for some farkles and I have been scolded for not having sliders on my bike, if you are looking to sell your set please let me know.

Thanks,

Mojomedicrn

Congrats on your new scooter and like you have gravitated to a sport tourer. I have a 08AE and you will get used to the new style clutch and enjoy the ride. Best advice I can give is a Rifle Shield and Russell seat. Not sure if yours has risers but that is something to consider along with changing the position of the bars. But before you do anything get the bike and just ride. You will find out what you need to change once miles start adding up on it. There are a number of sliders on the market, I have a set of OES, but so far haven't had to use them. Good luck and welcome to the family.

Hi Skruffy:

I'm a new owner of an 09AE that was new off of the floor. I have had it 2.5 months and already put 3700+ miles on it. I can't seem to stop riding. Anyway I am looking for some farkles and I have been scolded for not having sliders on my bike, if you are looking to sell your set please let me know.

Thanks,

Mojomedicrn
I think he means he hasn't had an "UHOH" moment - which is a good thing! I found sliders out there pretty reasonable.

As you've seen there's LOTS of farkle opportunities - some are more specialized than others. I've had my FJR since the beginining of April and have about 4700kms on it - mostly commuting, but i've had a couple of highway trips. Here's my priority list of farkles ...

1. Frame Sliders - Like most others have said, the frame sliders are the obvious first thing - I bought my GSG sliders before my dealer pulled the 09 out of the crate and had them put the sliders on when they put it together.

2. Topcase - if you're going to go anywhere, the a topcase makes sense, but get the SR357 bracket for whatever topbox mount (ie Givi or whatever). It's a heavy duty piece and supports a lot more weight than the regular bracket.

3. Taller windscreen - depends completely on how tall you are, but likely you'll want a taller screen for highway speeds at least. I went with the Rifle.

4. Switched Power/Fuse panel - Something not mentioned already is power and fuses for all the electronic farkles like GPS, intercom, heated jacket etc. I installed a Centech switched fuse panel on mine right away. I had a GPS, Starcom Digital and Gerbing heated jacket connection from my previous bike to move over to the new bike, but if you have plans to add any of that kind stuff, get a switched power/fuse panel. There's lots of info here on the forum for Centech and other types.

I've added a bunch of other stuff - VStrom handguards, Garmin Zumo 550, a tank bag, Gerbings power for the jacket, Throttlemeister, throttle rocker. To come is a Spot2, additional brakelights, antenna for my 2-way radio, aux power sockets for charging iPhone, iPad etc while on the road, touring tank bag.

ian

Skip everything else you might be considering. The annual Russell Group Buy is going on right now. It'll be another year before the discounts happen. Other than suspension upgrades, it's the single best thing you can do for your bike.

Just ask those who spend years and cash trying to avoid it.

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?showtopic=131104

WOW - What an OBJECTIVE!!! Flying on the Ground!!

That never happened - Right?!?!?

Looking forward to the Project's Completion and then some help to clone it!!

Big Grin!

Scott

p.s. Private VFR Night License only, so I might be able to save a few gazillion bucks by not "quite" cloning yours!!! Cheers!!

The BEST farkle is a membership fee to the Candy Butt Association! :yahoo:

No aux seats needed, no tires get worn down... truly a win-win!

Damn I have spent more on farkles in the last 3 days and I still don't have the bike yet! UGH farkle anonymous here I come!! It isn't a real surprise since I do this EVERY time. Thanks to all on this site. I am spending way too much time on this site.

Just fit the following and you will be pleased- see signature
Andy
Nice. Have now spent a little time on the Scrib FJR website. Easier for me to track my farkles, current and future, plus I love doing sites. Check it out if any of you get a chance. Yes, it's from a template (I don't do these for a living, but can code) and I know it isn't finished!

CLICKY

Let the love-fest begin :yahoo:

Last edited by a moderator: