FJR Rider Spending Survey

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What have you spent more money on?

• Farkles for comfort (solo and 2up)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Electronic Gadgets

• Suspension and Performance

• Long Distance Upgrades

• Total voters
And don't forget the skull tire valve covers. :glare:
I was actually given one of these the day I brought my bike home by a good friend who's very into Harleys. I put it on my bike (to make her feel good) until the weight of the skull aided the splitting of the front tire's valve stem. I was on my way home from Shady Valley, TN when, at about 45-50 MPH my front tire decided to go flat (the stem was split) Quite a hairy experience! That was the moment that it never went back on the bike.

The funny thing quite a few months earlier when I took it to the dealer to have the YES transferred over into my name, the guy who came outside to look at my bike pointed out the fact that the weight of those chrome skulls are known for splitting valves stems at high speeds. Well, I figured that I really never break triple digits... so, I'd be golden! WRONG!

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm on my second FJR, and I haven't spent $0.10 for farkles on either one. A very wise man once told me that customizations to vehicles are a poor investment; at best, you lose everything you spent when you sell the vehicle, at worst, the customizations make the vehicle too personal and you lose money on the entire vehicle. The insurance company confirmed this during the negotiations after the nice man in the pickup made a mess out of my first FJR.

In my younger years I ignored this advice repeatedly, and it bit me in the ass every time. Even worse, the customizations attract a lot of attention that I don't want. Every aftermarket stereo I've ever installed has been stolen. The only custom paint job I ever sprung for got keyed within a month. I souped up my 72 Chevy in high school, but I couldn't even go to the grocery store in it without an impromptu roadside inspection by the local constabulary; when it was time to move on I couldn't sell it, ended up donating it to the kidney foundation for the tax receipt.

I have some minor complaints about the bike, but it comes so much closer than any other bike I've owned to being exactly what I want, that I can't justify the comparatively high cost to make it marginally better.

On the other hand, I've dropped a ton of cash on gear, and will most likely continue to do so.

Chris

Every aftermarket stereo I've ever installed has been stolen. The only custom paint job I ever sprung for got keyed within a month. I souped up my 72 Chevy in high school, but I couldn't even go to the grocery store in it without an impromptu roadside inspection by the local constabulary;
What Canada do you live in? Bizarre-o Canada? :rolleyes:

I saw the movie Canadian bacon, Them Canadians seemed like 'right nice folks', even with the anti-Canadian war time propaganda strewn throughout the movie.

Every aftermarket stereo I've ever installed has been stolen. The only custom paint job I ever sprung for got keyed within a month. I souped up my 72 Chevy in high school, but I couldn't even go to the grocery store in it without an impromptu roadside inspection by the local constabulary;
What Canada do you live in? Bizarre-o Canada? :rolleyes:

I saw the movie Canadian bacon, Them Canadians seemed like 'right nice folks', even with the anti-Canadian war time propaganda strewn throughout the movie.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

A very wise man once told me that customizations to vehicles are a poor investment; at best, you lose everything you spent when you sell the vehicle, at worst, the customizations make the vehicle too personal and you lose money on the entire vehicle. The insurance company confirmed this during the negotiations after the nice man in the pickup made a mess out of my first FJR.
I see what your wise man is saying but don't agree. My bike is customized for my riding comfort, rather than to maintain resale value. I have handlebar risers (removable), lowering kit (removable), custom seat, after-market electric outlet, and sliders (removable). These items make my bike much more rideable for me. I plan on keeping it for a very long time, because the mods make it such a great bike for me.

Jill

Bump...you new guys should chime in on this survey...the more people that submit information, the more valuable this survey is

After pulling all of my records and receipts for the claims adjuster this week, I figger I could have bought a small, South American country with change leftover for a bed full of senoritas for what I have into the FJR.

:blink:

After pulling all of my records and receipts for the claims adjuster this week, I figger I could have bought a small, South American country with change leftover for a bed full of senoritas for what I have into the FJR.
Well, it would be better if we could convince vendors we spend more than that.

:ph34r:

I'll try not to be embarrassed by my low farkle expenditure (so far), but I've only had the bike a month, haven't made my first payment yet and have spent twice the payment on farkles. For the last two weeks the bike's been in pieces in the garage while I get some lettering done on the tank. I'm taking advantage of the downtime to farkle. Every afternoon I anxiously run to the mailbox and front porch to see what's arrived.

I'll post pics when the tank returns.

Craig

PS - So where's my free stuff? :D

PS - So where's my free stuff?
Since Orangevalefjr is the swag-meister for WFO this year, my guess is that your stuff will be amongst the door prizes and give-aways at WFO. If you can't make it, you can count on some others enjoying it for you. :yahoo:

Last edited by a moderator:
A very wise man once told me that customizations to vehicles are a poor investment; at best, you lose everything you spent when you sell the vehicle, at worst, the customizations make the vehicle too personal and you lose money on the entire vehicle. The insurance company confirmed this during the negotiations after the nice man in the pickup made a mess out of my first FJR.
I see what your wise man is saying but don't agree. My bike is customized for my riding comfort, rather than to maintain resale value. I have handlebar risers (removable), lowering kit (removable), custom seat, after-market electric outlet, and sliders (removable). These items make my bike much more rideable for me. I plan on keeping it for a very long time, because the mods make it such a great bike for me.

Jill
+1

It's my bike, if I bought as an investment I'd be called an idiot or a HD owner. No offense to HD owners it's just some seem to think it's an investment as opposed to a motorcycle :unsure: .To each there own, that's why we got a guy trying to sell his 4 yo HD that I could buy off the showroom for 16,000 brand new for 25,000 because of "investments" in chrome :wacko: . If I customize it for me I don't expect others to pay for it as if it's brand new,that's just dumb.

I customize it to MY specs and what I want, not what the next owner might not want, let them deal w/ it. Besides I plan on riding this thing 'til the wheels fall off. :p That's why I'm outting money into it every year, not a ton like some but enough for me to love it more every year.

I got the country next to it. We should have a war, or a BBQ, I gots all these spare virgins..... :p

I got the country next to it. We should have a war, or a BBQ, I gots all these spare virgins..... :p
:dribble: So then you must be having "runway" competitions wearing full regalia, i.e., tiara and cape?

Just voted !!!!!!Adding up what receipts I still have, etc, etc = SCARY !! I had no idea I'd spent that much. :eek:
The wife add's up my receipts,

then demands she gets to spend the same on golf

thats REALLY SCARY.

Chris

geez...I notice some people are only putting on 5k to 10k miles per year. What?? Do you live in nunavit, canada with only a one month riding season? I don't commute, have a 6 to 9 month riding season, can't ride every weekend, take a few long weekends, one weeklong trip per year and I get over 10k on the deal. I wish I did over 20k miles per year. Some day I will move south and will...

Lets not start propagating a bunch of garage queens....I thought this was THE long distance machine? :)

I'll try not to be embarrassed by my low farkle expenditure (so far), but I've only had the bike a month, haven't made my first payment yet and have spent twice the payment on farkles. For the last two weeks the bike's been in pieces in the garage while I get some lettering done on the tank. I'm taking advantage of the downtime to farkle. Every afternoon I anxiously run to the mailbox and front porch to see what's arrived.
I'll post pics when the tank returns.

Craig

PS - So where's my free stuff? :D
Me too. I've only had my AE for 10 days and so far I've installed a throttlemeister, throttle boss, and headlight modulator. I also ordered a new matching helmet, a new jacket, iPOD, and a new one piece rainsuit. I want to get risers, sliders, and a touring windshield.. :rolleyes: