FJR Riders and crashing

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keithaba

Reaction score
After reading about some of our forums most recent crashes, one statement stood out.

"when are folks gonna realize these aren't R1's?" - Radman.

So I pose the following questions,

1. Do FJR riders push this bike too hard? :bb: :bb2:

2. Would we still have crashed if we were riding R1s?

3. What percentage of bikers do crash?

4. What causes FJR riders to crash?

In my opinion

1. Riding any bike carries inherant risks, I think we all know that. From my experience on this forum, I think many FJR riders to push the bike, but isn't that what everyone does on a sports bike??? However, this isn't a sports bike... or is it??????? :dntknw:

2. I'd probably be dead instead of just needing tupperwear and subframes. Again, sporty bikes are designed to be ridden hard. I think that all of us that have crashed would probably be in the same boat on an R1.

3. Probably a lot. At this point, I think I accept crashing as a risk of my riding style, so the question becomes, are you willing to risk your arse for a hobby you love?

4. So far most of the posts are rider error during riding hard. Like myself, most of us can own up and just admit we f#*@ed up. If you looked over the ST1300 forum, would there be as many crashes???

This is an interesting topic, so lets keep it civil and on topic. No matter what you opinion is, I'm interested in hearing it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Excellent post, Keith. :good:

Here's my take on my situation... I wasn't speeding - I was actually 10 MPH below the posted limit of 45. Had I been on an R1, I would prolly have been 10 over and in much more physical pain. I'm am now a statistic on the 'crash' side of the ledger. So much for a 1/5 million miles of accident free riding. I was completely chillin' and simply fucked up losing focus - that's my story and I'm stickin' to it.

I think in most cases of single vehicle accidents, it is most likely that a huge proportion is attributable to rider error - even if that means there was sand in the corner that you hit and sent you flying. On the other hand, shit happens and some schmo can take you out vis-a-vis, the zzkenoman accident. It's a crap shoot, so suit-up and try to have the odds in your favor when the crash does come.

I think that the style of bike that the FJR is lends to keeping me in a frame of mind that I'm NOT on a full sport bike. If I rode an R1 I'd be tempted to use for its intended purpose...racing. When I'm on the FJR I tend to have a mindset of "sporty touring" as opposed to a "racetrack" mentality.

In my case there were some equipment contributors but the main cause of my fall down was simple. I pushed slightly past my abilities. I went boom.

I've thought a lot about it. Re-examined the scenario. Etc, etc. I must remember to stay within MY comfort zone and just enjoy the ride.

After reading about some of our forums most recent crashes, one statement stood out.
"when are folks gonna realize these aren't R1's?" - Radman.

So I pose the following questions,

1. Do FJR riders push this bike too hard? :bb: :bb2:

2. Would we still have crashed if we were riding R1s?

3. What percentage of bikers do crash?

4. What causes FJR riders to crash?

In my opinion

1. Riding any bike carries inherant risks, I think we all know that. From my experience on this forum, I think many FJR riders to push the bike, but isn't that what everyone does on a sports bike??? However, this isn't a sports bike... or is it??????? :dntknw:

2. I'd probably be dead instead of just needing tupperwear and subframes. Again, sporty bikes are designed to be ridden hard. I think that all of us that have crashed would probably be in the same boat on an R1.

3. Probably a lot. At this point, I think I accept crashing as a risk of my riding style, so the question becomes, are you willing to risk your arse for a hobby you love?

4. So far most of the posts are rider error during riding hard. Like myself, most of us can own up and just admit we f#*@ed up. If you looked over the ST1300 forum, would there be as many crashes???

This is an interesting topic, so lets keep it civil and on topic. No matter what you opinion is, I'm interested in hearing it.
Shouldn't the question....how many of the crashers came from cruisers as opposed to sport bikes also be asked?....

My oopsie was losing focus for a split second, if that. Or was it that woman (5 minutes before) at the convenience store that kept telling me to be careful... I'm not sure. I wasn't sporting.... I was riding down the road.

In my case there were some equipment contributors but the main cause of my fall down was simple. I pushed slightly past my abilities. I went boom.I've thought a lot about it. Re-examined the scenario. Etc, etc. I must remember to stay within MY comfort zone and just enjoy the ride.
That's the real catch, for those of us that ride pretty hard, the "comfort zone" and pushing it too hard is a fine fine line. That line becomes even more blurry when you are experiencing an adrenaline rush from the last set of twisties you just carved up.

As a member of the crash club I don't know that I became too adventurous that day exactly 13 months ago.

Coming down a badly-kept mountain road at 30-35 MPH my front wheel washed out on a right-hander. It was a layer of sandy runoff from the previous rains and you could not see it.

A guy on an R-1 that came around the same bend 10 mins later nearly went the same way before we could wave him down. But he was riding solo and he regained control of the bike.

Did I lose concentration because of the low speed? Dunno. All I can tell you is I've been watching the road surface with eagle eyes since. If there's as much

as an M&M on the tarmac I freeze. :unsure:

Stef

well Keith, since you are one of the guys who crashed recently maybe you could start us off with answers to your crash situation?
Mine was a combo of rider error and stupidity. I passed on a double yellow line. As soon as I got around the truck, the pucker factor set in. I think I had more target fixation than anything, I do beleive if I didn't fixate on the ditch, I could have made that turn.

I don't really think for me it was riding above my ability, as much as passing in a stupid spot at the wrong time. I'd chock that up to lack of attention of upcoming road rather than riding beyone my ability.

So far most of the posts are rider error during riding hard.
Are you sure of this? In my case it was a simple case of being distracted. I was at the speed limit (55mph) & looked for the rider behind me in the rear view mirror a moment too long on a chip/seal road in a curve. Rider error. I have often thought that if I had been riding a little more aggressively I probably would not have crashed as I would have been paying more attention to my riding.

Mine was at the end of some nice riding in Ohio, if it were to happen it should have on some of those roads, not when finished for the day, just an unfortunate thing of not knowing where I was and that the exit was different than a normal on ramp, couldn't see the gravel that someone appeared to dump on the ramp.

one moment I was up the next I was down and sliding along side my bike on the pavement.

I would say the sun played a key point in my Debacle, I have had close calls but always had enough control to let the bike save me. Just not this day as no chance to do so, other than not being first in line, even if a cage would have been in front of me i would have had a chance to see the entrance ramp path more clearly and may have seen the gravel.

Then got up, fellow riders assisted with bike pick up and quick, look-see and off I was 300 miles to get home....

Are you sure of this? In my case it was a simple case of being distracted. I was at the speed limit (55mph) & looked for the rider behind me in the rear view mirror a moment too long on a chip/seal road in a curve. Rider error.
Commonly called "rider **** up" here (excuse my french) or a more polite term....."rider brain fade".....both amount to the same thing though..... :rolleyes: ....

Bottom line;

Unless your somehow taken out by someone/thing else, or some type of mechanical issue, it's rider error.

Are you sure of this?
Not so much any more. It seems like a lapse of attention may be an even more common cluprit.

Like in my situation, I know passing was a rider error, because I wasn't putting safety first. But was passing that guy riding above my ability??? I don't think so, he was only going about 30.... :dntknw: