FJR Riders and crashing

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
3. At this point, I think I accept crashing as a risk of my riding style, so the question becomes, are you willing to risk your arse for a hobby you love?
this is where i think we disagree. i'll have to agree with the writer who compared 2 schools of throught.

the first was the group that looked at all trips as a sum-total risk and that the more you rode, the more likely you were to wreck. sort of like drawing a limited number of lots from a hat that decreased after each drawing; eventually your number will be up and that's when you crash. it's that whole "those who have and those who will crash" mindset.

the second was that each ride was it's own "universe" the probability variable get reset each time. if there's a 5% chance that all riders wreck then it's 5% each time (not 5% then 8% then 12% and so on as you ride again and again). your skill, your attitude, your respect for prevailing conditions and everything else come into play with each ride.

in the statement above, i would surmise that simply resigning yourself to such a mindset would increase your odds of wrecking for no other reason that the fatalism it embraces. sort of a "well hell, we all gotta go sometime" approach that thinks nothing of letting a little sloppy thinking in (toward any number of things that could affect the outcome of a ride - safety, awareness, outriding your sight line, etc.). eh, so what? i'm bound to wreck eventually, what's another 2, or 3 or 4 tenths on public roads?

I passed on a double yellow line.
I do beleive ... I could have made that turn.
really? double yellow through a corner?

EEK!

I nearly dropped mine in a very similar situation the other day, front end started to wash as I hit gravel turning on to a country road. I jammed my left foot down and saved it. It's not necessarily wise, was just my reaction from years in the dirt. My leg was sore for two days. Damn these things are heavy.
did the same thing with an 84 GL1200a Gold Wing. The guy behind me came up to me at the next stop, slapped me on the back, grinned real nice-like and proclaimed, "damned! nice save!" my leg was sore for 2 or 3 days afterwards, too.

you think an fjr is heavy... :rolleyes:

I will add my crash that totaled an '04. Nice sunny Sunday. Went into a shaded corner were somebody had spilled diesel fuel. Saw the color change on the pavement but there are a lot of color changes on Texas farm to market roads so did not consider it a problem. WOW! Let me tell you about slick and how fast a front wheel can tuck when contacting that fluid. One minute everything is fine, next, sliding down the road wondering what the F@#$. Had the proper gear on and did not get a scratch. Bike slid down the road and into a small drainage ditch where it (the bike) decided to flip over on it's other side so both sides could get torn up. The guy behind me tried to react but he also made contact with the diesel fuel and he skidded into the ditch and went over the bars and broke his shoulder and some ribs. His bike did not get totaled.

Like has been said, most single bike accidents are rider error. I have been riding for over 40 years and have had my share of get offs. The racing ones were not surprises, just come with the territory. The rest have been surprises but when looking back, the signals were there but I overlooked them. My crashes have been due to my errors.

Ok, here's mine:

Rural "T" intersection... riding from right on top of "T", I want to turn left.

Intersection looks a bit dicey; tar and chip with the tar on the surface from vehicle traffic and the pavement was crowned about twice what it ought to have been. So I slow to very slow... maybe 5, maybe ten, maybe fifteen... but in any case, SLOW. Passenger is on back.

Intersection pavement was fully as dicey as it looked... but I did not know two things. First, another vehicle had spilled fuel on the tarry surface, melting it. Second, the few clouds that were around that day put a spritz of raindrops onto the fuel-slickened tar.

I complete my turn and the bike is now vertical... or nearly so... cannot say for sure. Brain fully engaged by all that is going on, I carefully apply throttle, but the abruptness of the '06 throttle on the slick surface spins the rear tire. Since the road has twice the amount of cross slope as normal, I am on my ass in a heartbeat.

We were going so slow that neither of our helmets contacted the pavement and the bike halts it's forward slide in between five and ten feet. Unfortunately, my left foot is stuck underneath and as the bike slides, my foot hits on its left side and is rotated to the point where the joint opens up, pops the larger inside bone past the joint and it then breaks the small bone next to it. $10k damage to me, $3k damage to the bike.

This was my first fall in about 200k miles. Last time, it was a left hand turn at an intersection leaving Key West... where someone had spilled fuel on the asphalt.

Had any of the ingredients to my FJR spill been omitted, it might not've occurred. Whose "fault" is it? Well, no one but me was directing the events. But, the investigating officer did not ticket me since he could raise a furrow of the tarry surface with the edge of his shoe and I was stone sober. Our riding clothes, the cop's feet and the EMT's knees were all covered in the tarry mess.

Don't think it "can't happen to me," because it can. It might be while you're riding, it might be as you get into the tub and slip or walking across the street. Everyone's vulnerable.

Last edited by a moderator:
As i was reding all the post's i was thinking the FJR boost's our "cofidents " leavels up and is so smooth we do not realize how fast we are going or how heavy the fjr is realy is. When I'am riding my harley it clanks and clunks but you know how fast your going because it scares daylights out of ya but on the fjr it's so smooth it dosen't feel like i'am moving at 50-or 60 mph and when i put a fullface helmet on I go even faster. So for me I do not wish to go down so my thoughts are to "SLOWDOWN SO I DONT GO DOWN " keeps my pee brain in check.

Cart

I can honestly say I have crashed once and it was completely my fault. I was on a borrowed bike (my brothers) and was "speed Testing" it. He had not hooked up the front brakes yet AND HE TOLD ME THAT. Yes I took it beyond the envelope anyway. My fault 100% I hit a house at speed.

The incident the other day was inattention hitting the danger zone at a buck ten. In contrast, This morning on the way to work a Cager tried to take me out and I was!! paying attention. Fucker Missed me.... Oh, He tried but I saw his ass. Nothing most of us have not experienced some cager making a left and not seeing me.

I have to take responsibility for all of my close calls, and my crash. So far a bike has not failed me. That leaves me.

BTW Did you hear the one about the tee-shirt R6 rider in Utah yesterday that took on an FJR at a light on a limited access highway.

Dam those bikes are fast......... He almost beat the FJR. Little guy prolly weighed 125 lbs and the Alleged FJR rider is 275 and loaded bags. But that is a rumor of a remote empty road. Could be a fabrication, But that little R6 allegedly stayed with the FJR all the way to 135

I mean it could have happened that way, if you believe it happened at all. And had he crashed, It would have been my fault again

I'm no statistician, but... I don't see any evidence that FJR riders, or the bike, is any more crash prone than any other riders or bikes. Other riders and bikes 1). get into altercations with cages; 2) are guilty of pilot error; 3) are victims of road hazards. If, indeed, a higher percentage of FJR riders have crashed as a result of these, then I believe that could be explained by the (very likely) notion that FJR riders, on average, log much higher mileage per rider/day. It would be my guess that, mile-for-mile, FJR riders are LESS crash prone than the general motorcycle populace. I say this because it seems clear FJR riders are: 1) more experienced; 2) more mature; 3) far more serious students of the sport (skills, training, gear, machines, cognizance, etc.) than the average rider. One mitigating factor may be, because of their more serious approach to the sport, they may also push the "sport" aspect envelope more aggressively than some.

At any rate, my hypothesis is not backed with any hard facts, but neither is a supposition that FJR riders are more prone to crashing PER RIDER MILE than any other group.

Incidentally, I have not crashed my five-year-old FJR and have not crashed any other of my bikes in 30 years. I do ride somewhat aggressively at times. My only real close call, about 15 years ago aboard my old 1100F Honda, was a hard left with suddenly broken pavement and loose material in my line, so drifted to the right and...encountered more broken pavement and loose material, so opted to ride off the road rather than a probable low-side. Fortunately, I was only doing about 30 and there was a nice grassy run-off. I got it slowed and stopped - upright - before I got into the tree stumps and fence that were ahead.

I'm no statistician, but... I don't see any evidence that FJR riders, or the bike, is any more crash prone than any other riders or bikes. Other riders and bikes 1). get into altercations with cages; 2) are guilty of pilot error; 3) are victims of road hazards. If, indeed, a higher percentage of FJR riders have crashed as a result of these, then I believe that could be explained by the (very likely) notion that FJR riders, on average, log much higher mileage per rider/day. It would be my guess that, mile-for-mile, FJR riders are LESS crash prone than the general motorcycle populace. I say this because it seems clear FJR riders are: 1) more experienced; 2) more mature; 3) far more serious students of the sport (skills, training, gear, machines, cognizance, etc.) than the average rider. One mitigating factor may be, because of their more serious approach to the sport, they may also push the "sport" aspect envelope more aggressively than some.
At any rate, my hypothesis is not backed with any hard facts, but neither is a supposition that FJR riders are more prone to crashing PER RIDER MILE than any other group.

Incidentally, I have not crashed my five-year-old FJR and have not crashed any other of my bikes in 30 years. I do ride somewhat aggressively at times. My only real close call, about 15 years ago aboard my old 1100F Honda, was a hard left with suddenly broken pavement and loose material in my line, so drifted to the right and...encountered more broken pavement and loose material, so opted to ride off the road rather than a probable low-side. Fortunately, I was only doing about 30 and there was a nice grassy run-off. I got it slowed and stopped - upright - before I got into the tree stumps and fence that were ahead.
+1 "Very Good"

I haven't read about the crashes but I thought I would respond based on my own experiences.

I have a sportbike and after I've ridden it for a while, I get very used to how it brakes, corners, and performs.

When I get on our FJR, I have to remember and sometimes re-experience a few things to ride it safely:

> It doesn't corner like my sportbike.

> The tires don't grip like my sportbike tires do.

> It is a lot heavier than my sportbike; it will not stop in as short a distance as my sportbike.

> The chassis does not respond the same to road conditions or cornering as my sportbike.

There may be other factors for other people but these are the factors that effect my safety on our FJR.

After owning a goldwing (GL1800) for a year and a half there are things I have to remember too

1. It does not corner like my Goldwing

2. It does not weigh as much as my Goldwing

3. It does not accelerate like my Goldwing

4. The tires dont grip like my Goldwing

5. It uses a different amount of space to stop than my Goldwing

6. It does not cost the same as my Goldwing

7. The tires dont last as long as my Goldwing

8. I dont need the Goldwing. I sold it

I agree this is not a sport bike at all. But if you are used to trying to be sporty on a Goldwing it is like a Feather Weight Rocket Ship........

Haven't crashed in 40 years (knock, knock, knock on head!) - the only time I did was on a Suzuki X-6 Hustler doing less than 30mph

Cadillac turned out of a parking lot and was coming down the street on the wrong side of the road... hit it head on, but no injuries - just messed up the front end of the bike that was less than two weeks old... :glare:

As one of the newer people here let me say thanks for your stories. I am learning alot from them.

My short story is, 5am going to work, left hand turn, BIG F---n Deer running from the left, me sliding down the road.

#1 gear is great!!!

#2 gear is great!!!

#3 wear your gear!!

Chuck

I hit a deer last year. It did not take me down.

Was like this. I was on my GL1800 at the time

Leaving Home. Puttering down second street from my house. Doin bout 30 in a 35, mebbe only 25 and that because I know I have seen deer in this exact spot a gazillion times. Bright Lites on, Pia lites on.... whole deal

[SIZE=14pt]FLASH!!!!!! (brain sez Phhuuuuuuuccccc)[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Something appears in my lights 2 feet in front of my bike.[/SIZE]

Front end of bike shimmies [SIZE=14pt]hard[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]FLASH!!!!! It was gone[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]I reolize what had just happened. I deer had jumped in front of my bike and landed RIGHT!! in front of my bike.[/SIZE]

As he jumped away I caught a piece of him with the front of my bike.

So I am now going 15 miles an hour saying inside my helmet "No F*&KIN WAY did that just happen" "No Phukin WAY!!!!!"

I think. Hey I gotta check the bike since I am getting ready to get on the freeway. I turn around and the deer is gone. I check the front of my bike and I gor a coupole small tufts of fur in a few seams where farkles are mounted

I get to a more main road and take it to freeway speed, Solid as a rock

I get to work and pull into my warehouse and hit the floods. Not a damm thing wrong with my bike... I needed some new clean drawers but that was it.

That is my story and I am sticking to it

Sticking to your drawers?...........eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

I spose I'll throw my crash story in here. I crashed her last year at EOM in fact...riding above my abilities (had the bike 3 months) Front tire skipped in a corner, stood her up and then a guard rail brought me to an abrupt stop. I'm sure the bike would have been fine with the little skip...I'd like to think now I could handle it...next time I'll low side before I panic and stand the bike up. Crash and learn...

I spose I'll throw my crash story in here. I crashed her last year at EOM in fact...riding above my abilities (had the bike 3 months) Front tire skipped in a corner, stood her up and then a guard rail brought me to an abrupt stop. I'm sure the bike would have been fine with the little skip...I'd like to think now I could handle it...next time I'll low side before I panic and stand the bike up. Crash and learn...
Nod, and don't forget, your front tire was pretty frickin shot at that point toooo :)

Hmmm, my thoughts.

I've had two "real wrecks" in the last 42 years of riding. On on a dirt bike at 60 mph in the desert and the other on a street bike. Both my fault. One expects it while riding a dirt bike.

Having said that I have the opinion that those coming from cruisers have advantages and disadvantages. My cruiser (vs sport bike background) background provides the following benefit. The FJR performs so much better than I ever thought a motorcycle could, that I haven't even approached the limits of it's abilities! As I study and learn more, I push the envelope a little more. However, I don't, my age, anticipate ever trying to push it beyond it's limits as mine are reached before the bikes are.

The flip side of that argument is that those coming from sport bike/racing backgrounds should be "better trained". They should be more proficient than those coming from just a cruiser background.

As with all generalizations, there are exceptions.

I also think that while most accidents are a result of "operator error", most would agree that even while operating most conservatively, accidents can and will happen. Operating on public highways, even if familiar, there is always the chance that "conditions" have changed. That diesel spill, sand, gravel, water, black ice, etc. etc. etc. Most of us would admit that we ride "too fast for conditions" if there is a spill just around the corner. If we rode slowly enough to take the "remote" chance there is a road full of oil just around the next corner, we would be arrested for driving too slowly.

So, there is always that element of "chance" which unfortunately on a motorcycle can be quite painful.

Just my thoughts.. I also think motorcycle defensive driving is much more important and complex than it is in a car, because of the stakes involved in an motorcycle accident.

LC