FJR Seat- Got to go!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dscar4u

Reaction score
Well I ordered my seat last week and luckily I stumbled into the last opening left for the mail in 1 day service for my new Russell seat, (Otherwise mid April before I would get it). I tried a Corbin and no offense to anyone but it was like a rock. I liked the pocket but ughhh.... it was hard. I think I am too heavy for the stock seat. 255lbs causes me sore rear in about 30 minutes.

I also purchased an original seat from off this forum from a fellow rider. (thanks’ to Bill)

I am still in need of a rear seat. That way when I upgrade to a newer bike <2012, I can put the original seats back on.

BTW….If anybody has a rear seat hit me up. I may be interested.

Anyways I sent off my seat and it’s scheduled to be back at my house on Monday. It’s in transit now so I can't wait.

I will post a pic or 2 and give my two cents once I have it on my bike.

Stay tuned!

I also ordered mcl riser blocks so they go on this weekend as well. :)

Good time’s awaiting!!!!!

When I got my Corbin I heard that there were two types of people when it came to them Those that love them and those that hate them. Very little middle ground. I am on the love side. I was extremely uncomfortable after 100 miles on the stock seat. Apparently my ass fits the Corbin perfect. It doesn't feel hard to me. I have my stock seats, but I think I will hold on to them. As for the Russells, there have been very few negative comments about them. Especially if they are fittted for them.

Keep us posted and I hope you can find a good deal on a stock rear seat. For the readership I was very happy with the stock seat. My old 64 year old ass did fine on a Florida/California round trip. However because of my 29 inch inseam I wanted a lower seat and got the Corbin. Well as others advised it doesn't feel much lower or very little difference. But I do like a hard seat that doesn't compress very much. A hard seat properly shaped seems to work for me. Also while the stock seat looks ok the Corbin looks better.

Best wishes, Bill

Best of success with the new saddle - I've heard many, many great reports about them.

Being a big, dumb, insensitive male, I've ridden the stock saddle on my Hondapotamus for 10+ years. I'm not sure what adjustments Don had done to the stock saddle on the FJR formerly known as Miss Lucy Liu, but my caboose had NO complaints in the 440 mile ride home.

But that's just me.

Seats aren't hard to find on eBay, but. Gen II and Gen III (2013) seats are the same. If you don't need a stock seat for anything else, then just swap 'em when you upgrade. problem solved.

Man, today is moving like a turtle!!!!! My seat is in Austin and schdeuled to be delivered to my house today. I have not rode my bike in about a week and a half.

I may need to go take a motorcycle traning class to relearn how to ride.
smile.png

Corbin seats are designed to do one thing: make you sit on your sit bones (or, properly the ischial tuberosity). Bicycle riders have known for years the secret to riding comfortably all day is to align yourself properly so your weight rests on your sit bones on a firm seat (have you ever noticed long distance riders have small, firm seats?). Most people, unfortunately, do not have proper posture on the FJR, and rest on their tail bone, thus needing a big cushy seat (Read up on "master yoda riding position for details).

This pic illustrates your sit bones:

https://www.noelkingsley.com/blog/ischial%20tuberosities.bmp

And this pic illustrates proper posture to get your weight on to your sit bones:

https://sharonstarika.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/Slide03.jpg

Unfortunately, most people slump when they ride, thus keeping their hips rolled back. When you read the master yoda riding position document, it tells you that you need to roll your hips forward, and straighten your back, thus aligning your hips to put the weight on your hip bones.

What the Corbin seat does is create a pocket for your sit bones. But, if you sit incorrectly, as most people do, your weight is on your tail bone, and it will be uncomfortable. IMHO, and MHO alone, seats such as the Russel are a bandaid to the underlying problem of improper posture.

Congrats on your decision to purchase a Russell seat. Best seat out there for long distance IMHO. Concur on the Corbin. They have always been way to hard in stock form for my taste too.

When I purchased the 06 FJR my wife and I took an upholstery class at our local adult ed school where I fabricated my own seat useing the stock base but used different foam and a Pugee (gel) pad on top and covered in vinyl. I can now ride 600 to 800 mi. days and I'm disabled. Not too shabby. Your Russell will allow you to do this with no problem. You made a good choice. PM. ><>

I've been riding with the stock seat since day one. 6 or 700 mile days no problem. I do believe Networkguy got this right. A change in riding habit is cheaper than a new seat IMHO

This pic illustrates your sit bones:

https://www.noelkings...uberosities.bmp

Yup. Those are the ones that hurt. My back is fine, but the sit bones hurt with either the stock seat or the Russell. That said, when the Russell was ordered I was at 180#, Now I'm at 160#. Also I should send the seat back to Russell because it's always been too wide. And I think I'd like it a bit thicker with firmer foam under the sit bones because I seem to "bottom out". I realize this would make the seat higher, but I have a 32" inseam, so I'd be ok with that. I guess I have a skinny boney ass.

I've tried Yoda, but It made no difference.

A change in riding habit is cheaper than a new seat IMHO
Add a pair of bicycle shorts as your base layer and you can damn near be comfortable sitting on the frame rails. Bike shorts + just about any seat = all day comfort. YMMV

A change in riding habit is cheaper than a new seat IMHO
Add a pair of bicycle shorts as your base layer and you can damn near be comfortable sitting on the frame rails. Bike shorts + just about any seat = all day comfort. YMMV
Including your R1 seat? If so.... you're one tuff son%^*bitch...

Last edited by a moderator:
Including your R1 seat?
NO! I've gotten so old I'm scared of that R1 thing now so I don't ride it too far any more. The R1 "seat" is more like a suggestion of a seat. Can't really tell the difference between the rider's perch and the plastic cowl that goes where the passenger "seat" used to go.

I use the master yoda riding technique and though it extends the comfort time somewhat, the stock seat doesn't cut if for me. I'm ten days into my Russell build cycle now and can't wait to receive it.

I had riser blocks on my FJR and though it helped some with the stenosis in my neck and arthritis in my spine and all my joints, I replaced the blocks with the MCL riser plate to reduce the reach a little bit more.

I'm hoping those modifications will make it possible to take that seven thousand mile trip I planning for this summer.

UPDATE: Monday 2-11-13

Here is how it goes down. Put the stock seat on and ride into town and to Lowe's. Picked up a few small items and headed home. Backside getting a little sore. Got home and put the Russell on and turned right around and rode a few miles. Bad posture or not once i put the Russell on and the pain went away. Since then i have put a few miles on it and no squirming in my seat. One VERY happy customer.

BTW: I also installed the riser blocks. Easy Peasy. I really like the way it sits now.

Yep, I tried Yoda, Posture, Gel seat....Russell just works.

After a few hours my butt feels cradled in love. Like a baby sitting in his Momma's hands...

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok. Today was a bad day to ride. Wind blowing around 30mph with gust up to 50. Anyways the Russell is still keeping my bones forming being sore. Heading to Shiner, Texas this weekend. We'll see how that goes.