FJR / Tent / Camping Suggestions

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mmonroe

Reaction score
To All,

In the past, I have always stayed at hotels/motels when taking trips. I have found that there are several drawbacks to staying at motels/hotels. They are tending to be the most expensive part of the trip for me, actually costing as much as food, fuel, and whatnot combined.

You can occasisonally find a place for less than $50, however, it seems that when I am late getting in and in a crunch to find a place to stay they can easily be $70-100 or even more. Plus, the later you get in, the worse your chances of even finding a place are. I have often been forced to ride many miles to the next town while beat down tired looking for a place to stay - not good after a long day and exhuasted.

Being an avid hiker and camper, I love tent camping. I would really like to learn more about the equipment and packing techniques you guys use to tent camp while on the road riding.

1) Size, brand, type of tent?

2) Size, brand, type of pad used with tent?

3) What are the best places on the bike to pack the tent, pad and whatnot?

4) Where are your packing a sleeping bag?

5) Anyone doing two-up and still camping? if so, how do you deal with #1, #2, #3 and #4 above?

6) Any pictures of your setup?

I really want to make this work but I really need some help on how to make it real world practical.

Thoughts and ideas are greatly appreciated!

Mark

1) Size, brand, type of tent?

3-man, clip-type (Sierra Designs)

2) Size, brand, type of pad used with tent?

Thermarest camp-rest

3) What are the best places on the bike to pack the tent, pad and whatnot?

passenger seat area (if not available, behind that)

4) Where are your packing a sleeping bag?

In a tough water-proof bag -- w/tent

5) Anyone doing two-up and still camping? if so, how do you deal with #1, #2, #3 and #4 above?

I've done 2-up touring/camping -- must limit the amount of stuff both take (serious selection of riding gear/clothes, etc.)

6) Any pictures of your setup?

If I take the time to figure-out how to add them -- maybe? I've got one of a 2-up, month-long, trip with a female friend on a 500cc bike -- taken at Little River Canyon AL.

I even toured/camped with a few others where we cooked at the campsites -- one guy offered to carry all the cooking necessities. It worked way better than I anticipated.

BTW, I think you're on the right track -- congratulations.

I traveled last fall to CFR and EOM and camped some inbetween...I probably don't have the usual setup. I have a large waterproof yellow Northface Dufflebag that carries, tent, sleeping bag, foam mat, pillow and other asundry items. It lays crosswise on the pillion seat and I bungee it to the bike.

Here's a picture...

CFRTOEOM033.jpg

Here is the tent setup...picture taken at night...

CFRTOEOM035.jpg

Here's a link to my travel/ride report thread. When I do camp, I camp 1 or 2 nights out of three depending on weather, heat, etc.

Ride Report- clicky

Last edited by a moderator:
arc4_tent.gif

ARC / 4

Terramoto

Walrus Gear

I use a Walrus "Terramoto" quality lightweight tent. Walrus was bought out by MSR a few years ago. You can sometimes find a good deal on a Walrus tent on ebay. Thought these links may provide you some ideas. I use waterproof stuff bags by Outdoor Research for those items strapped to the bike.

37800_m.jpg

Outdoor Research Stuff Sacks

Here's my '05 with a large Motofizz bag packed with camping gear, at the Signpost Forest in Watson Lake, YT. The bag is mounted on the passenger seat and stock rear rack.

I use my ten-year old Sierra Design 20 degree down bag, mostly because it was already in my garage and is still in good shape; a silk bag liner, to keep the main bag clean (and as the primary bag on hot, humid nights); a Tempurpedic travel pillow that compresses down to the size of a water bottle; an REI two-man free-standing clip tent, chosen primarily because it packs down to a really small size; a twin-size inflatable mattress (which packs into a 5"x9" bag) and 12v pump.

All the camping gear, including an MSR Pocket Rocket stove, fuel canisters, cooking set, water shoes, etc., fits in the Motofizz, leaving the side-bags for clothes, toiletries, rain gear/heated vest, etc.

fjrmotofizz.jpg

I have camped off my motorcycle for the last 25+ years, but still try new equipment. For me, motorcycling is dealing with the elements and I like sleeping next to the bike instead of having it sit in a parking lot all night. I dislike motels and when I can't camp anymore, I probably won't tour.

First, I put my sleeping bag, air mattress, extra clothes in a Seal Line BAJA 55 liter waterproof bag. I am on my second one in 20 years. They are tough and wear forever. I put a rubber mat on the painted section of the FJR before putting down the Seal line 55 liter bag and tent with bungy cords. I had to add an additional bar across the license plate area so the bungy cords won't wear the paint off the tail. If you are concerned about the saddle bags leaking, enclose everything in heavy duty trash compactor bags.

I have several tents and its a personal choice. I have a 60 sec. dome tent (15 yrs) that sets up really fast-about 40 sq. ft. for one nite stands. Also have a Eureka Timberline, which has about 60 sq. ft. It takes a little longer to set up, but nice if I am going to say a BMW rally for several days. The extra room is nice. I purchased my first one in 1980 and recently replaced it. Also have a REI half dome tent with a full fly all the way to the ground. I like it in cooler weather, but for me it is very hot in the summer with poor air movement. Some people go to walmart and purchase one for $25. Two of mine came from Campmor.com and cost about $130. They have had a lot of use and have lasted a long time.

I recently started sleeping on a Big Agnes insulated 2 1/2 x 20 x 72 air mattress for $70 and love it. I have always slept on air mattresses, but this one is insulated and packs small. I have since purchased a Big Agnes 15 degree down bag and the air mattress slides into the bottom of the sleeping bag. One nite, so far, was in the 30's and I was warm in a t shirt and underwear. You get what you pay for in sleeping bags. Cheap bags are bulky and heavy. I backpack some and very good, light wt., low temp bags go for up to $300-$400. I have about $250 in my Agnes setup. If you are going somewhere warm, obviously, a high temp, light wt bag will do. My backpacking bag weights 2 lbs. Some of my old bags weight 5 lbs and up, are bulky, and not as warm as the new light weight ones.

I have only camped two up with my wife a couple of times on a one nighter and its tough having enough room. My wife doesn't have much interest in riding or camping, so I go solo. When I camped my way to Alaska a few years ago, my wife flew up. She rode with me for a week in Alaska, but we stayed in bed and breakfast to make the deal work!!! Over 20 years ago, when my son was 12-13, we rode around the U.S. on a old 750 Yamaha and we did fine, but one saddle bag was enough for him!!!! Adding a rider, you already have the tent along. Just add an extra sleeping bag and mattress. Clothes need to be limited. I try to wear non cotton, which can be washed and drys quickly(cotton feels good, but is heavy and is hard to dry when wet-washed). My son now has a stich one piece riding suit and he says it really limits the amount of clothes you need along.

I do carry a small backpack stove and a little emergency food. When I run 700-900 mile days getting to rallys, I start early, snack on trail mix, etc. during the day and try to get one good meal at night at a restaurant. I will be riding west this summer from Fl to attend several BMW rallys during July in S.D, Wyoming, and CO. Then to WI for returning to FL. Hope this helps. Good luck

Advrider.com is a good source, but they lean towards the high dollar gear. I've found great deals at Sierra Trading Post. My tent is a 15 yr old Eureka Apex I paid $80 for. If solo, a 2 man tent gives you plenty of room and lets you store all of your gear inside if it's raining. I like to carry 2 dry bags($12-14 each Seattle Sports at above link). That way if it rains I can pack the wet tent and ground cloth in one bag, and my dry sleeping bag and pad in the other so my sleeping bag doesn't get wet packed with the tent. I also pack a small stove with an aluminum pot so I can make instant coffee and/or instant oatmeal in the morning. I use Rok straps to secure the gear to the bike. Much better than bungie cords.

my 05 with a kuryakyn grand tour bag on passenger seat ,tent rolled in foam pad and bag on top

the grand tour has a built in back rest, it's very easy to attach and remove,lots of D rings for adding

straps and hold downs, comes with a lot of straps and mounting device

mabry_2.jpg

Mabry Mill Blue Ridge Parkway

c6c26463.jpg

near Shady Valley TN

Here's my '05 with a large Motofizz bag packed with camping gear, at the Signpost Forest in Watson Lake, YT. The bag is mounted on the passenger seat and stock rear rack.
I use my ten-year old Sierra Design 20 degree down bag, mostly because it was already in my garage and is still in good shape; a silk bag liner, to keep the main bag clean (and as the primary bag on hot, humid nights); a Tempurpedic travel pillow that compresses down to the size of a water bottle; an REI two-man free-standing clip tent, chosen primarily because it packs down to a really small size; a twin-size inflatable mattress (which packs into a 5"x9" bag) and 12v pump.

All the camping gear, including an MSR Pocket Rocket stove, fuel canisters, cooking set, water shoes, etc., fits in the Motofizz, leaving the side-bags for clothes, toiletries, rain gear/heated vest, etc.

fjrmotofizz.jpg
I would love to see some additional pictures of the large Motofizz along with details as to how you have it strapped down and whatnot. I like the way your setup looks on the bike.

Thanks!

Mark

2-up camping I've not done. I'm not sure I could swing it....2-man tent, 2 bags, 2 thermarest, etc. oh, and the GF.... would have to get past her, too. which it isn't.

For 1-man...(solo), I use the standard saddle bags and the givi E52. I like it cuz it's all locked up when I stop places. And waterproof that way.

Tent is an MSR Hubba. solo tent. Enough space under the tarp for boots, small things. Inside tent is snug, but I fit, and so does my helmet and tank bag. Works great. Bought it for back-country camping, since it's 4 lbs or something. This was a few years ago, perhaps better ones out there.

So, thermarest + tent goes in the top box (since that's all that will hold it). Sleeping bag on the left pannier, because you go into it less, as things tend to fall out when on the side stand and getting in there. This all seemed to work for me..... i'll have to dig for pics. Packed, well, it just looks like the bike with a top box tho..... !!

This is my FJ loaded for bear. North Face 2-man backpacking tent, sleeping bag, self-inflating mat and, most importantly, a folding chair. All four easily lay horizontal across the givi rack (also good for carrying firewood). Two bungee cords X'd across the stack and it has been solid for many, many thousands of miles. A 3rd bungee cord is just a safety measure.

Used a smaller, self-inflating thermarest designed for backpacking for some years and then bought an inexpensive self-inflating mat from Costco which is much larger, heavier and comfortable. The chair is heavy and I would like to find something lighter. Fellow travelers like to give me a hard time about carrying the chair, but while watching the stars, they never fail to sit in it and comment "gee, this isn't such a bad idea."

Soon I will embark on my first camping trip with a passenger and packing will be an interesting challenge. Any hints are appreciated.

bag.jpg

fjrmotofizz.jpg
I would love to see some additional pictures of the large Motofizz along with details as to how you have it strapped down and whatnot. I like the way your setup looks on the bike.

Thanks!

Mark

Ditto on that to. Where do ya strap the bag to???

I think Cejay down in Adelaide had the right idea with his rig for camping.Plenty of room for everything you might want to bring, including an electric icebox for perishables!

dscf0001xn5.jpg

A company in Cananada (honest, that's how it's spelled on my son's birth certificate) has a similar trailer:

tekch2.jpg
That is just wrong! Might as well put a hay wagon behind a Porsche. :blink:

Mark
Ditto on that to. Where do ya strap the bag to???
I looked around, and I don't have any other pictures of the mounting, but I'll try to describe it. The next time I put the bag on the bike, I'll take a full set of photos.

MotoFizz bags come with four adjustable straps that mount to the bike. These straps attach to buckles on the bag. This makes it easy to remove the bag from the bike - just pop the buckles, and carry the bag off. An extra cross-shaped buckle set comes with the bag, and attaches to the fixed straps on the bike when the bag isn't in use. This keeps the straps from flapping around if you go for a ride with the bag off.

I put the rear straps on the stock rack, with a piece of clear, 1"OD plastic tubing to protect the finish on the rack. (At other times, I've wrapped blue masking tape on the finished areas for protection.) The rear straps don't need adjustment, so I tied off the excess strap length to keep it from flapping at speeds.

The front straps mount on the trapezoidal frame piece that the passenger foot pegs are mounted on. The foot pegs attach to the bottom section, and the straps mount on the upper section. Again, use the clear plastic tubing or masking tape to protect the finish.

Once the straps are on, I attach the bag by putting it almost completely on the rear rack, tilting it back to buckle in to the rear straps. Then I attach the front straps, and tighten them down. Tie off the excess to reduce flapping.

It takes 10 seconds to take the bag off, and about 45 seconds to mount it, adjust it, and cinch everything down.

My wife and I ride two up and camp. My wife is no princess, but she is the queen of "get by"

We use Eureka, two man and SlumberJack Telluride bags, Not the warmest 30 degree (NOT) but pack really small.

here is the waterproof bag we put it all in. see how small

Here is the tent setup.

Packed really well, easy to set up and teardown.