FJr The perfect bike for 30 - 60 degree riding

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

v65mike

Reaction score
I love my FJR (in all weather conditions) and I have an observation. After installing a set of Dual Star heated grips and a Heat Troller on my '05 FJR, the machine has just transformed into the perfect bike for the late fall and early spring riding conditions in WI. This mod, along with a Cee Bailey +4+3 and the alleged heat management problem, makes this bike oh so nice as the temps get cooler. Wouldn't you agree?

Cooler? Yes, it's down to mid-80s now, 70s overnight. MUCH better! <_<

I'm never gonna see 30s in the daytime unless I go inland for some reason. Saves on expensive heaters all over the bike, though!

I'd have to add a resounding and emphatic **** NO! It was (heat index) 102° here today!

wfooshee's only 400 miles from me, but in a different climate zone...on the water...and different time zone.

All the difference in the world.

It's still hot as **** here in Hell.

Last edited by a moderator:
OK Mike,

I'll agree with you. This is my favorite time of year for riding. I also have the Dual-Stars, V-Strom hand guards, Cee Baileys +4+2 and a Widder heated vest. 40-60 degree days are very comfortable on the FJR with that set-up. (35 degree and lower days take a little more preparation) But I don't shy away from a sunny 75-80 degree day either.

The FJR is a great 4 season platform here in the Northeast.

My '05 is great this time of year also. I was glad to have it last ride, 41degrees thru the Mountains at 5am. Great cool day bike.

Have to agree with RadioHowie! The FJR is a great all season bike, but in south Florida, you just get HOT! When I ride, I always have all the protective gear on, but down here it serves as protective gear and weight loss gear. I have had my 07' for about 4 months and I can't wait for the outside temp gauge to read below 70! I would love to get up north were the roads are twisty and the weather is cool.................

The coldest I have ridden a bike was about -15 below. If there is no snow I ride. I know of other real hard core riders ride even colder.

Bob

I love my FJR (in all weather conditions) and I have an observation. After installing a set of Dual Star heated grips and a Heat Troller on my '05 FJR, the machine has just transformed into the perfect bike for the late fall and early spring riding conditions in WI. This mod, along with a Cee Bailey +4+3 and the alleged heat management problem, makes this bike oh so nice as the temps get cooler. Wouldn't you agree?
Yeah the bike sounds o.k. as long as you don't install a Sargent seat. If you do that , you won't have to worry about the hot grips, windshield etc since your butt will not permit you to sit on the damn thing long enough for the rest of the equipment to make a difference. Enjoy---

Ah geez,the Sargent seat is still pissin' ya after almost a weeks gone by? Better sell it before it wears out :unsure:

Can't find any fault with mine. :) Again, Sell it and try something else Goldilocks.

:jester:

The coldest I have ridden a bike was about -15 below. If there is no snow I ride. I know of other real hard core riders ride even colder.
Bob
OK, to hijack this thread a little bit. I like to ride down to about 38 degrees, though I am hoping to be comfortable below that with some heated gear I plan to pick up in the next week or two. HOWEVER, don't you worry about ice on the roads when it is consistently below freezing? The other thing I have the joy of having to deal with is all of the salt here in IL. SO what you say, you ride below freezing, and screw thinking about ice?

Oh, you're talking about the weather, I thought you were discussing the lean angle.

I watch for ice but don't over-worry about it. As a commuter, I'll ride it into the twenties in the winter, but do have to change roads due to run-off turning into ice. It's like being a duck in a lake that's freezing over. The hole (number of available roads) just gets smaller and smaller. At some point, even the back-up roads get moisture which freezes and I'll quit till the next thaw. Usually in the DC/MD area that's just a matter of weeks.

Bob

I ride year 'round here in the Seattle area. We don't have the pleasure of riding in below freezing weather very often, but we definitely get our share of rain. That's where the problem comes in; if it gets into the mid 30's then the water that's almost always on the road tends to freeze. And then we do get snow once or twice each winter at lower elevations.

I did get stuck in hail and snow one day last winter heading home, but generally I'll opt for the safety of my crew cab dually pickup when conditions get bad. I was driving that truck to work one morning and got sideways making a turn in an intersection due to serious icing on the roads. I felt sorry for the 2 guys on night shift that had ridden in the night before. :unsure:

30 degrees f my personal best (or worst). Yes, the heat from my 05 is welcome on cold mornings, but when it is below say 40 degrees f, I only feel the warmth while at a red light.

I have a pair of "Moose Mits" that cover the hand grips and levers. They are meant for quads in the winter but work fine on the FJR. They keep the wind off my hands and allow me to wear lighter gloves for a better feel on the grips.

30 degrees f my personal best (or worst). Yes, the heat from my 05 is welcome on cold mornings, but when it is below say 40 degrees f, I only feel the warmth while at a red light.
I have a pair of "Moose Mits" that cover the hand grips and levers. They are meant for quads in the winter but work fine on the FJR. They keep the wind off my hands and allow me to wear lighter gloves for a better feel on the grips.
Heck yes, I'll ride as long as the roads are dry. A set of Widder gloves , one of their heated vests and long underwear. I'm ready to roll!. 27 below is my lowest experiance- not for the thinned skin. People stare at you as you ride past.

V65 Thread Hijack- Where'd you get the Dual Star heaters? I've tried Aerostitch (back order of 3 weeks) and Dual Star's phone number voice mail is full and they weren't answering the phone for days prior to that. Any other source you might have would be appreciated. BTW - I'm installing my VStrom handguards and removing the foam I had stuffed in the fairing to make rides more comfortable. I ride in 100+ heat with ATGATT and still enjoy the Feejer. Great all year round bike IMHO!

Thx.

JW

V65 Thread Hijack- Where'd you get the Dual Star heaters? I've tried Aerostitch (back order of 3 weeks) and Dual Star's phone number voice mail is full and they weren't answering the phone for days prior to that. Any other source you might have would be appreciated. BTW - I'm installing my VStrom handguards and removing the foam I had stuffed in the fairing to make rides more comfortable. I ride in 100+ heat with ATGATT and still enjoy the Feejer. Great all year round bike IMHO!

Thx.

JW
I ordered the heat troller and Dual Star heated grip elements in a kit from here;

https://www.warmnsafe.com/

Regards, V65Mike

I ride to work just about every day, Unless I need to take my truck in for some reason. All summer long into to high 90's, and lately its been in upper 30's on my way in in the morning. I figure I got a month to 6 weeks left before the big freeze. My schedule is to unstable to risk getting caught up in a snow storm or something. The high heat doesn't bother my unless I'm in a stop and go situation on the high-way, Which is when I desert the highway and miander my way home through countless different routes. I just picked up a new pair or winter gloves today, because the old ones weren't cuttin' it anymore. New ones are water proof, and like 40 grams of thinsulate in em. Little bit like riding with mittens on but I love the warmth. Don't even need the heated grips with them on. What I spend in 1 week for gas for the truck, lasts easily a month for the feejer, so its an easy choice. Don't care what the weather is, I'm riding til the snow flies.