FJR to Alaska?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oldryder

Reaction score
I have a desire to make the trip to Alaska in the next few years. Round trip for me will be approx. 7000 miles. will probably be 2 up.

is FJR suited for this trip or is an "adventure" bike required given the roads?

thx in advance for help.

Depends on the road...just like the lower 48. Rumor has it they have some nice paved roads up there...as well as some tough gravel roads.

You want to ride to Anchorage...no problem.

You thinking about riding the Haul Road to Deadhorse......I wouldn't do it on FJR.

Piece of cake, I've been to the states twice on my FJR. As for two up, I guess it would depend on the size of your passenger. As Iggy says though I don't recomend taking it up the haul road. I have and others have but not with passengers. I'm gonna take the Feejer over to Yellowknife NWT this coming June, then hop on the wing and head for the east coast in July.

The Alcan highway is a piece of cake, (paved cake at that) I've been running to the states from here on two wheels for over 30 years now.

Enjoy the trip!

I rode the Cassiar Highway on my '05 FJR back in 2007, from Watson Lake to Hyder, and had no problems, even in the 50 or so miles of gravel. In the really deep gravel you have to be extra vigilant, but the FJR can do it easily.

Things to think about: a) you'll want a radiator guard and/or a Fenda-Extenda; B) you should be comfortable patching a tire on the side of the road; c) if you're dead-set on doing the Haul Road or the Dempster, you should be comfortable changing a tire on the side of the road; d) your XM reception will be spotty north of the 59th parallel, so bring an MP3 player, or just enjoy the sounds of your engine and the awesome scenery.

Last edited by a moderator:
Decide for yourself. This is about the most detailed description of the trip I have seen (with a very cool custom Google Map). If you go all the way to Prudhoe Bay things seem to get a bit iffy. No personal experience, but for me it's one of those "things to do before I die".

Decide for yourself. This is about the most detailed description of the trip I have seen (with a very cool custom Google Map). If you go all the way to Prudhoe Bay things seem to get a bit iffy. No personal experience, but for me it's one of those "things to do before I die".
Yes! This is an AWESOME ride report!!!

WW

No problem at all. I did it on a GS but the only time I felt the GS was helpful was on the Haul Road. It was nothing but rain.

If you were fairly sure about dry weather the haul road would be cake on an FJR. When it rains the Haul Road is slippier than shit due to the calcium chloride and some parts will turn to mud. If you are going to Deadhorse Hell or highwater a dual sport with a more aggressive tire would be the correct tool for the Dalton. If you just want to see the rest of AK the FJR would be great.

Check out my video to see what I am talking about.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SiKjnO9QGIU

Links not working on the video. I too am planning an Alaskan Ride in 2010, and so far the FJR is getting the nod. I do want to ride the Haul Road, but not sure I want to ride a Wee Strom all the way to AK. Thinking I could ride the FJR up to Anchorage, then rent a wee there, ride up and back, then get back on my bike and come home. Not final yet, but that's the current thinking...