FJR Today

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tek-

Yea,sadly I had the seat lowerd all the way,but had to figure it out for myself,cause wadda know? The slasman didnt have a clue. :D

And I have a brother he just got done with the MSF course,and the parents took the truck from em since it was in there name I he really wants a nice bike to commute on and take long rides,so I told em about the FJR. I dont know how well the bike would suit him seeing hes pretty new,but I have asked around alot,and most said if he just lays off the throttle,practices his parking lot skills alot,then he should be fine......any input?
like I said you dont need a take time to comment if you dont want to,but it would be greatly appreciated! :yahoo:
I somewhat fit this bill. I had ridden a friends dirt bike when I was young, my Grandpa's 250 Honda scooter, a mini bike, racing 3 wheeler etc etc..... you get the idea, but never a street legal motorcycle.

I had wanted one since college but life got in the way. With my wife's support I decided to get a bike. A couple of co-workers suggested that I get a smaller bike to learn on and then upgrade to a larger bike. One purchased a 650 and then sold it to the other. They both now have Suzuki Boulevard 1500s. They also both started from scratch with zero experience on anything motorized other than a 50cc scooter. After taking to a lot of people I decided to buy the FJR. The night I brought it home I knew I had made the right decision. I rode it up and down the road with no problem and the bike just felt like part of me. I obtained my permit and had 700 miles on it in the three weeks prior to my MSF course. I rode it to class each day through rush hour traffic in Indianapolis and back. At the end of the course the instructors pulled me aside and asked me if I would consider becoming an instructor which I took as a compliment or as a sign they are desperate for instructors :D . I have put 1800 miles on my bike since May 2nd and I enjoy the FJR immensely. Even thought I used their 250cc bike for the course, I still went out on the course on my bike and did the 20' figure 8 with my FJR during lunch on the final day. I thought it was easier on the FJR.

I said all of this to say even though I had great success with the FJR as my first bike it is definitely not for everyone. I believe there are a lot of factors that play into the decision of what bike to get first. Maturity, skill level, clutch control, throttle control, ability to not drive beyond your skill level on and on. It is always better to be safe than sorry as a bad decision could lead to serious injury or worse. Only your brother can decide what is really right. He should choose wisely. One last thing I will add about the FJR is that due to it's power it takes a great deal of self discipline to not push it. Skill takes hours in the saddle. Speed should come after skill.

Good luck and above all be safe!

Yea...Ive been showing him all of everybody's posts,hopefully he'll take them to heart.

WOW, you had a salesman talk to you!!!! You're way ahead of our local dealer.
lmao.

We have a good dealer he is the salesman also plus he knows his stuff. I bought my FJR from him it was his personal bike. We ride allmost ever Sunday morning. Anderson Bros Yamaha Elizabeth City NC
Wow,I had lived there awhile back,over in Moyock,my parents are actually moving back over there next year.

PM sent...
Thanks for the pm.

Much to the shock and concern of everyone I've told - my '05 FJR is/was my first bike. Dropped it in about 20 seconds of ownership. Fortunately everything went much better since then.
Frankly, I'm lucky to be alive.

So, as someone who at the age of 33 learned on an FJR, I feel pretty qualified when I say DO NOT BUY THIS AS A FIRST BIKE.

On a side-note, I guess I'm kind of a freak of nature since not only did I survive but worked to build my skills to become a fairly competent rider.
Oooo,thankis for the advice.

Much to the shock and concern of everyone I've told - my '05 FJR is/was my first bike.
FJR is my 2nd - my 1st was a 900lbs cruiser (Yamaha Royal Star Tour Deluxe I put 35K miles on in 2 years). I think masochism runs in my family. :)
Haha.

So what do ya recommend for him? He wants something a little newer,preferably with abs,and more of an upright position. Any ideas?

And,I think Ima have to go look around for another dealer,on in Millington seems nice. And its painful,it seems like EVERYONE is riding while I cant :( ,

I had a similar experience at a local "Big 4" dealer (Huge showroom!); I had communicated with one of the salesmen, via email, and set up a time to meet with him; he knew I was a "mature" (well. . . :D ) guy, experienced rider, ready to move on a bike, but I had to delay going over for a couple of days, and informed him of the change of plans. He wrote back, "No problem, my sales associate will be happy to help. . ." So on Saturday, I went over, ready to write out a check, introduced myself to the sales associate, who was just finishing up a sale, and he asked me to give him 10-15 minutes, and he'd be right with me. I walked out, pissed, without ever seeing him again, 1 1/2 hours later!

The next day, having thought about how busy they had been, I went back to give it another try, and walked in, and the sales guy was prowling over a catalog or something, but I "eye-to-eyed" him, making sure that he knew I was there, nodded to him as I walked over to the FJR, where upon, he picked up the phone and called someone. An hour and 15 minutes later, he was still on the phone, and I was out the door! I dropped the sales manager a note the next morning, and received an apology on the computer, starting off with, "Once again, I find myself apologizing for less than stellar performance on the part of my sales staff. . ." I was blown away, because this is a BIG operation!

Since he had commited a pretty good bid to me, I took it to my dealer here in town, who had not had an FJR on the floor when I stopped in there previously, but now had one, and told him what I had experienced at the other dealer's, and told him that I was ready to buy a bike, if he could meet, or even come close to their price. He took a look, went and talked to his sales manager, and came back and said that he couldn't come within $1,000 of their deal, and told me he didn't understand why they were even bothering to move the bike, at that price. He also told me that if he were me, he'd run back over there, to take them up on their offer.

Which I did, and I love the bike, although I truly do NOT understand how these guys stay in business, when they treat potential prospects like they do. From what I'm reading, this is not necessarily unusual, and having been associated with other business communities, I just don't understand their attitudes!

If I wasn't so far away from them, I'd have taken my business to D&H, and I DO plan to contact them about the Y.E.S.!