FJR Unsuitable for Passenger with Top Box Fitted?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I asked once years ago, and I think I got one responder, but I can't find it now. Anybody with the Givi rack have this subframe failure?
Here's a late response
sleep.png
Have had the Givi rack installed since 2003 and topped with Givi cases E35, E52 and V45. All been loaded to the max and with Deb leaning back on them for over 60k miles. No problems with the subframe.

Hope this is of help to the OP.
smile.png
.... You too Wfoo
smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:
As noted early the Givi SR 357 was on back order. Today is shipped.

I agree the Givi top rack is not a thing of beauty but a broken sub-frame is really ugly.

The most odd in this story is that in Europe have never hear for a broken subframe and the most of fjr owners they use the oem top box..I really don't know what is going wrong here..Perhaps has happened to someone but personally i have never reading and hearing about that.If it is really a very common seriously issue i believe the Yamaha should says something about this all these years.From 2006 she changed the part number of subframe but i read and in 06/-12 has happen the same trouble.An opinion is that the subframe in this point is not durable but why the Yamaha has leave it without to do something in this area..?And again why here in Europe we never hear about this.First time i read about this trouble in this forum...I really can't understand what can cause this trouble and not to all but in some bikes..?!Some owners they use their oem top boxes for years without a trouble and in some others the subframe has broken..Perhaps the weight of the passenger with the load of the top box in some rough roads and for a long time can cause this trouble..But Yamaha should knows about it...She sells top boxes and passenger backrest for their bikes..I believe she has tested them before she sells them...

The part number change was for the GEN-II subframe being different, because the GEN-II bodywork is different. It was not a design change to fix any flaws from earlier bikes.

The most odd in this story is that in Europe have never hear for a broken subframe and the most of fjr owners they use the oem top box..I really don't know what is going wrong here..Perhaps has happened to someone but personally i have never reading and hearing about that.If it is really a very common seriously issue i believe the Yamaha should says something about this all these years.From 2006 she changed the part number of subframe but i read and in 06/-12 has happen the same trouble.An opinion is that the subframe in this point is not durable but why the Yamaha has leave it without to do something in this area..?And again why here in Europe we never hear about this.First time i read about this trouble in this forum...I really can't understand what can cause this trouble and not to all but in some bikes..?!Some owners they use their oem top boxes for years without a trouble and in some others the subframe has broken..Perhaps the weight of the passenger with the load of the top box in some rough roads and for a long time can cause this trouble..But Yamaha should knows about it...She sells top boxes and passenger backrest for their bikes..I believe she has tested them before she sells them...
Due to its double wall design, the Yamaha accessory top box has a much more limited limited capacity (volume). Also, they spec a ridiculously low weight limit capacity so if (when?) one breaks the sub-frame they just point to that and shake their head. Of course they also had the mounts themselves cracking and breaking before the sub-frames cracked (which they recalled), so maybe that was like a mechanical fuse to alert you to the overloading condition.

And then Yamaha will point to the owners manual and show where it says not to use a top box and the side bags at the same time. Yeah, right!

Due to its double wall design, the Yamaha accessory top box has a much more limited limited capacity (volume). Also, they spec a ridiculously low weight limit capacity so if (when?) one breaks the sub-frame they just point to that and shake their head. Of course they also had the mounts themselves cracking and breaking before the sub-frames cracked (which they recalled), so maybe that was like a mechanical fuse to alert you to the overloading condition.

And then Yamaha will point to the owners manual and show where it says not to use a top box and the side bags at the same time. Yeah, right!
I think you are right Fred!

Looking at the picture of the broken sub frame it sorta looks like a casting to me and my dad used to refer to castings as pot metal.

It is definitely a casting. Castings are inherently brittle and break under any kind of torsional stress. It was designed to hold the rear cowling, tail light and fender, not to carry 30-40 lbs of weight cantilevered off the back of it. That is why some reinforcement is required. The Givi SR rack does a good adequate job of reinforcing it. That should be the take-away from this thread.

Ughh...I just purchased a Shad support system and 48 liter top box. This rig looks good and seems to function well. From the prior comments it sounds as though the Shad system may not be on par with the Givi supports. Can anyone shed light on the Shad for me?

Did it replace the plastic grab rails? If not, then you have the same weakness limitation as the stock arrangement. The triangulation of the rear platform is through the grab handles.

No replacement of grab handles. Only three bolts into the stock set up on the rear. Guess I'll have to keep fingers crossed until someone comes up with a retrofit.

Retro fit will happen when, like me, you decide to buy a Givi SR357.

I have a SW Motech rack and a Givi plate held by the three bolts. It is going bye bye. Mistake made and lesson learned, time to move on and do it right.

I'd rather pay $150 now and have the piece of mind knowing there are no reports of sub-frame issue when SR357's are used. And compare the cost and trouble of $150 vs. a sub-frame replacement or repair. Ouch.

I get my new SR357 on Wednesday.

This is straight talk - no April fool joke for sure.

Aw..man. If the Shad adapter plate will not mount to the Givi support rack, I'm out the cost of the Shad equipment. However, with all the discussion in this thread about the consequences of overloading (or just using) a top box on our FJRs I can appreciate the switch may save money in the long run.

Can anyone opine about whether the Shad and Givi SR357 can be mated?

As the initiatior of this thread, thanks to all for your comments and observations. I have since had my sub frame welded and strengthened, and I am happy with the results. As its all covered it doesn't matter about how it looks as long as its strong.

If you have to take the back end of your bike apart for any reason I urge you to get the sub-frame strengthened. It's not a difficult job to remove and in beautiful Seaside, California, it cost me $200 - a lot less than ~$600 for a new one. (I still think its a fundamental design flaw).

Happy to be riding again:)

Aw..man. If the Shad adapter plate will not mount to the Givi support rack, I'm out the cost of the Shad equipment. However, with all the discussion in this thread about the consequences of overloading (or just using) a top box on our FJRs I can appreciate the switch may save money in the long run.
Can anyone opine about whether the Shad and Givi SR357 can be mated?
Anything can be mated to a Givi SR rack if you just make a custom interface plate. It shouldn't be all that difficult. It would be the same setup I mentioned earlier for the Hepco Becker trunk and mount.

Maybe I should design one (wouldn't take long) and get our good friend Dave at WynPro to start cranking out some nice adapters?

One more example of the Givi mount holding up. I've got 104,000 miles on my FJR with all of it carrying around a 4 gallon Summit Racing Fuel cell out behind the passenger seat. It also has a pad on it for a passenger to use as a backrest and we've done a fair amount of two-up riding. I ride on some very rough roads in Iowa and also do a lot of riding on gravel roads here which tend to beat things up pretty good. No cracking on my subframe yet. I did have to get the fuel cell welded up last year as it was cracking around the mounts, so there is definitely some sever vibration going on there.

Grady

After all the positive comments about the Givi rack for the FJR, I bought one with fingers crossed on ease of compatibility with a Shad48 top case. Turns out I had no reason to be concerned. I mounted the Shad rack on top of the Givi rack (3 hole alignment), bought some longer bolts at the nearby Lowes, and presto, I now have a Shagivi case and rack
smile.png
. I feel better knowing I've done what I can to reduce the probability of a subframe crack.