FJR vs CanAm fully loaded

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Criticizing someone for riding a Spyder instead of a FJR (or any bike) is like criticizing someone for wearing boxers instead of briefs.... you have no idea of what fits (excluding Tyler, of course).

There's a place for everything. We were at Two Wheels of Suches. Sitting for a minute while my brother smoked a cigarette before hitting Wolf Pen Gap. Looking at a slingshot in the parking lot. Three wheels and a steering wheel? Why not just get a Miata instead of pretending to be on a bike. Then, the owner came out of the restaurant. Shifted into the driver's seat, folded up his wheelchair and put it in the passenger seat. Donned his helmet, checked comms with a couple of his two wheel buddies, and set out. A place for everything.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've actually considered one as a second recreational vehicle. My wife and I test drove my neighbor's RTL (2014 I think) and she really liked the passenger position. Much more than the FJR's. For me, it was a mixed experience. I didn't mind the position so much, but I felt the steering was twitchy. But a 20 minute drive just wasn't enough. I'd need to spend more time driving one before I'd ever pull the trigger on one. I'd like to rent one for a day to get a better feel. But I've yet to find a place that does rentals anywhere close to me.
Joey.
I have one as a second ride for the reason that my wife does not feel comfortable on a two-wheeler. After getting used to the Spyder, I did a nine day, multi-state ride that was a blast. My old HD Ultra stayed in the garage for the first two years I had the Spyder. Now the Spyder's taken a back seat to the FJR...until my wife wants to go out.

I have one as a second ride for the reason that my wife does not feel comfortable on a two-wheeler. After getting used to the Spyder, I did a nine day, multi-state ride that was a blast. My old HD Ultra stayed in the garage for the first two years I had the Spyder. Now the Spyder's taken a back seat to the FJR...until my wife wants to go out.
Stability is a big plus for many... glad you have options! B)

I've actually considered one as a second recreational vehicle. My wife and I test drove my neighbor's RTL (2014 I think) and she really liked the passenger position. Much more than the FJR's. For me, it was a mixed experience. I didn't mind the position so much, but I felt the steering was twitchy. But a 20 minute drive just wasn't enough. I'd need to spend more time driving one before I'd ever pull the trigger on one. I'd like to rent one for a day to get a better feel. But I've yet to find a place that does rentals anywhere close to me.
Joey.
My wife and are taking a state subsidized trike training and testing course - Can Am Spyders, trikes and sidecars. 16 hours classroom and on the trikes. Hope I can try a Gold Wing trike or a Spyder. Sidecar would be weird.

My wife likes the idea of riding her own trike. I'll gladly be her passenger or maybe I rock my FJR beside her Spyder.

Thought taking the class would be fun as a couple.

Joey.
My wife and are taking a state subsidized trike training and testing course - Can Am Spyders, trikes and sidecars. 16 hours classroom and on the trikes. Hope I can try a Gold Wing trike or a Spyder. Sidecar would be weird.

My wife likes the idea of riding her own trike. I'll gladly be her passenger or maybe I rock my FJR beside her Spyder.

Thought taking the class would be fun as a couple.
Riding together, no matter the vehicle, is a gift... wishing you both many (s)miles on whatever you choose! B)

^^^^^^^^^^ I second that statement above, Tyler nails it!

I envy the gentlemen who's very best friend enjoys accompanying him on two (or three) wheels, whether it be two-up, or side by side on separate steeds.

Brodie

👍

I'll still take the Mustang GT to any tricycle and if you buy my '11 GT/CS you will pay many thousands less than for a trike. Not a convertible though.

No offense intended to anyone, but I quit riding trikes when I was 6. Turned too sharp and high sided over the trikes handle bars.
smile.png

No offense intended to anyone, but I quit riding trikes when I was 6. Turned too sharp and high sided over the trikes handle bars.
smile.png
Anything pushed beyond it's design limits is going to crash.

A spyder has a very good stability system and with the two wheels in the front tipping is Very hard. I was only able to get a front wheel off the ground once before the Nanny took over.

I see many Spiders on the road. Many more than FJR s at least around eastern PA.

10 years now since the 1st year.. Many improvements for sure.

Never road one, might take a test ride someday. Local dealer has demo days.

268 miles today Honda Silver Wing scooter..... 50 HP and full auto FUN and different.

Many more Spiders? No doubt true. I think just another fad in this fad prone country that will fade away as quickly as it began. Also, it seems from my observations that most of these trike riders tend to be older for the most part and probably bored with too much disposable income. I will never understand why anyone would bother to ride one of these contraptions and put up with wearing a helmet and other gear when you can spend about the same on a nice convertible (just one more wheel for god's sake) and dispense with the gear and be much more comfortable when it rains. I agree with the poster that pointed out how he gave up tricycles years ago. I never return the trike riders wave, no point in encouraging them.

Now if the motorhome craze would just go back where it came from, grrrrrrrr...
angry01.gif
There, now I'll tell you what I really think!

Many more Spiders? No doubt true. I think just another fad in this fad prone country that will fade away as quickly as it began. Also, it seems from my observations that most of these trike riders tend to be older for the most part and probably bored with too much disposable income. I will never understand why anyone would bother to ride one of these contraptions and put up with wearing a helmet and other gear when you can spend about the same on a nice convertible (just one more wheel for god's sake) and dispense with the gear and be much more comfortable when it rains. I agree with the poster that pointed out how he gave up tricycles years ago. I never return the trike riders wave, no point in encouraging them.
Now if the motorhome craze would just go back where it came from, grrrrrrrr...
angry01.gif
There, now I'll tell you what I really think!
Opinions like asses , we all have one. You probably have no clue that a trike is a lot of fun and in a lot of ways better for some than two wheels. Some think that it's stupid to spend the money for a two wheel contraption and wear all that shit because it's dangerous and you're gonna die on a murder cycle. Does the make them any more correct than you??? Not returning the wave is optional but why not let all enjoy themselves and encourage them to have fun.

I sorta agree on the motorhome thing but obviously its here to stay and they are entitled to the road as much as we are. Maybe they have their own wave.

The more drivers we can get to ride anything with less than four wheels is a win in my book. Motorcyclists, both two and three wheelers, tend to be more alert drivers. I like all kinds of things including Groms!

I always wave at the Harley trikes. I figure most of them are ridin a trike since they dont trust themselves on a 2 wheeler any more and have been riding for a while. The spyder is another story. Saw a lady at a stop sign on one, had a cup holder on the bar and was sipping coffee at a stoplight. just last week a guy in shorts and flip flops came to a stoplight on one. I was not impressed. When I get to old to hold up a bike at a stoplight, I will prolly get a sidecar and keep riding a bike pwith an extra wheel.

I do wave at the grom riders, scooters, not so much unless they wave at me 1st. Bergman 650?? I wave when I pass them on the freeway going the same direction as i am and at least doing the speed limit.

Bruce

I think the Spiders are here to stay. Fills a gap between???? Many are scared of two wheels SO unsafe. 3 Wheels hehhhh I can't fall over.

Can still crash the crap out of it though but most don't see it as unsafe as a motorcycle.

I pass everything on my SW scooter, that isn't trying that hard. 50 HP tops out at 105. HD crowd tend to get a little
weirdsmiley.gif
bike.gif
. No chicken strips on scooter. Mich Pilot Powers . Nothing to drag serious lean angles. No engine heat, a few mods for better acceleration.
rolleyes.gif

Well, maybe you should take the time to talk to a few of them... yes, there are some that are a bit crazed about the machine (can be said for many different brands!) but there are some that are unable to ride 2-wheels anymore but the have found a way to continue to ride in a different way but still enjoying the world around them... I rode two wheels for 20 years until a near fatal accident affected my legs and balance so can't ride them anymore but damn if I didn't miss getting out in the world... I've got about 100K (s)miles on Spyders all over the US, Canada, Mexico, and New Zealand... try not judging until you understand the why.
wink.png
And about the whole waving thing, I wave at just about everyone including people walking their dogs in the neighborhoods I'm riding through, farm workers in the field, scooters, 2-wheels regardless of brand, 3-wheelers, cars that flash their brights at me to warn of upcoming police presence, and I even waved at a train once and he blew his horn in return... it was awesome.
cool.png
I'll even wave at you maybe some day...
biggrin.png

I always wave at the Harley trikes. I figure most of them are ridin a trike since they dont trust themselves on a 2 wheeler any more and have been riding for a while. The spyder is another story. Saw a lady at a stop sign on one, had a cup holder on the bar and was sipping coffee at a stoplight. just last week a guy in shorts and flip flops came to a stoplight on one. I was not impressed. When I get to old to hold up a bike at a stoplight, I will prolly get a sidecar and keep riding a bike pwith an extra wheel.
I've seen sport bikes posing at Starbucks, Harleys boozing it up at bars, and Wing riders with cup holders and ice chests for their snacks... to each their own... I choose ATGATT cause that's just me. Sidecars are not easy to ride either.

I think the Spiders are here to stay. Fills a gap between???? Many are scared of two wheels SO unsafe. 3 Wheels hehhhh I can't fall over.Can still crash the crap out of it though but most don't see it as unsafe as a motorcycle.
Again, some are not scared of two wheels but just not able to ride them anymore for a variety of reasons... wish some folks would get their heads out of their asses and realize we are all enjoying life in whatever we are able. Traditional trikes can tip over fairly easily but the Spyders are engineered so they won't and, imo, are a better bet and more fun to ride. YMMV.