fjr vs concours 14 vs BMW

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Our beloved feej fared quite well considering the BMW was introduced in 2006 and the Connie in late 2007. The FJR has remained basically unchanged (yeah yeah, Gen I vs. Gen II) since it was introduced here in the States in 2003. And the FJR still handles better - and as a wise man once said, "more power is good, more handling is gooder".

As with most of these comparos (they have been numerous through the years), it comes down to personal preference most of the times; all good bikes, each excelling in different areas. My '04 still serves me well (even after the Gen II release) but I'm thinking a Gen I would still score pretty well after all these years against the best in the segment.

I finally got to test ride a C-14 yesterday. Wow, it's a really nice bike! Everything about it is smooth. It's power is effortless. The first thing I noticed was how it responded to blipping the throttle right off idle. There was no hesitation at all. I've owned two FJRs - both needed a power commander to make them throttle better at low rpm. There's not even a hint of slop in the drivetrain. It seemed to me that it handles every bit as well as my FJR does. Its seat seems better than the FJR's, but its wind screen offers a little less protection. The FJR's mirrors sit up high for a better rearward view. The FJR's instruments also sit up higher - you don't have to look down away from the road to check your gauges as much as you do on the Connie. The Kaw's exhaust can is really ugly.

Last edited by a moderator:
The way I read their article

If you want the most competent touring of the three: BMW

If you want the sportiest of the three: C14

If you want the best of both worlds: FJR

Hmmmm, why did I buy a sport-tourer, again?

I finally got to test ride a C-14 yesterday. Wow, it's a really nice bike! Everything about it is smooth. It's power is effortless. The first thing I noticed was how it responded to blipping the throttle right off idle. There was no hesitation at all. I've owned two FJRs - both needed a power commander to make them throttle better at low rpm. There's not even a hint of slop in the drivetrain. It seemed to me that it handles every bit as well as my FJR does. Its seat seems better than the FJR's, but its wind screen offers a little less protection. The FJR's mirrors sit up high for a better rearward view. The FJR's instruments also sit up higher - you don't have to look down away from the road to check your gauges as much as you do on the Connie. The Kaw's exhaust can is really ugly.
The Connie has a big time heat issue, that is mostly taken care of with the Muzzy headers and pipes, the rear view mirrors are down right just put in a terrible place(too low) with the sidebags blocking the view. It is certainly a smooth engine especially when you add the pipes,power commander, and remove the buuterfly's. To me it handles well but like the FJR the seat would also need an upgrade. Like anything it is subject to personnal choice and /or cost as to which on you buy.

When that article came outlast year I was taken by (and commented on) the fact that all the testers are short - 5' 8".

So anything they say about ergonomics was biased toward the smaller among us (and interesting enough, the FJR seems to have won on that line item).

I have ridden all three - the BMW is nice, but is simply too expensive for consideration. The Kawasaki is smoothly powerful, but built by apes.

I do NOT agree with the 'clunky transmission' opinion, perhaps the testers should learn how to ride or simply spend more time working with the machines to learn to ride them smoothly?- bikes have character (ok, Maybe not BMWs) The braking (and they likes the FJR) might have been skewed by the fact that these shrimpy riders don't have enough mass to carry the bike and to NEED the power of heavy brakes to stop the behemoth.

In the end, it is all subjective. If I sell my FJR I might go for a C14 - but the 'winner'? No way.

That article is old and from last year. Heck the BMW for 2009 is the K1300GT and they claim a long list of enhancements to most areas of the bike.

Dont see how they cxan all the connie 14 a long range missile. The small gas tank and terrible fuel mileage makes it very short range from tank to tank, That and the extremem heat on the right foot killed the connie 14 for me. My only complait about the 1200 Gt is the cantilever front end. Feels very vague at slow speeds. ( I am a MSF ridercoach) so i do alot of slower speeds.

I will keep my FJR thank you.

I rode the C-14 and liked it, but there were a few things I did not like and thought it can't be fixed with aftermarket stuff, the view directly behind me was blocked by the saddle bags and the bags were up high putting the CG up higher and the pipes were fugly, other than that it's a great inprovement over the old Connie, it all comes down to what's important to each rider, BMW cost mucho $$$ and maintance cost $$$ you can't bleed your own brakes they need a special tool to extract the fluids from the linked servo, at a tune of $300.00.I like the FJR 25,000 mile valve check interval, I have done research on bikes and reading a lot of info, and when I rode the bike it was not what I wanted, I'm surprise the ST1300 was not part of the comparision. I love my FJR and it has the best of both world.

Last edited by a moderator:
Our beloved feej fared quite well considering the BMW was introduced in 2006 and the Connie in late 2007. The FJR has remained basically unchanged (yeah yeah, Gen I vs. Gen II) since it was introduced here in the States in 2002. And the FJR still handles better - and as a wise man once said, "more power is good, more handling is gooder".
There ya go Fuzz, fixed for ya :)

Sorry :unsure: I didnt realize it was a old article. :unsure: I just found it yesterday and thought it was a new one.

BMW: "Niceties aside, the K1200GT failed to wow us in the areas where it counts and scored a resounding last place in the process."

Kawasaki: "+ Good engine + Good brakes + Good seating position" Is this the best they can do?

FJR: "+ Great handling, very agile + Strong engine" (AND, the sexist-looking bike!)

Our beloved feej fared quite well considering the BMW was introduced in 2006 and the Connie in late 2007. The FJR has remained basically unchanged (yeah yeah, Gen I vs. Gen II) since it was introduced here in the States in 2002. And the FJR still handles better - and as a wise man once said, "more power is good, more handling is gooder".
There ya go Fuzz, fixed for ya :)
What's a year among friends? ;) Ever more impressive that the long-in-the-tooth FJR keeps doing what it's doing.