FJR vs FZ1

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FiveG

Reaction score
I have a vertically challenged friend who is strongly considering moving from his Warrior to a sport tourer style.

He's looked at various options and has essentially settled on farkling up an FZ1 with better seat, bags and better windscreen.

I've suggested the FJR instead but he has concerns re height and also weight.

can anyone offer their thoughts about whether the FZ1 can be modded to make it work well in a sport touring role (unlikely he's planning any weeklong trips)? And for him, would Feejer be better? Or worse?

I'm 5' 5" with a 29" inseam and own a 2008 FJR and a 2006 FZ1. I've done a fair amount of touring on the FJR fully loaded with a topcase. Granted, I am fit and strong for my size, but unless your friend is much shorter than me I don't think he should shy aware from the FJR. MY FZ1 is a great bike, but it's no FJR in terms of long distance comfort. If he insists on the FZ1 I believe the Canadian market offers brackets to mount the same bags that come on the FJR.

I have a FZ1. I'm sure most FZ1 owners would agree that the gen I FZ1 (01-05) was much more of a touring bike then gen II. Mine is 2002. I love it for sport touring. But my trips of late are getting longer so I'm gearing up to get a FJR. But the FZ1 has been great for the long hauls. This year a friend and I did 3500 kms from Calgary to Mount St Helens and back, over 8 days. This is probably the limit for me with the FZ1. But I have put Givi hard bags on the FZ1 (the 40 L sized ones) and it hauls an amazing amount of stuff. More then enough. But we are also motelling it. Camping it would be a different story. The Givi bags don't seem to throw the handling off in any way at all. The roads around Mount St Helens were unbelievable and the FZ1 handled them great.

I too am a bit vertically challenged. At 5'7" and mostly torso, my standover height needs to be manageable. I've taken an FJR out for a test drive and I can definitley say the standover on the FJR is higher then my FZ1. I'm quite comfortable with the FZ1, but the FJR with the extra seat height and weight is a little much to handle. I'm sure once I get one I'll get used to it.

O and I also put highway pegs on my FZ1. Yes, thats right. Laugh if you want, but its amazing how much more comfortable it is to change leg position every once in a while.