Fjr1300 Euro 2006

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

teerex51

The Italian Scallion
Reaction score
No, it's not the usual hoax for suckers.Word. :p

According to "Motociclismo" magazine (a fairly reliable source) our FJR will be marketed in Europe in 2006 with the option of a 6-speed sequential transmission.

More info as soon as it becomes available.

Stef

HOLY MOAB BATMAN!

Cripes Stef, drop a bomb on our butts why dontcha.

Except, what is up with "option"?!?!?! They don't do that kind of stuff here in the good ol US of A. Do they really offer those types of options in old Europe?

Thanks for he teaser.....

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, I guess the nagging of thousands of FJR riders found an ear in Japan. Wonder if they'll extend that option in the US? Maybe one or two model years later than our friends in Europe.

I really don't know more than what I already wrote.

Uhm.. let me quote Greg here:"That's the great thing about a situation with few facts: you can speculate endlessly based on any little tidbit or observation."

~ Allan Pratt

I've been seeking confirmation on the following sites:

- Germany's "Motorrad" ( by far the most reliable mag)

- FJR Club Germany

- FJR Club Belgium

- Google

- UK Owners

No news, no posts...nada.

It could be a journalistic clusterf*** (that's been known to happen, ain't that right Mr Newsweek?) or the major scoop that'll promote me to the rank of

FJR Intergalactic Supreme Commander with Oak Leaves :haha: :haha: :haha:

in this respected community.

Over'n out

Stef

Last edited by a moderator:
What is a 'sequential' transmission?
What we have in there now. Must go past 3rd for 4th etc, unlike a car tranny where any gear is selectable at any time.

...and the article seems to imply it will be an "automatic" (i.e. clutch free) sequential transmission. :blink:

I personally don't really see this happening.

Not just because a sixth gear is fundamentally unnecessary on this bike (given the torque/powerband), but because this represents a substantial engineering change that can only add $$$ to the final cost. Kinda doubtful that Yamaha would go to such an extreme to "fix" something that really isn't broke to begin with.

I mean, c'mon, it's not like we can't already smoke 99.7% of all vehicles on the road today as it it now.....
twisted.gif

Still, I know a lot of you kneedraggers are used to a 6th gear, and think the bike should have one anyway.... both my Blackbird and R1 have a 6-speed tranny, but then, they don't have the FJR's massive 99-ft-lbs of torque...
shrug.gif

"FJR Intergalactic Supreme Commander with Oak Leaves"

You know, if this wasn't from you Stef................................

If you are right about this 6 speed automatic, we may have to put you in for the:

[SIZE=21pt]Distinguished Flying Cross[/SIZE]

:super1: :super1: :super1: :super1: :super1: :super1: :super1: :super1:

but then, they don't have the FJR's massive 99-ft-lbs of torque...
And thats pretty much the deal. Harley added a fifth gear only because it was de rigeur for a 90's machine, a marketing rather than engineering decision. It would be cheaper for Yam to adjust the ratios a bit-drop the final to Venture level, bump first a bit to compensate, then adjust the rest for a nice rpm split. None of this would require the major redesign a sixer would. But the Feej would lose a bit of it's name in the bargain-the Sport would be somewhat emasculated in the process.

Dale,

I hear ya...

I'm still pretty skeptical about this whole tranny thing (also because no other magazine or board has picked up on it).

I for one would not want it on my Feejer anyway.

TJ,

A link with a paper magazine is beyond my abilities. Sorry. :blink:

Besides it's in Italian. As SkooterG would say, lots of vowels and few consonants :haha:

FJRocha, Overfly

I sh*t you not, bros, this is no fishing expedition here.

Stef

PS: That DFC sounds good. :agent:

I personally don't really see this happening.
Not just because a sixth gear is fundamentally unnecessary on this bike (given the torque/powerband), but because this represents a substantial engineering change that can only add $$$ to the final cost. Kinda doubtful that Yamaha would go to such an extreme to "fix" something that really isn't broke to begin with.

I mean, c'mon, it's not like we can't already smoke 99.7% of all vehicles on the road today as it it now.....
twisted.gif

Still, I know a lot of you kneedraggers are used to a 6th gear, and think the bike should have one anyway.... both my Blackbird and R1 have a 6-speed tranny, but then, they don't have the FJR's massive 99-ft-lbs of torque...
shrug.gif
I want the 6th gear for lower rpm high speed cruising and hopefully therefore less vibration (not that it's too bad now) and better MPG (not that it's too bad now either). I wouldn't bother messing with the gearing of he first 5 gears...just give me a really tall 6th.

I search for sixth occasionally, but I tried to find seventh on the connie. I'm not that sold on a sixth gear. Top gear roll-ons wouldn't be as satisfying, it's not turning that fast at highway speeds (I don't cruise at over 100), and you probably wouldn't gain much in the way of top speed. I haven't had it much over 120 anyway.