Fjr1300 Euro 2006

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Still, I know a lot of you kneedraggers are used to a 6th gear...
Look who's talkin, a guy with a friggin perty red missle! :D

I could care less about a 6th gear on the FJR. That's what my FZ1 is for. Now, not to hijack the thread too much but I'm told next year's R1 will have a slipper clutch. I don't need that either but it's cool.

-r

Last edited by a moderator:
Betcha BMW doesn't think they're gettin' whipped...
If they did, they wouldn't charge $6000 more for an obviously "lesser" motorcycle. (I originally wrote "inferior", but that's not fair to an over-all good bike line)
They musn't read the mags here then, who consistanly put the FJR and ST on the top spot, leaving the BMW far behind.

Then again, it wouldn't be the first time for BMW to think they are right and superior, even when everybody else thinks they are smoking crack. In other words, what you define as corporate thinking might just be a superiority complex and attitude problem.

Hay Howie, can you do me a favor and lose the big graphic in your sig block. On slower connections it takes fookin forever to load and then it's in every fookin sig block. Any thread with a contribution from you ends up being bypassed before I can read it.
It's no problem from home where I have a 3200+ with 2 gigs of ram and a dedicated dsl line. At work, on the 1.8 mhz with 256m of ram and a T1 line shared with 6 buildings, it's fookin winter oil flow.

Besides, isn't it the same bike as in your avatar?
It's gone!!! :sad2:

Sorry, but I didn't think it would be a problem, since it was a linked image, not a static image on the forum's server.

And no, the image wasn't "exactly" the same bike as my avatar. The avatar is a shrunken corporate pic of at 2005 Rex. My image was a pic of my '02.

Anyways, sorry for the wasted bandwidth.

If they did, they wouldn't charge $6000 more for an obviously "lesser" motorcycle.
You do know that BMW's are the LEAST expensive of the three in Europe?....

The Beemer guys over here just get the privelege of paying the markup so they can keep the exclusivity thing going. ;)

Sorry, but I didn't think it would be a problem, since it was a linked image, not a static image on the forum's server.
no problem. thanks. i don't know if it was host server that was the link or what, but i could watch that thing slowly fill in for each message. it took 5 to 10 seconds to paint it all the way in... each time.

thanks again.

If they did, they wouldn't charge $6000 more for an obviously "lesser" motorcycle. (I originally wrote "inferior", but that's not fair to an over-all good bike line)
They musn't read the mags here then, who consistanly put the FJR and ST on the top spot, leaving the BMW far behind.

Then again, it wouldn't be the first time for BMW to think they are right and superior, even when everybody else thinks they are smoking crack. In other words, what you define as corporate thinking might just be a superiority complex and attitude problem.
I doubt BMW is getting whipped, I read somewhere on the internet (so it must be true :unsure: ) that BMW sales are up 17% (or some number like that) for the first half of the year.

The bike sales I would guess are a very small peice of their buisness. :detect:

If they did, they wouldn't charge $6000 more for an obviously "lesser" motorcycle.
You do know that BMW's are the LEAST expensive of the three in Europe?....

The Beemer guys over here just get the privelege of paying the markup so they can keep the exclusivity thing going. ;)
'Scuse me?

BMW K1200GT: €19,390 (US$23,269)

Yamaha FJR1300: €17,199 (US$20,638)

Honda ST1300: €19,940 (US$23,928)

All prices incl VAT, standard, no additional options. At the prices we have to pay, all of them are f* expensive. They're also pretty close together as you can see, though the FJR stands out to the positive side. Though I find it very hard to find anything positive about a 20k pricetag for a motorcycle.

@Howardrg

Gee, thanks for the DFC but I haven't earned it yet.

I'll be on the lookout for more info on this subject.

Although it comes from a respectable monthly magazine, the fact that no other publication has picked it up makes it iffy.

While I'm waiting, I'll look for a spiffy flyboy uniform to pin the DFC on.

I'm thinkin' one of those white uniforms old Hermann Goering used to wear :bigeyes: :bigeyes: :bigeyes:

Stef

I doubt BMW is getting whipped, I read somewhere on the internet (so it must be true unsure.gif ) that BMW sales are up 17% (or some number like that) for the first half of the year.The bike sales I would guess are a very small peice of their buisness. detective2.gif
Sounds like alot, but doesn't BMW sales only account for about 1 to 2% of total M/C sales globally?

BMW K1200GT: €19,390 (US$23,269)Yamaha FJR1300: €17,199 (US$20,638)

My bad..... article I saw listed the the RT not the GT.

How much is VAT adding to that?.......... ouch!
The RT is their touring bike. Not as pompous as their GoldWing lookalike the LT, but still.

These prices are including 19% VAT. So basically, our gov wants to have a 5th of my fun.. Well, that and all the tax that is included in the €1.25 per liter gas price (about US$5.70/gallon!)

Can anyone sponsor my US greencard? :)

Just a thought here, isnt the new beemer k1200 six speed equipped and something like 168 horses ? I havent seen one yet but I think I saw an MSRP of like 22k...I could get 2 FJR's almost for that. I was glad to see them ditch the brick and do a regular, albeit teutonic, inline 4. I'd love to test drive one just for grins.

Bobby

I rode it and it's a great bike. Silly fast, great handling, mind boggling brakes and suprisingly good protection from the elements. Downsides: it has some nasty vibes and the gearbox is typical BMW (clunky and noisy; very agricultural). Too expensive though.

After 20K miles I'm still shifting into 6th, or at least trying too. If they do put a 6th in there, I hope they dont touch the first 5 gears, cuse those are setup perfect! But like others have said, it would be nice to drop the R's to 2500/3000 when crusing at the edges of slab speeds. ;)

Yo jammer, It's knowing your roads, where they hide, and where one can get away with it. After doing it for 40 years, a guy gets a feel for where they like to hang, and when. I am buds with maybe 10 cops, and I also kinda get tips from them. Can't do it everywhere, of coaurse, but ya can do more often than one would think. I wish I coulda been in on the deal recently mentioned concerning the Orange Co. Chief that deputized some 86 people, half of them relatives or politcal contributors. That woulda been the shizzle :p

BMW K1200GT: €19,390 (US$23,269)Yamaha FJR1300: €17,199 (US$20,638)

WOW,I had no idea!

You guys are paying almost double what we are.You must really love the FJR.

I wouldn't pay that much.

:blink:

Back on topic,I'll stick with the 5 speed.If you get the 6 speed you'll just be trying to shift into 7th.I did it all the time on the FZ1.I think it's a by-product of big power.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, since all bikes are that expensive, you don't really have much choice. But I am looking for a 2nd hand one, to keep cost a bit down.

You guys are paying almost double what we are
Well, bro, not quite so bad.

You have to reckon with a "real" exchange rate of $1 = €1.

Non-US car and bike makers have absorbed huge losses due to the weaker dollar. In order not to lose market share they've kept their US pricing to 2003 exchange-rate levels.

On this basis, although still cheaper stateside, the FJR only costs maybe 25% more in Europe.

Stef