Fjr1300 Euro 2006

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The FJR uses what is essentially a V-Max drive train (cost control?). This may be what dictated a 5 cog gearbox. I’m not interested in just tacking on a 6th gear. If Yamaha were to look at a 6th gear I would hope they would give us a better rear ratio that reflects the weight and power delivery curve of the FJR inline 4 as opposed to the V-4 of Mad Max.

I would like to see a 6th gear with an improved rear gear ratio and redistribute the transmission ratios for better low rpm power and still be able to deliver relaxed highway cruising and good high speed power.

FWIW, my V-Max would charge right to redline in 5th gear and the engine certainly could have pulled a taller gear and still had snapping acceleration at red line. My Honda V-4 would charge to redline in 5th gear but couldn't pull redline in 6th gear. The difference in terminal velocity was roughly 138 in 5th (dipping a trace into redline) and roughly 148 in 6th completely tucked in, mirrors folded in and a loooooong straight. Speed measurement was based on gear ratios and rpm, the speedo showed 155. Of course there was no clutch slippage :unsure:

Alan

I don't think adding a 6th would make my stop reaching for one more gear once in a while unless it was very tall. It's just a habit for me to click up one more time. Maybe an indicator of what gear I'm in like I had on my RE5. I think I saw an aftermarket thing for that but having it included on the factory info center would be nice.

it would be nice to drop the R's to 2500/3000 when crusing at the edges of slab speeds. 
Are you sure you'd want to have the RPM go THAT low? I think with the amount of wind drag at freeway speeds, and with the FJR being a little below its happy place (happy place = above 3200RPM IMO) you might wind up with a bike that can't get out of it's own way. IMO, if you want to run between 2500 and 3000, then an engine detune would be needed to adjust the torque curve lower in the RPM range to compensate. Don't know how much this would cost on top end, but I think the bike would then drive more like the ST1300. <_<

I am buds with maybe 10 cops, and I also kinda get tips from them.
OK, that explains a lot. Now I know how you get by with riding 100+ and kicking in car doors when people piss you off. You got the LEO's backing you up! Remind me to stay on yer good side.... :eh:

My FJR came with a gear indicator, it's called a Tach sitting right beside the Speedo, get used to taking a glance before you try to stab for 6th gear. It is called getting to know your machine.

Forget the 6th. gear, work on a bigger alternator to suit this ultimate LD machine, longer mirror stalks, and adjustable faring ducts for summer heat management.

If you did that in WI or MN they'd have you jailed on a gross misdemeanor and the bike impounded.
A lot of it also depends on what part of the state you live in. I put on most of the first 10,000 miles on my FJR in triple digits. Then again, I was riding from Wannaska to Drayton, ND. (Think FAR northern MN) Not a lot of traffic on some of those roads. That might explain why my gas mileage went from an average around 28 to over 40 now with 45 mph roads on my commute and a LOT more cops and a higher altitude here in CO.

Grady A. Dunham

I agree with RocketDoc in that you really need to just simply "know your machine" by reading your tach.

Here is some "food for thought" regarding a comparison between the new K1200S and the FJR:

The K1200S in 6th gear @ 80 mph produces 4800 rpms. Pg. 13 under the *transmission* section August 2005 MCN.

Hmmmm…we all know that the FJR in 5th gear does *almost* 90 mph and produces a low 5000 rpms. I really see no problem with the FJR needing another gear.

Another closer look: BMW 6th gear @ 65 mph produces 3900 rpms. Stats Pg. 16 MCN.

FJR 5th gear @ 65 mph produces 3700 rpms.

If anything…how about we get Yammie to bump up the RW HP 20 +. Now that would be Fook’n cool! :D

Know your nmachine by reading your tach...
I been thinking about this ever since I got my FJR. If I were to change something for a future model it would be the instrument cluster. Put the tach in the middle, the speedo on the right and the information center on the left. Anyone else think this is a good idea?

I'd love to have a bigger alternator, still have'nt heared from WarChild on the one they put in his bike at the Techwest 4 in May, he should have some figures out now about how it does the job.

rogerfjrfaster :D

It would be cheaper for Yam to adjust the ratios a bit-drop the final to Venture level, bump first a bit to compensate, then adjust the rest for a nice rpm split. None of this would require the major redesign a sixer would. But the Feej would lose a bit of it's name in the bargain-the Sport would be somewhat emasculated in the process.
How's that? Maybe you'd take a few more corners a gear lower.

Not that it's necessary, but I'd like another 1,000 RPM before redline, myself.

Put the tach in the middle, the speedo on the right and the information center on the left
Not me, the tach is handy but on long trips or long roads, I want a quick look at my speedo.

How about a tach with a digital speedo on the same dial. This in addition to the regular analog speedo on a separate pod.

I'll have to chime in with the sixth-not-needed camp. I've ridden six-speed bikes for the last 15 years, but this bike does not need another gear. It's just fine like it is. There's not much I'd change with the FJR. Maybe a better shock, definately more juice from the alternator. It's damn near perfect.