FJR1300A vs. ST1300 non ABS

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My offer still stands if you want to ride..

But mind you.. just enough to get withdrawls going again.

You gonna go to EOM?

I had an 03 st1300 and put 18k miles on it, i also had an 03 goldwing and put 40k miles on it. I now have an 06 fjr 1300A and for an all around use bike you cannot beat the fjr. I too am a honda person but the heat off the 1300 was outright ridiculous, the heat is also the reason I did not buy an 03 fjr. The goldwing is a most superior touring bike but for short rides or puttering around town it is too heavy and the look of the back seat/trunk were not especially appealing to me. I also did not like the fact that the passenger was sitting back away from me(one of lifes' little pleasures). My wife also like the back of the fjr and hated the st1300. I like the 3year factory warranty of the 2 hondas and am not impressed with the one year yamaha warranty especially here in FL where you cannot purchase a discounted extended warranty due to the law. To sum it up the fjr is more comfortable, better seat, usuable mirrors, sharper looking, and I ride with the bags off and it came with plastic inserts to fill in the holes left by the bags, the bike also comes with an extra lock so if you buy a trunk it will be the same key as the bike and bags, you can put something in the "glove compartment" without it melting, it comes stock with a power outlet and abs. I am totally happy with my decision. Everett
Seeya.jpg

You don't like the back? That's what most people saw of mine! ;)

I had an '04 ST1300, gr8 bike...so typically a polished Honda that it was a snooozurr. A very capable bike, but....... My '06 FJR is a noticeable improvement over the '03 I had: no cooking from engine heat, better ride and handling. Mediocore stock seat. As far as comparing the FJR to the ST: definately faster on acceleration and somewhat better handling, plus she sips regular. Got 41.7 when I filled her yesterday versus mid to upper 30s on premium with my ST. Given how we are all getting hosed, that mileage difference adds up.

With aftermarket saddles (Corbin on my '03 FJR, Sargent on the ST) both bikes were really very comfortable for long distances. The only slight drawback to my '06 FJR are the Metzlers. Both my '03 and ST had BS 020s and I much preferred them for grip/handling.

Both bikes are very good, but of the 78 bikes I've had, so far, the FJR is about as close to perfect as anything I've owned or ridden, IMhO. Enjoy! DFO :D

This was a screw up, I hit the wrong button sorry

Last edited by a moderator:
Very fair comments from everyone. I have 3 people I work with on FJR's they all love them. I an still on my 03 ST1300, purchased before the FJR came out. When we ride together is is the rider and not the bike that makes the difference. Getting ready for a new bike and looking at the 06 FJR and the K1200GT (big bucks). For the $$ the FJR is tops and may be the best for sport riding. The ST is better for a long ride as there is NO vibrations and it fits me just right.

For yours wifes ST heat is an easy fix pull off the panels on each side of the radiator, note I used quick ties to hold the outside panels to the headlight panel. Many have just cut extra holes.

Enjoy your rides.

Bill Harr

Unlike some of the other commenters, I liked my 04 ST ABS a lot. It was probably the most weather protective bike I have owned. My wife loved the pillion position on it and found it almost as comfortable as my K1200LT. Heat was NO issue on my 04 as I installed some of the recommended accesories that nearly eliminated it. If I had to choose a bike to go solo from Florida to Washington I would probably take the ST for extended tourning. If Honda ever lightens that thing up and puts a little more growl in it, I wouldnt hesitate to buy another. Having said that, the FJR is my favorite all around bike ever...if I could only have ONE motorcycle...it would be my FJR. It seems to "light a fire" whenever I crank it up....and I can't say that my ST ever did that.

In the end its these subjective feelings that motivate all of our choices...

Ride Safe,

Ron

Excellent thread. I am a new member and am reading as much as I can to learn about this bike. I currently own an 05 ST1300. I also, have a deposit on an FJR. I can relate to most of the comments made by everyone. The appeal of the ST just is not there for me as much as I have tried, it just falls flat to me. It is a great bike and I hope that I am not crazy moving to an FJR, but with the heat issue dealt with, that was what got me to move.

The "buzz" people mention in the grips is a concern, because I have tendinitis in my wrists, I cannot deal with vibration. That is what got me to the ST, no vibration. However, the bike has no pizazz to me. It has to have an excitement that draws me and the ST is kinda like a car, if you know what I mean. Any advice on the buzz aspect and how it can be addressed would be appreciated.

Thank you and it is nice to be here! Maggie

Excellent thread. I am a new member and am reading as much as I can to learn about this bike. I currently own an 05 ST1300. I also, have a deposit on an FJR. I can relate to most of the comments made by everyone. The appeal of the ST just is not there for me as much as I have tried, it just falls flat to me. It is a great bike and I hope that I am not crazy moving to an FJR, but with the heat issue dealt with, that was what got me to move.
The "buzz" people mention in the grips is a concern, because I have tendinitis in my wrists, I cannot deal with vibration. That is what got me to the ST, no vibration. However, the bike has no pizazz to me. It has to have an excitement that draws me and the ST is kinda like a car, if you know what I mean. Any advice on the buzz aspect and how it can be addressed would be appreciated.

Welcome!

Yes, I noticed the buzz when I bought my first FJR....Heavy Bar End weights and BMW grips helped me a little but the buzz was noticeable. I don't have the tendinitis issues but at this point I don't notice it "much."

Funny thing is when I had my ST for sale....a BMW owner took it for a ride and noticed buzz on the ST...which I never noticed.

Ride Safe,

Ron

I put "Grip Puppies" ($7.50) on my '06 and that dampened the right hand bar vibez down quite nicely. As others have mentioned, the STzzz is an excellent, refined, comfy long range bike....just doesn't really create any "passion" in riding it. The funny thing is I consider it one of the best looking bikes Honda has ever done, and as an Industrial Designer that carries "weight" with me, but my '06 FJR is simply more "alive" and therefore FUN to ride! Plus the deep, low growl of the FJR sure sounds better than the boiling teakettle sound of the ST. DFO :D

As other have said, you can try some heavy bar ends and grip puppies......but.....you can not eliminate the buzz. that buzz was a complaint of mine after coming off the st. The nice thing is that "the buzz" is really not an issue untill you get the Rpm's up there. For normal everyday driving, you wont need to worry about it. When your cranking the throttle on these blue rocket ships, the last thing you'll be worried about is that buzz. Make sure and do the mods though, or you'll be wondering why you switched.

GreyGoose

interesting comments from everyone on this subject - especially from the Wing and ST owners.

I think someone hit it exactly on the head when they said "when I'm on the FJR I feel like I am riding a motorcycle" - that works for me. I never have and never will want to ride a sewing-machine-smooth motorcycle.

For a view from the ST Owners site on the 06 FJR take a look HERE

+1 and +1 on the bar ends and the grip puppies. i came from a valkyrie, and the inline 4 is never going to be as smooth as a boxer or a V4. (sorry, shoulda said 4 or 6 cylinder boxer. the r1150 is a vibrator to me...) but the buzz is not annoying. and it seems to come in at around 4200+ rpm, so you will be busy watching for staters anyway. i totally concur with your comments about the ST. i rode a friends and demo'ed two before i bought the FJR. i am a devout honda guy, and still wish we had honda fit and finish and paint. but the FJR just touches someplace that the ST didn't for me.

i don't think the buzz will be a big issue. can't remember where you are, and too lazy to go back and look before i post, but if you're in the northwest you're welcome to swing a leg over mine.

now one thing about the 06 ST that is important, they got teh COLOR right. i don't ever want to dump the feej, but first time down it comes up black....

pull the trigger. you'll never stop smiling...

shu

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the advice. Now, I just need to find a bike! There are no 06's left that my dealer can find. There is a used 06 bike in our area for sale, but it looks like I am second in line at this point. Ugh. Oh well, maybe the other guy will back out........

Thanks for the advice. Now, I just need to find a bike! There are no 06's left that my dealer can find. There is a used 06 bike in our area for sale, but it looks like I am second in line at this point. Ugh. Oh well, maybe the other guy will back out........
Stuart Yamaha has one on the floor

Stuart FL

I had an '03 wing 22000 miles then a '04 ST1300 10,000 miles then a VFR and CBR 10,000 miles each. I'm now back on a '05 wing and a first for me....a VTX1300C cruiser, yes I like it for what it is and nice ride for commuting 130 miles/day backroads.

Anyway I'm thinking to add a 3rd bike since I like the wing and X, likely another sporttourer and its looking like an 06-07 FJR.

I had no complaints (major anyway) with my ST, I sold it for the VFR and CBR to ride with sportbike guys. The ST was hot as all fully faired bikes including the CBR,VFR and wing are, only an issue with temps over 85. That being said I would prefer no nut roasting, hot fairing pockets, gas tank etc. The ST was fun to ride everywhere but that sound bugged me and it did feel "soulless" as others mentioned. I always liked the looks of the FJR but stayed away because of known excess engine heat then later valve ticking. I began to ? Yamaha build quality as I've never owned one. Still I can't help but really want to ride a FJR. I love inline 4's. My first wing got me used to being comfortable all day, the X works also but I miss the sportier side of riding and think and FJR would fit the bill.

I'll look for a low mileage '06 in the spring likely and try to find an '06 owner within 150 miles of Atlanta to trade rides with my wing or X. We could ride side by side for a little while. I had a owner of a '04 agree to do this but I'd really like to ride a '06. Any takers?

I ride over 20,000 miles/yr, no wrecks or tickets in over 20 yrs. (I'm 43)

If interested in doing me a favor let pm me. I have a bad low back/hip and can't sit with knees/feet too high so I definetley need a test ride. I'm also having surgery in Aug. to fix this so I hope it won't be an issue anymore.

Steve

Latest posts