FJRF003.1: Ignition Switch

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
'haven't read all responses but I mine will be replaced Friday and I asked if this will be re-keyed to my original and the shop said yes, they have a directive to do this automatically.

Mine went smooth, took into Cycle World just off I-95 in Daytona Beach, Florida. Tech looked prepared and calm, the actual work took an hour. They have done 13 or so. Total time was about three hours, the usual BS of not meeting the scheduled start time. I waited on mine and watched the tech, he did a good job, no issues after 300 miles.

If your in the area, they have the recall work fine tuned and another 7 kits in stock. This is my second trip in, the service techs are above average. I have the new ECU on order too, I thought I already had the recall done by my selling dealer. Nope, ain't done... Yep that rough running in the mountains wasn't my imagination after all.

This is a better topic site to add a comment about checking over the work done by the servicer before riding away. See my topic "New ignition switch...new wobble" for a background story.

The following pics illustrate the disregard to an expected level of quality service. First is one of the loose pinch bolts about to fall out, and the second is of the security "snap-off" bolt heads still in place.

I focused on the cables/wires not placed back in the retention clips and on a very minor scratch that may or may not have been there before the drop off. I didn't catch the more important areas. Frame number didn't receive the recall stamping mark either (nothing much I care about, but further shows the kind of work received). Check the steering stem nut too.

PIC_0070.jpg

PIC_0073.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
A big THANK YOU to all those who contributed to making this recall happen. There are likely many others like myself who are not active forum members who benefit from folks that have extended time and effort such as this. Again, thanks! :good:

AGirl

A big THANK YOU to all those who contributed to making this recall happen. There are likely many others like myself who are not active forum members who benefit from folks that have extended time and effort such as this. Again, thanks! :good:
AGirl

Yeah buddy, mine was starting to give trouble at 7200 miles. I'll second the atta boy :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

The new recall switch seems to be working fine. I feel much better now. I will still carry the hot wire "kit" to be safe but, hopefully all will be well now.

Yeah buddy, mine was starting to give trouble at 7200 miles. I'll second the atta boy :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:
The new recall switch seems to be working fine. I feel much better now. I will still carry the hot wire "kit" to be safe but, hopefully all will be well now.
Why not just install the Brodie Bypass Relay, that way you'll never need the hotwire switch - I'm just saying.

Still no letter from Yamaha.

I'll just take the info from here to the dealer.

Also nice to see the goof-ups to watch out for.

Thanks!

Sportster

Dropped mine off at Central Texas Power Sports 0945 and got a call at 1115 telling me to come get it. :clapping: :yahoo:

Once again the forum has proven it's worth - I got my recall notice and made an appointment in person a few weeks back for my ignition switch, and while speaking with the service manager he mentions to the at the time unsuspecting me that you end up with a different key for the ignition switch.

Investigating this thread further I see the issue and the link to the actual recall bulletin with specific instructions to change out the tumbler. When I come in for the service, I have a printed copy of the bulletin in hand with associated tumbler change procedure highlighted.

I give them another chance and ask if the procedure still involves a separate key to which the service manager replies yes. I then pull out the bulletin and say "I guess they must have changed the procedure" while they scrutinize this document for authenticity and do their best to not look too busted.

Work was done properly, no scratches (other than a little scuffing on the head nut) and with my original key :) total work ~2.5 hrs. It's a shame we have to play this game and I can see why dealers try as Yamaha is only giving them 1 hr reimbursement for an obviously much longer job....

Got my IS fix on my 2008 yesterday in Germany at the Yamaha dealer. It was a no pain affair after I notified Yamaha Germany which were very nice and professional about it. It took a while for them to get the part but since my original had not given me any trouble yet, I did not mind.

So now I am really looking forward to my ride with Stefano and his buddies to Istanbul on May 16...

9 days of hopefully fun riding through the Balkan, Turkey, Greece and over to Italy and all the way up back to Switzerland :yahoo:

Mucho thanks to the forum and its members! :clapping:

Alfredo

Well i had my switch replaced last week. I just finished going over the technical bulliten and i still have the red stripe on my ignition switch. Not that big a deal i guess. I will go over things in more detail this weekend. I dropped the bike off on Monday and picked it up on the following saturday afternoon just before they closed. My FJR was the second one they have done. It was all warmed up for me too. Had 5 bars on the temp gage when i turned the key on.

Baker Boys in Oklahoma City replaced mine today.

Great service from Baker Boys, and it only took an hour.

I have a 2008 and never had an issue then about 3 weeks ago I had the recall performed then last Monday I was left dead on the side of the interstate. After about an hour she started up and I made it home now she will not start and all I get is both turn signal lights indicators & high beam indicator light on. Along with the fuel gauge flashing 8 times pause and repeat. I now have a dead bike in my garage looks like I will need a tow to the dealer. :angry2:

I have a 2008 and never had an issue then about 3 weeks ago I had the recall performed then last Monday I was left dead on the side of the interstate. After about an hour she started up and I made it home now she will not start and all I get is both turn signal lights indicators & high beam indicator light on. Along with the fuel gauge flashing 8 times pause and repeat. I now have a dead bike in my garage looks like I will need a tow to the dealer. :angry2:
What a bummer. I'd be mighty grumpy if this happened to me. Tempting to think it has something to do with the new ignition switch, although when my bike died because of ignition-switch failure, there was no flashing--just a dead bike, so this may be unrelated to the ignition-switch swap. Please let us know what you find out.

I might be wrong but your symptoms sound a little like the Ground Block meltdown/corrosion problem people have been talking about in other threads here.

Ground Block

QUESTION: DEALER HAS GONE OUT OF BUSINESS. My problem is that I live in Juneau, Alaska. I bought the bike relying on the availability of warranty service through the local dealer. However, they went out of business. The next closest dealer is a 700 mile drive to Anchorage over bad road (which I don't have time for) or an expensive ferry ride to Seattle. I have been in contact with Yamaha, which refuses to provide the switch to any other mechanic. I checked with Yamaha Canada (there is closer dealer in Whitehorse) but they cannot do warranty claims on US VINS. So basically, I am out of options for getting this service done - and Yamaha's response is a resounding "tough s**t" .

So, my question: does anyone have any suggestions how to get them to change their tune on this. There are plenty of good mechanics here who could do the work if they would just send the parts.

Thanks for your thoughts,

Paulie

QUESTION: DEALER HAS GONE OUT OF BUSINESS. My problem is that I live in Juneau, Alaska. I bought the bike relying on the availability of warranty service through the local dealer. However, they went out of business. The next closest dealer is a 700 mile drive to Anchorage over bad road (which I don't have time for) or an expensive ferry ride to Seattle. I have been in contact with Yamaha, which refuses to provide the switch to any other mechanic. I checked with Yamaha Canada (there is closer dealer in Whitehorse) but they cannot do warranty claims on US VINS. So basically, I am out of options for getting this service done - and Yamaha's response is a resounding "tough s**t" .
So, my question: does anyone have any suggestions how to get them to change their tune on this. There are plenty of good mechanics here who could do the work if they would just send the parts.

Paulie
Paulie,

Here's what I would do:

Order the repair kit from one of the online parts places like Ron Ayers.

Download the dealer's instructions.

Order a Brodie relay.

Install the kit yourself and then install the Brodie relay as insurance.

I would not worry about what Yamaha's records show.

JamesK you are correct it is the melted ground connector, I did finally find it in another thread. I fixed it once it failed again I have a better solution for it I hope to do over the long weekend. Thanks for the feedback

Steve

This is a better topic site to add a comment about checking over the work done by the servicer before riding away. See my topic "New ignition switch...new wobble" for a background story.
The following pics illustrate the disregard to an expected level of quality service. First is one of the loose pinch bolts about to fall out, and the second is of the security "snap-off" bolt heads still in place.

I focused on the cables/wires not placed back in the retention clips and on a very minor scratch that may or may not have been there before the drop off. I didn't catch the more important areas. Frame number didn't receive the recall stamping mark either (nothing much I care about, but further shows the kind of work received). Check the steering stem nut too.

PIC_0070.jpg

PIC_0073.jpg
Thanks to this post I checked mine when it came out of the dealer. I couldn't believe it...the f****ng pinch bolts weren't even finger tightened. I brought the service manager out from behind his desk into the parking lot, showed him and told him to wheel this thing back in and have another tech check everything over. I'm still seething over this....now I understand why so many guys on this forum do their own work.

Paulie

Paulie, contact Gary McCoy at Mondak Motorsports.

He can send you the switch with the tech bulletin and instructions. You'll have to pay shipping.

[email protected] phone 866-433-6635