FJRF003.1: Ignition Switch

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And thanks Iggy for going to bat for us and finding a copy of the bulletin that I now hope everyone reads before they go in for the recall switch replacement.
VPup
And please let me request again that you use the information to ensure they make things right. Please don't use it as a battering ram to beat them into the stone age. We at the forum REALLY don't want to receive some letter from Yamaha legal with the words "cease and desist" in it. We want dealers to do things correctly....not get them bent out of shape and start pointing at us at the next dealer meeting.

Thanks.

The Management

Last edited by a moderator:
Had mine done Saturday at Cycle Nation in Braselton. Very easy (and it gave me chance to try out my newly purchased heated undies!) and came back with the same key. Took abut 2 hours, but they also had a guy in the shop who had just wrecked his bike and needed some emergency repairs.

Thanks for adding the technical bulletin. I now feel I'll be fully prepared to be able to talk with the service manager in a knowledgable manner when I go to get mine done this weekend. I'll let everyone know how it goes

I had mine done last week at our brand new Katy Yamaha near I-10 and Fry road. Brendon, the service mgr seems to know & love FJRs. The work looks to be done right and I have no complaints. I think I'm going to like this new shop. We have been without a dealer for about a year now in this area.

:yahoo: Yup it's nice to see you folks getting taken care of like you SHOULD be.
And yes, my service mgr called this AM and said they were now ready to get me back to having a one key motorcycle. I sure hope that if he did actually call Yamaha that the MamaYama techs made him feel like a fool. Hell, I bet the receptionist who answers the phone could tell him how to do it!! :p I hope to have a positive result to report by Thursday, but I do feel sorry for the 2 or 3 folks before me that used this same dealer service for their switch replacement and are probably carrying 2 keys from now on.

VPup

I had mine done this morning at Colorado Power Sports in Northglenn,Co. I can highly recommend that they did a great job on my bike in less than an hour and thirty minutes. It was a long drive up there from Littleton but was worth it. When I bought the bike fourteen months ago, it was set up and delivered correctly as well. Their techs seem to care about the quality of the work they do. So it might be a worth while trip for a Colorado resident not too far away.

Yet another success story with Stadium Yamaha in Irving, TX. Fast service and they knew exactly what they were doing.

The service manager was actually offended when I asked before hand if he knew to swap the lock cylinder. He asked what kind of dumb ass I thought he was? Of course he'd be swapping the cylinder, otherwise "...you'd end up with two keys. How dumb would that be?"

They had one '09 on the floor. Sure does look sweet all blacked out like that. If I didn't have so much time and $$$ invested in my farkling...

Got my new switch installed today, while I waited. Took abt 1.5 hours. Great technician...he also checked and re-torqued the steering stem spanner nuts while he had stuff apart. Yamaha of Florence...Chris was the tech...nice guy and totally concerned about protecting the paint and finish of the bike. I also set a new personal record on my 80 mile trip back home on the low fuel trip. I'll post how far I had the balls to go before stopping for fuel in the appropriate thread.

My bike died yesterday with the same failure, then looking for information I founded this topic, I sent this information to Yamaha Chile, and they will fix the problem following the instruction that I downloaded from this topic and forwarder to them.

Thanks you to all that published this information.

My bike died yesterday with the same failure, then looking for information I founded this topic, I sent this information to Yamaha Chile, and they will fix the problem following the instruction that I downloaded from this topic and forwarder to them.
Thanks you to all that published this information.
I hope the switch failure did not occur while you were in motion. Glad you can get it fixed. You can find out lots of stuff here on the forum, so don't be a stranger.

When I got the bike to return to home after work was impossible to start the bike, then I got the subway. Today early in the morning started reading the forum for similar situations when I founded this post.

Now the bike is in the Yamaha Chile service. They haven't notice about the recall but they are asking to Yamaha headquarters for instructions.

I hope they can fix the bike at least temporally with a standard key switch while they get the new parts to do the complete repair.

Took my FJR 07 to Yamaha of Rancho Cucamonga in San Bernardino, CA. Jay and the techs did an excellent job, swapped out the old switch kept the old tumblers, same original key. Had them change the plugs and do a throttle body sync. done within three hours and on the same day it was brought in.

They are excellent and very courteous!!! I highly recommend them :yahoo:

I scheduled my 07 for the recall for today. I delivered it at 9:30 and was out before 11:00. I took it to Baker Boys Yamaha, Oklahoma City, OK and Brandon did the swap out. He is their best tech in my opinion. Mine was the 3rd one he has done and of the 3, one had evidence of the overheating contacts. It was not mine. Again I am pleased with Baker Boys.

I intentionally waited for them to do a couple of the ignitions before I took mine in. I preferred that someone else be the first in case they had any problems. Brandon did tell me that he had a little trouble with the first one but did not specify what it was.

:yahoo: Yup it's nice to see you folks getting taken care of like you SHOULD be.
And yes, my service mgr called this AM and said they were now ready to get me back to having a one key motorcycle. I sure hope that if he did actually call Yamaha that the MamaYama techs made him feel like a fool. Hell, I bet the receptionist who answers the phone could tell him how to do it!! :p I hope to have a positive result to report by Thursday, but I do feel sorry for the 2 or 3 folks before me that used this same dealer service for their switch replacement and are probably carrying 2 keys from now on.

VPup
Yes, I now have a positive update to report.

But before I do, I wanted to extend a gracious [SIZE=18pt]Thank You [/SIZE]to FredW for his timely reponses to my difficulties. Fred, you helped light a fire under me my friend. And to Ignacio again for posting the .pdf of the service bulletin. Iggy you'll be happy to know that I didn't use it to club my service mgr into submission, but yet went forth with quiet confidence that I knew what was supposed to happen. After all, knowledge is power!

Now my ig switch has the correct cylinder in it for me to return to using but one key - the original one. It did take another 2 hours or so but the service personnel threw in a complimentary oil/filter change down the road for my troubles. Alls well that ends well. And I also feel good that now this dealer knows how to do the recall work the right way....thanks again to this forum. :clapping: :clapping:

VPup

Got mine done yesterday at Golden Triangle. They did it right. They had already done 10 others before I got there. I guess waiting a while paid off. No problems at all. Had the tech bulliten in hand. Thanks guys. They did not need it they said they had plenty. The service manager said Yamaha should have sent new bag locks and all but you would still need the gas tank lock. I guess this was the cheapest way. They connected mine to the relay I had already installed. I wonder if they had seen any others. Thanks again Brodie.

Got mine done yesterday at Golden Triangle. They did it right. They had already done 10 others before I got there. I guess waiting a while paid off. No problems at all. Had the tech bulliten in hand. Thanks guys. They did not need it they said they had plenty. The service manager said Yamaha should have sent new bag locks and all but you would still need the gas tank lock. I guess this was the cheapest way. They connected mine to the relay I had already installed. I wonder if they had seen any others. Thanks again Brodie.
Drilling out the 2 screws and swapping the lock cylinders is way easier than swapping all the rest of the locks on the bike, especially since they already have the lock assembly in hand. They don't even have to be all that careful when drilling out the screws as they use the new lock housing in the reassembly (per the directions) so if they bugger up the old one, who cares?

In reality, this is how it should have been done any time someone needed a replacement ignition switch for an electrical problem. Those folks that had one done previously and ended up with two sets of keys got screwed. In fact, I wonder if you ordered a new switch and looked under the rubber screw covers if the security screws were ever broken off... :unsure:

As to the wiring, they just disconnect the old switch and reconnect the new one. I bet they don't even pay any attention to what it is connected to, so probably don't even notice that you have an added (Brodie) relay unless they've already done quite a few of them.

"Hey... something's different about this one..." :dribble:

I've got one that will make BulletBrad's skin crawl. The recall was done well, it would seem (but they left on that red stripe and I haven't looked closely to see how easy it will be to get off). Per this thread, I asked for them to do a TBS while the tank was up - easy, right? I've watched Smitty do one start to finish with no problem. When I went to get the bike, they said "that will be $168." Huh? I was expecting around $40.

Before anyone jumps on me, let me assure you that I started calm but then worked my way up to really not anything resembling calm. In the end, if I wanted to take my bike I had to pay. But I assured them they were making a short-sighted mistake.

-FOF

PS - I think the tech did a good job on the TBS.