FJRF003.1: Ignition Switch

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yammie replaced the ignition switch back in Oct when it failed to start the bike. They did the right thing and had a locksmith key the switch to the original key. Now I have to call them and ask if the newer unit is subject to recall.
You can determine the answer yourself, if you want, you'll just have to raise up the tank. The wiring harness from an updated switch will have a yellow stripe of tape wrapped around near the connectors.

In case I have not mentioned it to you lately Fred. :finger:
Hey man, don't take it out on me. Vent that anger on the dealer monkeys that screwed up this simple job because they do not know how to follow the directions.

Last edited by a moderator:
Do the US models have immobilisers fitted?
Sort of...

Hence the recall :rolleyes:

subtle. had a good laugh when I read that.

As a follow up for Canadians I received an email from my dealer today. I did not buy the bike from them but transferred the extended warranty thru them when I bought the bike privately in December.

The dealer advised (via email) that there was a recall for the switch and wanted to know "would you like us to pick bike up and do recall."

This dealer, Inglis Cycle, of London is 42km from my home.

Thats pretty good customer service in my books. :victory:

Paul

Well I just picked up my bike and guess what? THERE ARE TWO NEW FUCKING KEYS FOR THE IGNITION! So now I have one key for the ignition and one key for the seat, panniers, top case and helmet locks. ****. :angry22: I though they were going to keep the same key for everything?

I'd take it back and refer them to the section in the recall called

"Preparing the New Main Switch for Installation".

"The key cylinder assembly from the old main switch assembly is reused in the new main switch so the customer can use the same key as before."

Instruction step #14 - #21 covers this. I hate it when mechanics can't or won't follow simple instructions.

Go getum........

I'd also like to add that the ones we have recieved do have a new lock cylinder in them and the tech is suppose to remove it and replace with your old one. Just more ammo for ya.....

Well I just picked up my bike and guess what? THERE ARE TWO NEW FUCKING KEYS FOR THE IGNITION! So now I have one key for the ignition and one key for the seat, panniers, top case and helmet locks. ****. :angry22: I though they were going to keep the same key for everything?
I just finished reading the full tech bulletin.

The TB explicitly has them reuse the key cylinder from the old switch. In fact the new parts do not even include a new cylinder or keys. So you got hosed. Or hosed yourself...
The new switches come to the dealers as a complete unit, keys and all (marked with a yellow piece of tape around the wires)...I saw it this morning. The tech needs to switch the tumblers.

As many of us on the forum have learned it seems in our best interest to work with Yamaha as much as possible to resolve issues that emerge....or maybe more correctly document things and hope they might hear us through the castle gate. Such is the corporate world....but I think it's fair to say WE on this forum had a direct and significant impact on helping to resolve the issue.

And as much as I'd like to just put a copy of the actual Technical Bulletin and put a link on here....it is copyrighted. We'd rather on this forum not annoy the hand that eventually fixes things. And realistically.....we're just not going to get permission to repost it.

So, under the intent of Fair Use I've created a synopsis of details from that bulletin, observations accumulated by others, and some other data nuggets accumulated. Hopefully it helps this community AND Yamaha promoting safety as well as satisfactory resolution of issues on a model we dearly love.

Clicky here for the synopsis.

Tip O' the Beenie to certain Mechanic/Dealership/FJR Owner type folks for major input on this. ;)

Also, some may note that this and other nuggets of wisdom in this 300+ post thread are summarized in the first post.

called my local dealer today - they are getting me one of the replacement switches.

the service manager said they have swapped out 3 already and they reinstall the original key core so there is no option on that - i.e., i will be keeping my original key (YAY!). he said this job will also get my steering head retightened.

he took my VIN to research my bike then called me back and told me that all 2008s are getting recalled.

The new switches come to the dealers as a complete unit, keys and all (marked with a yellow piece of tape around the wires)...I saw it this morning. The tech needs to switch the tumblers.

TRUE!

Just had mine done this morning, and all you have to do is tell the dealer whether you want to use the new key tumbler set or the old.

I elected to use the new so I can have different keys for the ignition and bags. I now have two ignition and two bag keys, which is just what I wanted.

Now I can attach a knob to each of the bag keys and leave them in the bags so I don"t have to remove the ignition key every time I forgot that I needed something in the bags!

Well my PMS (Parked Motorcycle Syndrome) has vanished for another few weeks!! :yahoo: I rode to work today in 17 degree weather. Sun shinning and dry roads with the video camera running. My switch is being installed as I type this and I'll have pictures tonight. I'm hoping we can open up the switch to see if there is a redesign of the insides. If I'm lucjy, it will reach a balmy 27 degrees before I head home at 8pm. B)

I'm still on the fence. No notice in the mail and no dealership anymore. I think I'll keep the older version of the switch with Brodie's Harness in place. I would like to have another on hand in case this fails but I doubt they'd give me a switch. Already ended up with one key (cut one one side for ignition and on the other for gas cap and side cases) but two different locks. Just not sure....

I'm still on the fence. No notice in the mail and no dealership anymore. I think I'll keep the older version of the switch with Brodie's Harness in place. I would like to have another on hand in case this fails but I doubt they'd give me a switch. Already ended up with one key (cut one one side for ignition and on the other for gas cap and side cases) but two different locks. Just not sure....
Well, here's the good thing. If you just hold off the recall will stay on the books. Then you can bring it in when it's convenient for you and they still have to do the job for free.

As many of us on the forum have learned it seems in our best interest to work with Yamaha as much as possible to resolve issues that emerge....or maybe more correctly document things and hope they might hear us through the castle gate. Such is the corporate world....but I think it's fair to say WE on this forum had a direct and significant impact on helping to resolve the issue.
And as much as I'd like to just put a copy of the actual Technical Bulletin and put a link on here....it is copyrighted. We'd rather on this forum not annoy the hand that eventually fixes things. And realistically.....we're just not going to get permission to repost it.

So, under the intent of Fair Use I've created a synopsis of details from that bulletin, observations accumulated by others, and some other data nuggets accumulated. Hopefully it helps this community AND Yamaha promoting safety as well as satisfactory resolution of issues on a model we dearly love.

Clicky here for the synopsis.

Tip O' the Beenie to certain Mechanic/Dealership/FJR Owner type folks for major input on this. ;)

Also, some may note that this and other nuggets of wisdom in this 300+ post thread are summarized in the first post.
Ignacio,

Thank you for the synopsis! I've printed a copy to take with me to the dealer tomorrow when my bike gets the repair. This will ensure there are no surprises.

I'd also like to take this time to thank Al Gore for inventing the internet so we FJR owners can get support like this.

Love this Forum !

I just received a Yamaha notice of a safety recall applicable to all 2006 through 2008 and certain 2009 models. Reason given is main ignition switch may fail suddenly leaving you without power with possible risk of "injury or death".

I think most of us who have watched this forum are aware of the issue with sudden failure of ignition switches on these model years. The notice says to make an appointment with your friendly Yamaha dealer and they will replace the switch "no charge"-takes about an hour. Notice warns you "not to ride your motorcycle until this modification is performed". yeah sure. <_<

Dropped off my bike yesterday afternoon to get new PR2s installed and also asked about the recall. The service advisor indicated that they would need to order the part/switch from Yamaha.

Went down to the shop this morning to pick up my bike -- new tires, and also the ignition switch replaced under warranty. Service Manager, who is great, indicated that they had 4 of the ignition switches arrive yesterday afternoon, so they used one for my bike since it was there being serviced and would use the one ordered for mine on one of the other bikes next week. A very nice surprise for sure.

He indicated that they basically just replace the switch and swap out the lock/tumblers so that the old key remains, thus continue to just have the same, one key, for ignition and saddle bags. Brodie's relay arrived yesterday so I will be installing it next week as an additional safety factor!

I can't believe this is still open, Iggy must be at lunch......

It is Friday though.

R

I just received a Yamaha notice of a safety recall applicable to all 2006 through 2008 and certain 2009 models. Reason given is main ignition switch may fail suddenly leaving you without power with possible risk of "injury or death". I think most of us who have watched this forum are aware of the issue with sudden failure of ignition switches on these model years. The notice says to make an appointment with your friendly Yamaha dealer and they will replace the switch "no charge"-takes about an hour. Notice warns you "not to ride your motorcycle until this modification is performed". yeah sure. <_<

Just got my note, on hold with the dealer now, wish me luck.

As most of you already know of the Safety recall on the Ignition switch, but what about the dam key?

I made an appointment to have it done, but they WILL not re-key it, (BASTARDS! :angry: ), but did offer to have me re-key it so they could install it. So if i end up having to re-key this bitch, is that hard to do on my own or should i have an "professional" lock-smith do it?

My letter clearly states that my current key will work with the new switch.....

Call Yamaha and sort it out.

R

Took Black Beauty in for her 600 miles service two weeks ago. The dealer caught the recall but it was news to me.

They said it would only take a day to install the new switch - that was a week ago. They've scheduled a locksmith

to "fix" the ignition so I'll only have one key. Sounds good to me.