FJRForum Official 2015 Iron Butt Rally Tracking/Analysis thread

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
there have been some none-too-subtle hints out there that speeds were being monitored and excessive speed would carry a pretty stiff penalty.

but, If the actual standards are public I haven't seen them

Mr. last-guy-out-of-Wyoming is pushing the envelope too. I could not do this even if I had liquid Tums in my camelback.

with a 1% of bonus point penalty per minute after 8pm, this could get ugly for some riders for leg two. Starting the Tennessee leg with negative points will be a mental challenge!

I wonder if the Susanville and Wyoming riders are two that are only looking to finish, not place high in the points. That would give them a 2 hour buffer. That being said, I would NOT want to play it that close! One delay for construction and you could be out!!

All of "my" horses are within the 10 hour line - now that we're down to 9.5 hrs, but some not by much... Definitely will be a nail biter for me this evening!

I wish I could stay awake late. For me to stay up until 8 MDT will be a challenge, let alone the 10PM cut off. Y'all keep me posted so I can check when I wake up tomorrow!

I'll be heading down to the checkpoint in TN. Leaving on Saturday morning to hang out with my buddy who will be there helping folks with maintenance and repairs, maybe look to catch some fireworks (if I can stay awake!). Anyone have local knowledge on a good spot to do that? Sunday should be a ton of fun! You know there's something wrong with an individual who enjoys sitting at the scoring table going thru the pile of stuff riders plop down on the table.

What I love most about this rally is that every rider has taken a different route. I have a handful of private Spots, and each one is different. It's quite interesting just seeing how 87 people can come up with 87 ways to skin the cat. I think in past rallies there was always a certain "winning route" that the big dogs took, with minor variations accounting for the final standings. Not so this time.

The way some of these riders are pushing the envelope, the scoring table might be a good place to catch some fireworks.

Looks like Mr/Mrs Wyoming is catching up with the herd. Meanwhile the rider just south of Provo doesn't seem to be moving. Rider #176 in NV needs a very smooth transit through Vegas and a strong tail wind.

Last edited by a moderator:
What I love most about this rally is that every rider has taken a different route. I have a handful of private Spots, and each one is different. It's quite interesting just seeing how 87 people can come up with 87 ways to skin the cat. I think in past rallies there was always a certain "winning route" that the big dogs took, with minor variations accounting for the final standings. Not so this time.
The genius of the routemaster shining through it seems.

Rider #176 is going running near Bonnie Clair, NV at 11:35 MDT. That gives him/her 10.5 hours to go 733 miles, or a ROLLING average of 70 mph.

I dunno about that one.

Also, I'm wondering if there is an opportunity for me to high 5 a rider or two heading toward Kingsport through me over the weekend. How would they feel about me following them safely behind for morale support and perhaps offer continued encouragement?

I am surely a spot noob, but I looked at some of my old spot tracks and I don't see a report for current speed. How are the staff tracking riders' speeds?
Spotwalla gets all the data, but presents different views to different users. The main view showing all riders doesn't include the speed values, but other views -- almost definitely password-protected -- can and do show all the available values.

The Rally Staff also have direct access to the individual tracks of each rider, in addition to the group view.

Where did the one go that was east of Provo? They didn't move for a long time, and now it's gone. I hope they just had trouble with their Spot...

Oy! Who is that in Estes Park? Google maps says it's 7:43 to ABQ with only 7:17 before penalty points. Hope whatever is at Rocky Mountain NP, or where ever, is worth it! Stops for gas, etc, whew, way too close for me!

Where did the one go that was east of Provo? They didn't move for a long time, and now it's gone. I hope they just had trouble with their Spot...
Provo location might be the last signal sent before the spot batteries died. When the rider noticed and changed batteries the new spot location would be miles away from Provo.

Someone is still dawdling in Estes Park at a Big-O tire outlet. I don't like his odds of timely tire repair there. The rider out of Susanville from this morning has done everything necessary up to this point, but his ride of a lifetime is just a bit past half over. Currently 91 degrees F in Las Vegas.

Last edited by a moderator:
Also, I'm wondering if there is an opportunity for me to high 5 a rider or two heading toward Kingsport through me over the weekend. How would they feel about me following them safely behind for morale support and perhaps offer continued encouragement?
Interesting question...so what is proper "fan" etiquette just in case they are encountered while riding around on this side of the country. Is it best just to kinda stay in the breakdown lane and wave as they pass by? I probably couldn't keep up with them to ride along even if I wanted to....lol.

Thanks BritRider for the explanation.

I noticed that there is a huge traffic backup in Estes Park. I hope the rider is just stuck in the traffic, and not part of the problem...

Status
Not open for further replies.