FJRForum Official 2015 Iron Butt Rally Tracking/Analysis thread

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Rider #176 is going running near Bonnie Clair, NV at 11:35 MDT. That gives him/her 10.5 hours to go 733 miles, or a ROLLING average of 70 mph.
I dunno about that one
Not looking good at this point unless their Spot location is off (Henderson, NV)... 563 miles to go and about 7 hours total time left before DNF... wondering if s/he forgot about the time change so thinks there's another hour?

Rider #176 is going running near Bonnie Clair, NV at 11:35 MDT. That gives him/her 10.5 hours to go 733 miles, or a ROLLING average of 70 mph.
I dunno about that one
Not looking good at this point unless their Spot location is off (Henderson, NV)... 563 miles to go and about 7 hours total time left before DNF... wondering if s/he forgot about the time change so thinks there's another hour?
Garmin sometimes helps out here, and sometimes doesn't. My 660 was always giving me arrival times in the local time of the destination, the 550 remained on CST regardless.

Susanville doesn't seem to have moved for a while; I hope s/he hasn't just gone home (especially since I know a few riders from Henderson, NV)

You'll need some serious use of the F5 key to follow the traffic cam.

Also, I'm wondering if there is an opportunity for me to high 5 a rider or two heading toward Kingsport through me over the weekend. How would they feel about me following them safely behind for morale support and perhaps offer continued encouragement?
Interesting question...so what is proper "fan" etiquette just in case they are encountered while riding around on this side of the country. Is it best just to kinda stay in the breakdown lane and wave as they pass by? I probably couldn't keep up with them to ride along even if I wanted to....lol.
Proper Etiquette would be to either wave from a distance or Best stay tuned to your computer and whach from home. These Guys don't need any distractions from the task at hand.

It didn't occur to me that some of the "outlying" riders may be competing only to finish. I don't think there is anyway to know if that is the case by looking at the Spot page - correct? Maybe that is something that could be considered for future events - throw a bone for the fans!!

(2nd comment) So if I understand previous posts, if I wanted to use the spot page to time a cheerleading, I need to treat the spot page like it's 10 minutes behind what it shows?

Plea for help!
We have an FJR coming in with possible bent front forks. The bike is ridable but not what you'd want to ride for 7,000 or so more miles. Looking for a Gen II that would be able to help with a possible fork swap this evening in Albuquerque.

If you're able to help please give me a call.

Derek - (218) 461-8411
eRepairables has an entire '07 up for auction tagged in Albuquerque, which means there's probably a motorcycle boneyard in near Albuquerque that is waiting for an offer to be made on the bike...

https://erepairables.com/salvage-cars-auction/motorcycles/yamaha/fjr1300/2007-yamaha-fjr1300-12370124?utm_source=daily_updates&utm_medium=email&utm_term=&utm_content=targeted&utm_campaign=yamaha+fjr1300

Maybe pass the hat around?
There is a boneyard on Coors Rd named Southwest Cycles (505) 877-5272. It is at 2623 Coors Blvd SW, which is about 14 miles from the Sheraton. Call and speak to Theresa, she is a saint! Tell her that Don the Iron Butt guy sent you!
No dice. They don't have any year FJR in their yard. I have the seals and oil in my hands, I just need someone that knows how to do the job. I have never done it, and I don't know that Josh has either.

I'm going to try Steve at Motoauthority here in Albuquerque, but the plan is to be in Albuquerque around 5, do scoring, and then get his bike worked on. That's going to put him in a shop around 6, so I gotta find someone willing to stay open.

If this is something someone can walk us through, let me know. Pretty sure we need a piece of pipe to seat the seals, and I'll need that pipe size.

If you have any ideas or advice, call me ASAP @ 5oh5three six 2 zero niner two 1.

It didn't occur to me that some of the "outlying" riders may be competing only to finish. I don't think there is anyway to know if that is the case by looking at the Spot page - correct? Maybe that is something that could be considered for future events - throw a bone for the fans!!
(2nd comment) So if I understand previous posts, if I wanted to use the spot page to time a cheerleading, I need to treat the spot page like it's 10 minutes behind what it shows?
Many of the riders are always competing for a finish, then they consider medal place ... only after that do podium contenders play out. They make a plan, and they ride it but in this one the rules for a finish are very simple and clear. That said, ost will tell you that a "finish" is all that is on their mind, whatever their inner-most desires might be. I would certainly tell you that :D

Assume that Spot is lagging by at least 30 minutes if you want to ride to intercept. It usually lags 10 to 20 minutes in practise.

Guys .... Something to bear in mind that is different for this Rally.
Points do not matter if you are aiming for Finisher status (and many are).

Points will only separate riders in the final standings. To be considered a Finisher, and get that three digit IBA#, what a rider has to do is collect 50 Parks and 25 States ... That is all.

So a gagillion penalty points will NOT affect finisher status, the only thing that will is a DNF or failure to complete the objective.
So using the susanville rider as an example. If s/he is not competing for points; they are still bound by the 10 pm window or its a DNF? Yes?

Interesting concept this 50 parks/25 states...In the past, if a rider arrived at a checkpoint after it closed (10 pm MDT in this case), they would not get credit for any points they collected on the just-ended leg(the first leg in this instance), plus they could not get points on the next (second) leg either (I assume the IBA just withheld the rallybook for the next (second) stage and said 'see you at the next checkpoint'). The rider could then ride to the next checkpoint, rest up, and get the rallybook along with all the other riders on the third leg. So...what is the ruling on this circumstance this year??? Since the riders know where all the parks are (they got a thumbdrive with them on it at the beginning of the rally), will they be allowed to collect as many states/parks as they can on the second leg to qualify as 'finisher', and just not collect any bonus points, or what?

Discuss. Wildly inaccurate and poorly considered opinions pulled out of your ass will be given due attention. Talk amongst yourself, then post away.

hppants posted: <snip> So if I understand previous posts, if I wanted to use the spot page to time a cheerleading, I need to treat the spot page like it's 10 minutes behind what it shows?
The usual, everyday Spotwalla posts a spot between 10 and 15 minutes late. Assuming there's no special delay on the IBR (perhaps a bad assumption?) you'd need to position yourself 15 minutes in advance and hope nothing changes from averaging the past few spots.

Now, if the rider gooses the throttle a bit during the last spot period -- even 5 mph above past averages -- 15 minutes early means you'll miss 'em.

My advice? Get there 30 mins early, sit on the shoulder or entrance ramp, keep a good lookout, and be patient.

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting concept this 50 parks/25 states...In the past, if a rider arrived at a checkpoint after it closed (10 pm MDT in this case), they would not get credit for any points they collected on the just-ended leg(the first leg in this instance), plus they could not get points on the next (second) leg either (I assume the IBA just withheld the rallybook for the next (second) stage and said 'see you at the next checkpoint'). The rider could then ride to the next checkpoint, rest up, and get the rallybook along with all the other riders on the third leg. So...what is the ruling on this circumstance this year??? Since the riders know where all the parks are (they got a thumbdrive with them on it at the beginning of the rally), will they be allowed to collect as many states/parks as they can on the second leg to qualify as 'finisher', and just not collect any bonus points, or what?Discuss. Wildly inaccurate and poorly considered opinions pulled out of your ass will be given due attention. Talk amongst yourself, then post away.
Okay ... Here is what the riders have.

They have a thumbdrive with ALL the locations for the entire rally. All locations except a few group photos are available on every leg, but they can carry different point values for each leg. When they set out they knew only the point values of each location on the 1st Leg.

Every bonus but one is a Daylight Only bonus, but they are further constrained by park admission times which have been checked but can vary during the season. They do not need a park stamp, they need a photograph. The riders were told that, notwithstanding the park admission times, they would be allowed credit if they could access the location without having to go through any locked obstacles.

For the IBR, Daylight is, I believe, Sunrise to Sunset + or - 1 hour.

Edit ... I missed part of your question ... No, they cannot miss the 10 pm deadline. If they are not in by 10 they will DNF.

Last edited by a moderator:
flars - I don't recall a rally where that was done. If so, before I got interested, I think 03? You don't get there by 10 PM MDT, you're a DNF. Totally bummed that was Tonie with the tire. Really hoping she makes it. Sounds like there's terrible weather. First hope, safety. Second, check point by 10. Go, Tonie, go!

HotRodZilla

Check your messages I have an idea for you. no guarantees though just an idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.