FJRForum Official 2015 Iron Butt Rally Tracking/Analysis thread

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If anyone can help Josh out with needed parts off your bike, please do. He's not gonna run off with your forks. Promise.

First, thanks to the FJR folks for hosting this and letting us FNG's from the outside tag along for the ride...best site on the Web for 11 days every other year!

What is the penalty for switching bikes during the rally? Should they not be able to fix Josh's forks, what happens if he borrows someone else's bike to complete the rally? Would it mean kissing any chance for the win goodbye?

Lumpy

First, thanks to the FJR folks for hosting this and letting us FNG's from the outside tag along for the ride...best site on the Web for 11 days every other year!
What is the penalty for switching bikes during the rally? Should they not be able to fix Josh's forks, what happens if he borrows someone else's bike to complete the rally? Would it mean kissing any chance for the win goodbye?

Lumpy
Penalty is 50% of total points but ... It will only affect final position in standings. It will not affect Finisher Status or Medal Category.

Last edited by a moderator:
I really hope it doesn't come to that, someone please step up....

Points affects finisher status. Trust me, having changed bikes 6 miles from the finish, you lose your points. You standing is reflective of your new points total. Medal status is another story, that is unaffected.
In this one, "Finisher" status would be unaffected (this is not normal), because to be a finisher a rider only needs to complete the 25 States and 50 Parks, on as many bikes as necessary. But Josh is one of the riders expected to finish high in the standings. That is where the points matter in this Rally, and he would be severely compromised.

Is the rider just needing a rebuild? The earlier report I read said the forks were bent and needed a fork swap. Did I miss an update on the rider's condition? I'd hate for HotRodZilla to show up with seals, tools and bushings only to find it was all for naught.

Oh yea, and referring to earlier posts...I'd be willing to bet that a UK rider like Phil who's been enduring the heat of the Southern US including the southernmost parts of Texas was probably happy with a little bit of cool rain.
biggrin.png

First, thanks to the FJR folks for hosting this and letting us FNG's from the outside tag along for the ride...best site on the Web for 11 days every other year day!

Lumpy
Fixed it for you...
punk.gif

Assume that Spot is lagging by at least 30 minutes if you want to ride to intercept. It usually lags 10 to 20 minutes in practise.
I was able to see the riders this morning at the gate where they would be going slow anyway and the gate way not manned so I was not too much of distract them from the business at hand. I use spot to know they were in the area and I guessed the bonus was day light only. I think 30 minutes is the minimum, any less and you stand to miss the intercept.

I will say it was really cool watching the first 2 riders coming down off the monument seeing the lead bike with all the LED's lighting up the morning. The roads in the Co Nat Monument is carved into an almost vertical wall.

Dave

Oh yea, and referring to earlier posts...I'd be willing to bet that a UK rider like Phil who's been enduring the heat of the Southern US including the southernmost parts of Texas was probably happy with a little bit of cool rain.
biggrin.png
Confirmed! I knew I was rooting for a non-American on a non-FJR!! Lol! Go Phil!!
grin.gif

In his situation, I might be sorely tempted to add the extra 45 miles and use the ET Highway from Tonopah to Alamo, and then US-93 into Vegas. US-95 is heavily patrolled by local instant-on LEOs, while an experienced rider with the right equipment can make up time using the alternate route, even with the extra distance.

But even so, he's gonna need to bust out an epic ride to make it in time.
The northern end of ETHwy (at least in 1013) was heavy gravel N of Rachel. I was swamped by a wave of gravel from a semi heading the other way. It was like being on a lake with a speed boat swamping you with a wave.

But more gravely.

A bit of levity while white-knuckling the time line....

Stopped at a rest stop on 95 below Coors 'd Arlene today to refresh the eval vest.

Saw a brand new KTM 1190 with rider appreciating an IB style table top nap. It was hot, +112 F.

He saw me, jumped up, RAN over, and asked, 'Are you in the rally'?

I laughed so hard I'm sure it was heard all the the way to RJ's place.

ps Good to see RJ posting again.

Now then, let's get Mountain fixed up! As CBA #10, we have to help this mad man!

Looks like 3 or 4 riders will get to the barn in the penalty window. a couple are very close to time that the window opens.

A bit of levity while white-knuckling the time line....
~snip~

He saw me, jumped up, RAN over, and asked, 'Are you in the rally'?

I laughed so hard I'm sure it was heard all the the way to RJ's place.

ps Good to see RJ posting again.

Now then, let's get Mountain fixed up! As CBA #10, we have to help this mad man!

~snip~
Carver I'm always laughing at you and yes I heard your laugh today. speaking of laughing.

Via Spotwalla .... a couple of riders i'm following stopped at the same place last night. Sent one a text asking if he was going Brokeback-Rider on me. The response was priceless......

GREAT you're passing through Reno on your way back. This time we'll let you sleep on property, Hugs (but not Brokeback-rider hugs) to ya ...RJ

Status
Not open for further replies.