FJRForum Official 2015 Iron Butt Rally Tracking/Analysis thread

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
What a wonderful thread - really enjoyed following this.

The world is still a good place, friends. My faith in humanity is re-iterated.

It's been great flipping between here, ADV and the Ironbutt sites with the Spots to keep an eye on the rally. As much as everyone would like more exposure, it's pretty amazing how far the rally has come. I remember in years past I'd read the reports and results but not until days after the rally. With each rally the ability to watch it in near real time has gotten better and better.

I really, really appreciate the insight of the past participants. It adds a level understanding that you can't get from riding your own 50CCs and BBGs. Great site and members. Thanks for letting me tag along.

TdLpps posted: <snipped> I really, really appreciate the insight of the past participants. It adds a level understanding that you can't get from riding your own 50CCs and BBGs. Great site and members. Thanks for letting me tag along.
Special thanks to those who shared their insider's perspective. It's a different world when viewed through those eyes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Congrats to all riders who finished the Big Dance.

Thanks to Warchild for letting a bunch of lurkers play in the forum. and that to all who contributed to this thread

Now that the dance is done, how am I going to occupy my time?

Five of us attending the NT-Owners.org National Rally in Spearfish were stopped for lunch in Custer yesterday a few minutes before noon yesterday and I met Joe Green on his FJR as he was waiting for the left-turn light. He was on his way to Rushmore.

I had somehow gotten the time mixed up and thought the photo bonus was at 5PM. We got there at 3:50 and waited till 4:45 and left.

The guy I was rooting for was Jerome Byrd on hIs NT700V. He was at Santa Rosa, NM, 120 miles from the finish an hour and 45 minutes before the DNF time. Still there. Don't know what happened, but it's got to be heartbreaking for him.

The guy I was rooting for was Jerome Byrd on hIs NT700V. He was at Santa Rosa, NM, 120 miles from the finish an hour and 45 minutes before the DNF time. Still there. Don't know what happened, but it's got to be heartbreaking for him.
I think a friend of mine went out and picked him up, looks like his SPOT is moving now

Here's a comprehensive list of animation links. Each link will display the bonus locations. If you're not down with the bonus locations, change ito=Y to ito=N in the links below...

Leg One
https://spotwalla.com/animator.php?id=283&idt=1&ito=Y

Leg Two
https://spotwalla.com/animator.php?id=283&idt=2&ito=Y

Leg Three
https://spotwalla.com/animator.php?id=283&idt=3&ito=Y

The Entire Enchilada
https://spotwalla.com/animator.php?id=283&idt=L&ito=Y
This is really great. Thank you for that feature.

P.S. It would be even better if one could pause and play it.
smile.png
Now sometimes it is to fast.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think a friend of mine went out and picked him up, looks like his SPOT is moving now
The LD Rider List Reports indicate that Jerome bought a car battery at a Walmart Superstore in Amarillo, wired it with electrical tape and "tons" of duct tape to his bike and took off. He was making progress until he reached Santa Rosa with the car battery dead as well...

What a shame to be that close and not finish because of an electrical issue! I was rooting for everyone to finish and to finish safely, but I was rooting especially for Jerome Byrd and for Hammy Tan.

Found a little humor on Facebook...Chris Comly, on the Sportster, stopped on his way back to the barn to get a picture for his Tour of Honor ride while coming through Nebraska!

Way to go Chris!

So what happened to Josh Mountain's boots that they needed to be duct taped on?

I mean, understand that was to keep the soles on, but was there some mishap, or Fred Flintstone stop?

What a wonderful thread - really enjoyed following this.
The world is still a good place, friends. My faith in humanity is re-iterated.
Big thanks to Reno John for the count down timer.
TdLpps posted: <snipped> I really, really appreciate the insight of the past participants. It adds a level understanding that you can't get from riding your own 50CCs and BBGs. Great site and members. Thanks for letting me tag along.
Special thanks to those who shared their insider's perspective. It's a different world when viewed through those eyes.
Congrats to all riders who finished the Big Dance. Thanks to Warchild for letting a bunch of lurkers play in the forum. and that to all who contributed to this thread

Now that the dance is done, how am I going to occupy my time?
Once Again the folks who put this rally together did an outstanding job and gave us "armchair pilots" a lot more info than (release of all bonuses) we got in previous years. Kudos to you folks!

The riders......what can i say!! Absolutely above and beyond! I am in awe! Can't believe how you folks can keep going! Kudos to ALL!!

Spotwalla.....what can i say!! without this site......the IBR wouldn't be the same!! (As stated previously in this thread) The cost of one tank of fuel will be coming your way after i post this.

And the best for last........THE FJR FORUM!!! All of the info that flows through this thread is over the top! With the insight of seasoned IBR competitors, others(including myself) that are fascinated at this event, the guest that are made to feel welcome. Of course Twigg for his absolutely open heart for dropping what he was doing driving 200 miles one way and delivering his bike to a rider who he has never met....you my friend are salt of the earth!! Kudos to you!

Have enjoyed it all! Cant wait till 2017!!!

The LD Rider List Reports indicate that Jerome bought a car battery at a Walmart Superstore in Amarillo, wired it with electrical tape and "tons" of duct tape to his bike and took off. He was making progress until he reached Santa Rosa with the car battery dead as well...

What a shame to be that close and not finish because of an electrical issue! I was rooting for everyone to finish and to finish safely, but I was rooting especially for Jerome Byrd and for Hammy Tan.
Ouch. In 20-20 hindsight, shoulda bought 2 batteries. He made it farther than I would have thought with a store bought not fully charged battery.

This thread has been a wonderful help in following the rally. The insights from experienced LD riders made it especially interesting.

When I returned to riding, after a long drought while living and working Houston, I chose a Bonneville to regain experience before moving up to a touring bike. Being a Triumph rider I've been following the Trophy forums almost exclusively - with no small concern about the sparse dealer network and parts being sourced from overseas. Honestly I hadn't even considered an FJR. The friendship and rider support shown by the regulars in this forum has opened my eyes. After learning more about these bikes I have been checking prices on a '14 or '15 ES while waiting for the rollover in model years.

One thing that might tie a final bow around this thread would be a collection of links to web sites or blogs of FJR and other riders who participated in the rally. It would be interesting to read about their preparation and their experiences during the ride.

Regards

Status
Not open for further replies.