FJRForum Official 2015 Iron Butt Rally Tracking/Analysis thread

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Unlike

qkslver's Photoqkslver

05 Jul 2015

That is Chris McGaffin in the picture, however he has not contacted me yet so I ASSume there is no problem_? On a side note, there is a FD and shaft in my truck along with a stator and voltage regulator.

And yes Iggy my FJR is fast ask RJ. smile.png

Chris told me that his spot fell of but he had a spare. Said he called Lisa and she complimented him on a back up!!

Unlike

qkslver's Photoqkslver

05 Jul 2015

That is Chris McGaffin in the picture, however he has not contacted me yet so I ASSume there is no problem_? On a side note, there is a FD and shaft in my truck along with a stator and voltage regulator.

And yes Iggy my FJR is fast ask RJ. smile.png

Chris told me that his spot fell of but he had a spare. Said he called Lisa and she complimented him on a back up!!

At the risk of repeating myself, the daily reports are fantastic. I find myself getting sad when the slide bar no the right side of the window indicates that I'm nearing the end of it.

The two west of Memphis and still in Alabama haven't moved in quite a while, and both are dead center of the interstate. I've got to think they have had spot issues of some type. I sure hope that's what it is!

I wonder if the outliers turn off the SPOT to increase excitement for us viewers.

I've been working on projects all day and about 11:00 pm I sat down to check the IBR progress. I found two riders in Clarksville less than 30 mins south of me! I didn't expect anyone to get that close since the nearest spot is Ft Donnelson at Dover, TN, which didn't seem like it would bring anyone close.
It looked like at least one rider was at a hotel for the night, but the other was at a McDonalds. Probably a little silly, but I wanted to try to see one of the bikes. I made a couple quick notes of encouragement that I could put on their bikes just in case I found them.

I found the first pretty easily but the second rider probably turned his spot off at McD's so he wasn't tracked to the hotel.

I was wondering how I would know for sure that it was the IBR rider if I saw an LD bike, but the massive cockpit and gadgets on the Harley were a sure sign. The IBA plate didn't hurt either.
I'm guessing it's the Blue Beast of Drew Dill, see https://www.ironbuttrally.com/IBR/2015/Day2.pdfPretty bike.
Day 7 Report is up:
https://www.ironbuttrally.com/IBR/2015/Day7.pdf

Check the comments about the note left for Drew Dill !!!
Twigg beat me to the punch. Well done Goodman4!

From Chris's Day 7 Report:

Drew Dill: “There’s a huge street festival and they have all the roads blocked coming to the George

Rogers Clark and I had to walk about a half a mile to get that one. But, life is good. Loving the

2015 IBR. Thanks for all your support back there at IBA central.” His Big Blue Beast HD CVO is

going through oil every 1200 miles. He got beat up by bedbugs at a “no-tell motel.” He was

considering dropping out until he found a note of encouragement left on his seat. Head back in

the game, he’s moving forward. Such is Day 7 in the Iron Butt Rally.

Just got a message from Tony, 101stPathfinder. He's asking if anyone has a 550 or 590 in TN. That's ALL the message said. I'm thinking he's looking for a GPS because I know his was giving him trouble and he was depending on a borrowed one.
So anyone in TN have a GPS Tony can use??
I've got a 550 I'd be willing to FedEx. I'm in Washington State.

PM me with your contact info if you don't get a better offer.

Bob

Edit: Note to self, read all the posts before jumping in.

Last edited by a moderator:
From today's Call-In Bonus...

Marc Beaulac (from Jasper, Texas): “Dang it’s humid."

Uhhh.. Marc... Jasper is the home of the KKK in Texas and you're Canadian with a Mexican flag on the back of your bike.
icon_eek.gif

Made it to Kingsport with the grand kids. Heavy holiday traffic all the way from Chattanooga and lots of rain between 40/81 split and Kingsport.

No rain at the check point.

Will post pics of the "cheerleaders" when I have time to get to my Mac.

All the riders seem in good spirits, but of course these are folks who have checked in well before the penalties begin. Hahaha

Hey guys! Long time lurker/visitor - ever since I found out this was the place to be during the IBR. :) I'm a regular over on the ST Owners forum as I ride a '96 ST1100.

Thanks as always for letting us suck the bandwidth during the IBR every other year and for being part of such a cool community of fellow LD riders. If Honda doesn't get their act together with an update in the ST column I'll be spending a lot more time over here!

Finally took the plunge and created an account since I ended up making the Day 7 report and thought I'd fess up to being the civilian that rode a mile or two with David Walls ('04 FJR) today here in Indy. My side of the story over here:

https://www.st-owners.com/forums/showthread.php?146240-2015-Iron-Butt-Rally/page13

This connection was a bit tougher to make than a few years ago when I just walked a few blocks from my office to our state capitol building and said a quick hello to a few riders. :)

Nathan

IBA 45735

Welcome Nathan, and thanks for the "story"! I'm sure your notes of encouragement gave him a lift.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey guys! Long time lurker/visitor - ever since I found out this was the place to be during the IBR.
smile.png
I'm a regular over on the ST Owners forum as I ride a '96 ST1100.
Thanks as always for letting us suck the bandwidth during the IBR every other year and for being part of such a cool community of fellow LD riders. If Honda doesn't get their act together with an update in the ST column I'll be spending a lot more time over here!

Finally took the plunge and created an account since I ended up making the Day 7 report and thought I'd fess up to being the civilian that rode a mile or two with David Walls ('04 FJR) today here in Indy. My side of the story over here:

https://www.st-owners.com/forums/showthread.php?146240-2015-Iron-Butt-Rally/page13

This connection was a bit tougher to make than a few years ago when I just walked a few blocks from my office to our state capitol building and said a quick hello to a few riders.
smile.png

Nathan

IBA 45735
David Walls is a friend of mine, who has finished my Team Lyle Alamo rides twice, once for a BBG on his Harley and this year for a BBG1800+ on his Hayabusa.

I will make sure he sees your posts after the rally is over.

Thanks for encouraging the riders.

Doug

I saw his wife posted a comment on one of the photos of him over on the IB Mag FB page so I sent her a note through FB to let her know David looked pretty good when I saw him. It will land in her "Other" folder of course so thanks for making sure he sees this after he gets home!

Sidenote - if any of you guys head into Indy for MotoGP and need anything just let me know!

Status
Not open for further replies.