FJRForum Official 2017 Iron Butt Rally Tracking/Analysis Thread

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I just got a call from John Coons who is having charging issues with his Samsung S5 (Micro USB). He is wondering if any one that will be at the checkpoint can meet him with a new official Samsung wall charger (the one with the charger that plugs into the wall and a USB cable plugs into it). Apparently his charging port on the phone is a little wonky and is eating his USB cables. He prefers the official one that you can buy at a Verizon or AT&T store because somehow his phone knows and will charge faster with that cable. The generic one he is using now is charging but does not keep up. He doesn't actually need the wall charger piece, just the cable but I assume that will be hard to come by. If a wall charger can't be found he can also make the official cig light charger work.
He will pay for the charger via paypal once the rally is over.

Please send me a PM if you can help and I will connect you with John and his father Charlie.
Some awesome dude from Georgia with the forum handle Jesse put a post up on the official IBA site that he's willing to run errands. I just got off the phone with him and he has John covered. He also has instructions from Charlie to get John a fuel filter which has also been covered... John didn't tell me about that! What John is concerned about and what his dad/mechanic is concerned about is once again different things!

Jesse is also picking up some batteries for another rider for his TPMS.

He told me to tell anyone else that needs something to get in contact with him. here is the IBA forum thread to contact him or PM me your phone number and I'll get you in touch.

https://forum.ironbutt.org/index.php?threads/errand-boy-at-check-points.1500/

Weird about the finicky cable on the Samsungs but Kitty PM'd me John was right with a link to her facebook post about her cat liking to eat only the expensive official cables! Jesse said he has had similar experience minus the cat issue
smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Was it announced, as in the past, what the recommended minimum target point level is for Leg 1?
JEF

Cincinnati, OH
I've been told by riders the target for leg 1 is 10,000. I'd expect the people going for the win will come in about double that based on my memory of past events.

Have John Coons try cleaning out the charging port on the phone itself. Might not be the cord at all, but lint.

Paper clip will work, plus a quick spray of electrical contact cleaner if some is available.

Just repaired my crappy charging connection using this technique (I Phone).

CP1 is in Allen, TX, the northeastern corner of Metroplex, so folks coming from the north (a few) and northeast (a LOT) won't have to negotiate rush hour traffic.

Marriott Courtyard: 33.128107, -96.654666

Coming from the East or the North into Allen is the way to go if they hit rush hour - or any hour. Hot, tired, mostly fried it makes sense to give the coming congestion a wide berth. I'm already feeling for those Rally Riders approaching Ft. Worth from the West on I-20.

A few totally spurious facts about this year's field...

Count % Avg Age Min Age Max Age STD of Age Brand % of Field
Aprilia 1 0.9% 2006 2006 2006 BMW/Honda/Yamaha 81.3%
BMW 41 38.3% 2011 1994 2017 5.77 Other Marks 18.7%
Cagiva 1 0.9% 2000 2000 2000
Harley-Davidson 5 4.7% 2012 2006 2017
Honda 24 22.4% 2007 1977 2016 8.72
Kawasaki 6 5.6% 2009 2003 2012
Suzuki 2 1.9% 1991 1974 2008
Triumph 3 2.8% 2015 2014 2016
Victory 2 1.9% 2011 2009 2013
Yamaha 22 20.6% 2013 2005 2017 3.57

I am betting a few riders are going to be into the penalty window...but it looks like everyone should make it into the next leg...I don't see anybody outside the disqualification window at this time.

Thanks to Hud and the others for helping me get educated. Knowing this makes the cheering much more fun.
Now that I'm armed and dangerous with this new found knowledge, let me ask a couple more pointed questions:

1. What is the advantage of having more than 1 GPS? Do you leave GPS#1 always navigating on the next checkpoint to make sure you stay on overall schedule, and then perhaps GPS#2 is sending you to the next bonus?

2. The definition of Rest Bonus is not entirely clear to me. Is there a minimum amount of time per 24 hour period (or other) in which the motorcycle may not move? If so, what amount is that?

3. Are competitors required to submit photographs that prove bonuses or strings to the rallymaster as they take them, or at the checkpoint, or other? Are there safeguards in place to ensure nobody gets stupid with Photoshop?

4. If a competitor follows the rule whereby he renders aid to another rider or a member of the public in an emergency, and that causes him/her to miss the checkpoint time deadline, is he/her still disqualified?

5. Are rally teams competing for the same prize as individual riders? Do teams have to follow more strict rules?

6. Is the selection of the bonuses engineered such that it is impossible to grab them all? IOW - are there so many bonus point opportunities, that each rider has to develop/design their own ride/routes/stops/etc?

7. How to the riders determine where the bonus places are? For this years event, in which they are looking for roadside animal art, do they just pull out their phone, google it up, and hope for the best?

8. I can't see where there is a minimum amount of miles that need to be ridden, other than the shortest route from checkpoint to checkpoint. Why then is the odometer certification and other odometer related rules necessary? What am I missing? Is it to prove that the competitors actually rode the motorcycle to the various places (as opposed to throwing it on a trailer)?
I can answer all your questions one at a time if you PM me.

A few totally spurious facts about this year's field... <snip>
Great stuff, thanks for sharing. Yamaha riders, on whole, ...the riders have newer bikes, Honda riders, on whole the older bikes and the majority to BMW which bike age falls in the middle (of the dominant Manufs.)

I guess my interpretation is that Honda's last a long time and stick with the proven bike.

Yamaha riders like slow, being that the bike (FJR) has gained weight and got slower every years since 2003 ...I'm surprised riders are not opting for the proven IBR success of the Gen I & Gen II FJRs.

Flame away, numbers are numbers.

Thanks MNFJR05

..RJ

I am betting a few riders are going to be into the penalty window...but it looks like everyone should make it into the next leg...I don't see anybody outside the disqualification window at this time.
The real penalty for those riders that will complete Leg 1 in the penalty window is the angst they have expended worrying about what time they are going to get to the check point. Add the time it takes to decompress, prepare for scoring, get scored, and reset and regroup for Leg 2 and they are not sleeping and ready for the 4 am distribution of Leg 2 bonus list. I would rather be un-wound and asleep at 9pm for a nice 61/2 hours sleep. YRMV.

JEF

Cincinnati, OH

Well Reno,

There are only 2 Gen 1 FJRs in the rally. All the other FJR riders are on Gen 2&3 bikes. It shows up in the very tight standard deviation around the mean. The Honda distribution has a distinct longer left tail. Only 7 of the Hondas are 5 years old or newer. The BMWs are a right tail skewed distribution, 26 of those rides 5 years old or newer.

RenoJohn posted: Great stuff, thanks for sharing. Yamaha riders, on whole, ...the riders have newer bikes, Honda riders, on whole the older bikes and the majority to BMW which bike age falls in the middle (of the dominant Manufs.)
I guess my interpretation is that Honda's last a long time and stick with the proven bike.

Yamaha riders like slow, being that the bike (FJR) has gained weight and got slower every years since 2003 ...I'm surprised riders are not opting for the proven IBR success of the Gen I & Gen II FJRs.

Flame away, numbers are numbers.

Thanks MNFJR05

..RJ
Jeez. Did somebody leave the door open? All manner of varmints are starting to wander in ...
coolsmiley02.gif

While the horsepower-to-weight ratio is important for racing -- especially drag racing -- the IBR is about steady reliability. (Says me, who's never ridden in an IBR.) Hondas and Yamahas share a well-earned reputation for steady reliability.

I would think the FJR crowd has opted for a six-speed transmission to get slightly better gas mileage out of those 11.5-gallon fuel tanks, and maybe the reliability of a bike that hasn't already been subjected to 100,000 miles of vibration, heat, rain, and hooning through Hooterville.

That said, there are seven Gen1 and Gen2 FJRs that appear to be running mighty fine. (Please check my count!)

<edit, 3 mins later> ... and IBR staff has Spotwalla now, so they can tell if you're riding irresponsibly fast.

Many of your questions are covered in the rules on the linked page to the IBR and would encourage you to read through them because the rules are very specific and proscriptive. A I add on some information/opinion and/or may not be in the rules. Also, it can be said that some common principles learned when doing most any rally--not just the IBR.

1. What is the advantage of having more than 1 GPS? Do you leave GPS#1 always navigating on the next checkpoint to make sure you stay on overall schedule, and then perhaps GPS#2 is sending you to the next bonus?
One GPS has the main route or to the CP and is left fairly steady. It's the one you really watch to make sure you are going to the CP in time. The other GPS, besides being a backup if your first one fails, can be used to play "what-if" scenarios. What if I go to x, z, then y. What if I add in a & b? What if I skip x, take this interesting side road, and hit Topeka at 2 a.m. instead of 7 p.m.? If you decide something on the what-if GPS is worth it--you then change the main GPS. At least that's how I worked two GPS.

I also had two different model GPS set a bit differently. Sometimes the difference would be interesting and I'd make some route tweaks to my advantage as a result (e.g. that gravel road that my 470 like is actually quicker than the 590LM paved road)

2. The definition of Rest Bonus is not entirely clear to me. Is there a minimum amount of time per 24 hour period (or other) in which the motorcycle may not move? If so, what amount is that?
You get to a place and get a receipt. You have to get a receipt at the same place (or stamped with the same city) x hours later (typically 4-8 hour rest bonuses on sliding scales). You can move your motorcycle during the rest bonus, but why would you drive around town instead of going to a hotel and get sleep? Rest bonuses really are used (and cherished by riders) to get to sleep as quickly as you can. If I had a 8 hour rest bonus I'd probably get 6.5 hours sleep after getting checked in, quick shower, eat something, go to sleep. On the other end I'd look over my route on the laptop and get back on the bike shortly after the 8 hours for a receipt.

3. Are competitors required to submit photographs that prove bonuses or strings to the rallymaster as they take them, or at the checkpoint, or other? Are there safeguards in place to ensure nobody gets stupid with Photoshop?
Yes, with a provided rally flag according to directions of the bonus. There are safeguards in place to reduce Photoshop shenanigans. I've never heard it EVER being an actual thing before.

4. If a competitor follows the rule whereby he renders aid to another rider or a member of the public in an emergency, and that causes him/her to miss the checkpoint time deadline, is he/her still disqualified?
Covered in detail in the rules.

5. Are rally teams competing for the same prize as individual riders? Do teams have to follow more strict rules?
Rules are more strict for teams and two-up riders and covered in detail in the rules.

6. Is the selection of the bonuses engineered such that it is impossible to grab them all? IOW - are there so many bonus point opportunities, that each rider has to develop/design their own ride/routes/stops/etc?
Yes, it's impossible...by many factors. My experience has been 10-25% are gettable. If this rally has the same list for all three legs...maybe they'll get a higher percentage, but still never get them all. Only one rally in my life did I nearly sweep the table of available bonuses. A Utah 1088 I rode "the alternate route" and got all but one from my list...and surprised the rally master. It was like eating the whole buffet, but leaving one shrimp, burping, and saying, "I'm full now."

7. How to the riders determine where the bonus places are? For this years event, in which they are looking for roadside animal art, do they just pull out their phone, google it up, and hope for the best?
The receive specific GPS coordinates on a thumb drive that are VERY VERY close to the thing you need to photograph. The IBR coordinates have always been impeccable. They double and triple check them as well as QC their rally packs.

8. I can't see where there is a minimum amount of miles that need to be ridden, other than the shortest route from checkpoint to checkpoint. Why then is the odometer certification and other odometer related rules necessary? What am I missing? Is it to prove that the competitors actually rode the motorcycle to the various places (as opposed to throwing it on a trailer)?
No minimum miles. In about 2007 or 2009 they instituted a minimum point to be a finisher. Odometer readings are important for validation of riding routes claimed sometimes, but also an interesting data point to see which people rode harder vs. smarter.

2008 Bergman is the other Suzuki...
Ha,Two Susuki's, one is a 43 year old 4cycliner 2stroke and the other is a 9 year old scooter. That doesn't say much for Zuk's sport touring line-up. It'll be interesting to see (percentage wise) how these two bikes fair against the Gen III.

One should remember when computing miles from CP and time left, that SPOT can be set up on a programmed delay.This may be the case in the rally. This is to protect the riders.
Hmm....this is a new discovery for me. How does this work? Probably a PM conversation.

Status
Not open for further replies.