FJRForum Official 2017 Iron Butt Rally Tracking/Analysis Thread

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
When does tech inspection start?
Officially, tomorrow morning at 7:45 but Warchild is/was doing some pre inspections for rookies and anyone else nervous about their fuel cell this morning with the rally scribe and photographer in tow!

I made it down to rally central this morning to meet a few of the riders and wish them luck in their upcoming adventure. There are a few of our FJR brethren already on site. One of our esteemed riders showed up to the rally on an FJR with a less than optimal rear shock residing in the rear suspension. After a short trip to the MNFJR05 garage our competitor is ready to rally with a new Gen3 shock installed that was lying around collecting dust in my garage attic. The shock we removed was spring only. The dampening was completely gone.

There are some interesting bikes entered...someone is going to try and make it on a GT750 triple...The Water Buffalo for those of you in the know...I will try and take a few pics tomorrow at tech and get a few pics and a little report up here for those following along...

One of our esteemed riders showed up to the rally on an FJR with a less than optimal rear shock residing in the rear suspension. After a short trip to the MNFJR05 garage our competitor is ready to rally with a new Gen3 shock installed that was lying around collecting dust in my garage attic. The shock we removed was spring only. The dampening was completely gone.
Nice work!

There are some interesting bikes entered...someone is going to try and make it on a GT750 triple...The Water Buffalo for those of you in the know...I will try and take a few pics tomorrow at tech and get a few pics and a little report up here for those following along...
I did a pre-inspection of that Suzuki GT750.... the bike has quite a history on it. And it must be a reasonably tough bike, the owner has taken it up the Haul Road successfully in the past.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm just curious to know if there is gonna be a dude on a bridge with pom-poms again.
Sounds like a niche custom-made for ya, Andy.
Thanks! I do have the legs for it, if I may say so myself.
But do you have the pom poms?
tongue.png

I have seen Allen and NW Dallas for the check points. Which location is correct?

Thanks!

Pretty cool that this years rally is my backyard. Going to take some time off from work to watch the start in person. Even looks like I'll make some time to go down tomorrow and look at some of the bikes and maybe if I'm lucky, I'll get to witness Warchild grill some poor soul at inspection.

MNFJR05: There are some interesting bikes entered...someone is going to try and make it on a GT750 triple...The Water Buffalo for those of you in the know...I will try and take a few pics tomorrow at tech and get a few pics and a little report up here for those following along...

Warchild: I did a pre-inspection of that Suzuki GT750.... the bike has quite a history on it. And it must be a reasonably tough bike, the owner has taken it up the Haul Road successfully in the past.

2DFlier: Equally tough pilot I imagine. If I recall today's write up the rider is an IBR rookie.

Edited to clean up a failed mobile device reply...

The Buffalo....its in beautiful shape....well maintained....well see how she looks after 11 days...
IMG_20170623_112814_zps3lpwaf7h.jpg
Knobbys on it and dust socks on the forks. Looks like he will not be afraid to take it off the road if needed to get points!

Status
Not open for further replies.