FJRForum Official 2017 Iron Butt Rally Tracking/Analysis Thread

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Awesome, thanks Warchild and IBR staff. My wife is dreading the amount of time I will be spending on it.

good to see all that were not withdrawn made it to the barn safely. Thanks to WC for the rally book. It is a work of art!

Picture of the Newfoundland 5 I received in the past several hours. Wondeful picture of some talent, determination, and facial growth.
19820950_10213117671197214_45897198_o.jpg
Subjective to the eye of the beholder, but who looks the least tired?
biggrin.png
They all look pretty well rested.
ALL 5 of them have more skills in their finger nails than I'll ever possess.

As this IBR comes to a close, I'd like to thank the IBR vets for offering their experiences and insights during the last 11 days, and to our guests who came here just for the IBR coverage, I hope you enjoyed it and hopefully we'll see you again in less than 2 years!

But now I have a very important question: what in the hell am I gonna do at work now that the IBR is done?? I mean, seriously...

This unbelievable story re: John Kerr from over at Adventure Rider ... https://advrider.com/index.php?threads/2017-iron-butt-rally-thread.1234257/page-46

"Jon was not bothered by two deers strikes, the destruction of his motorcycle, and breaking his leg. He simply bought another bike, strapped the crutches on back as shown and proceeded. When people see him get off the bike and grab his crutches, he simply says "What can I say? I like to ride!" Jon was already one of our favorite people. He has moved up!"

[​IMG]

The photo was of the 2003 FJR he bought as a replacement bike ... With the crutches strapped on the back!

At the banquet the night before the start..
Holy Crap! So no sleep starts before the first day, these people are impressive...
I wouldn't characterize it that way. Nobody wins a rally in Leg 1 and I bet most got fairly good sleep actually.
I've never ridden a rally where we didn't either get the bonuses the night before, or the morning of the rally. It wasn't until recently that I found out there are rallies where the bonuses are sent to the riders days or weeks in advance.

I would like to thanks all the folks that posted in the forums from past experience to speculation or just a tidbit of info.

I would also like to thank all the rally staff, Mike, Lisa and all the volunteers who without them this would not be possible.

And last but not least all the riders for keeping us arm chair ralliers glued to our computers over the last 2 weeks. It has been awesome hearing all the stories that have come back to get posted either in the daily reports or on the forums.

I would also be remiss if I didn’t thank John Harrison (IBR Scribe for 2017) for all the great reports and commentary since T minus 3 until the up and coming final report and also I hope the epilog that has been written for past rallies.

Thanks again to all, Have a safe ride home and will go back into lurking mode in the next few days and see you all again in 2019.

Sincerely,

Warren A Meinzer

Frankfort, NY

IBA#27114

Picture of the Newfoundland 5 I received in the past several hours. Wondeful picture of some talent, determination, and facial growth.
[img=[URL="https://mattwatkins.org/blog1/wp-content/uploads/2017/07/19820950_10213117671197214_45897198_o.jpg%5D"]https://mattwatkins.org/blog1/wp-content/uploads/2017/07/19820950_10213117671197214_45897198_o.jpg][/URL]
Since I haven't met them (yet) will someone please identify the "Newfoundland 5" for me? I'd like to be able to put a face to my new heroes and heroine. Left to right please.

Since I haven't met them (yet) will someone please identify the "Newfoundland 5" for me? I'd like to be able to put a face to my new heroes and heroine. Left to right please.
I'm sure someone more knowledgeable than me will be along shortly to correct this, but here's my guesses:

Jim Owens

Wendy Crockett

Kevin Epps

Unknown

Ken Meese

[img=[URL="https://mattwatkins.org/blog1/wp-content/uploads/2017/07/19820950_10213117671197214_45897198_o.jpg%5D"]https://mattwatkins.org/blog1/wp-content/uploads/2017/07/19820950_10213117671197214_45897198_o.jpg][/URL]
BMW, FJR Gen1, FJR Gen2, BMW, BMW

There are no Gen3 pilots in this picture. (no surprise)

I believe the picture order is Jim Owens, Wendy Crockett, Erik Lipps, Bob Liley and Ken Meese. I only know Wendy and Erik so I Amy be wrong in the order of the other 3

I only know 4 out of the 5. Jim Owens, Wendy Crockett, Erik Lipps, (don't know Bob Lilley), and Ken Meese.

I enjoyed following this thread. It's hard for me to understand what all this is about. But Iggy's post about the night before the end was insightful.

I still don't get it.................

............ but I get it.

I believe the picture order is Jim Owens, Wendy Crockett, Erik Lipps, Bob Liley and Ken Meese. I only know Wendy and Erik so I Amy be wrong in the order of the other 3
That's the correct order and people from left to right looking at the picture.

I enjoyed following this thread. It's hard for me to understand what all this is about. But Iggy's post about the night before the end was insightful.
I still don't get it.................

............ but I get it.
I get it.

I just can't do it.

But wish I could.

Status
Not open for further replies.