FJRForum Official 2019 Iron Butt Rally Tracking/Analysis Thread

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just wondering if the the Dirty Shame in the Yaak in Northwest Montana is a bonus ....
I've been assuming so. The riders are definitely going to Yaak. The Dirty Shame was a bonus in the GBU rally.
One that many riders, including the puzzle master of this event, went to as well. :)

I hope the douches at the salt Lake HD get that rider going. What kind of miserable human beings wouldn't try to be more help than that?

My volunteer services as a person living by the Check Point have started to kick into overdrive. A summary of some of the little things that mark how today is going to be VERY busy:

• In the report a reference to Maura Gatensby's person she was bringing in the event to help change both front and rear on an ST1300 that take a bit of time to change....center punched a deer. She's arranged another person to come, I've promised to help, and I think half the people at the CP will be there to help her at 6 p.m. That's how this group rolls.
  • I got an e-mail from a two-up couple that have had Sena 20S failures yesterday and wanted me to go buy them new ones overnight..and reimburse me. I checked Revzilla and gulped $500 plus whatever shipping might have been. I coindentally have my own pair of Sena 20s and offered to loan them to them for the event. They were happy.
  • Rally staff asked if I had a spare HDMI cable at home...and I do.
  • I spotted on a local FB group for BMW riders that John Coons was having brake pad issues that they've mitigated by using the rear tire brake more. They may need help changing a tire..which is possible since a local IBR finisher, Rusty Bachman, and general boyscout/McGyver is bringing his trailer and tire changer to the parking lot.
  • And in the human-interest camp I had the opportunity to have dinner with Ira Agins last night. He and I literally went across the street to the shopping mall food court, had seafood from Ivars, and had the most wonderful conversation about the basic kindness of strangers and the personal benefits of world travel. Ira worked at Los Alamos for much of a career which intersects my career at Hanford nearby. And the stories he had about old salts like Gary Eagan, Ron Ayres, etc.
And it's before 8 a.m. local time. I"m sure there will be more as the day wears on.

Meanwhile, you can almost hear the riders as they buzz around the Tri-Cities at bonuses that eagle-eyed watchers have probably identified on FJRForum, on FB, and ADVRider. Many have figured out that when a rider flashes green...something of note in the rider's mind happened for them to push the button on their transmitters. It looks like Hurricane Ridge in NW Washington, Yaak, MT, Elk Mountain, ID, and a particularity fun road I know about in Oregon through places like Sumpter and Izee are in play. One has to be careful on the most latter though. I've ridden through there three time and TWICE I've ran into a cattle drive. And once I even helped.

As the day moves on the desire and urgency of riders to get to 46.217642, -119.219720 will become more urgent. And we'll have the porch light on for them.

Matt Watkins

IBA #332

Yeah, I'm starting to feel a twinge of concern for the riders in Las Vegas and Cheyenne. Hate to see them lose time penalty points so early in the rally.

It's very cool to see 3 spots in the Puget Sound water, well actually on the ferry. The Ridge is going to be busy today. Sure wish I had the dang day off. Piss poor planing on my part.

Ride safe Riders!

Yeah, I'm starting to feel a twinge of concern for the riders in Las Vegas and Cheyenne. Hate to see them lose time penalty points so early in the rally.
I think the guy in Laramie and the two north of Las Vegas are gonna be late.

Posted as yours popped up.

Laramie to Kennewick is 975 miles. He's gonna have to ride really really fast to stay out of the penalty.

Alamo, NV to Kennewick is 815 miles. Is that possible in 11 1/2 hours?

Last edited by a moderator:
Just wondering if the the Dirty Shame in the Yaak in Northwest Montana is a bonus ....
I've been assuming so. The riders are definitely going to Yaak. The Dirty Shame was a bonus in the GBU rally.
Hmmm....so, how many riders in the GBU actually went for The Dirty Shame bonus??

Maybe "The Road Less Traveled" is referring to bonus locations from other rallies that didn't get many people going for them ???????

That would explain some more popular tourist locations being named as bonus location for a "Less Traveled" themed rally.

I've seen quite a few make the trek up to Yaak to collect the "World Famous Dirty Shame Saloon" bonus. At least I assume that's what they are after since they stop there.

I hope the douches at the salt Lake HD get that rider going. What kind of miserable human beings wouldn't try to be more help than that?
Harley dealers in general are among the best in getting traveling riders back on the road reasonably. And in most cases, a next day repair would be considered reasonable.

I had a dealer bring in a tech on a Sunday to change a flat tire on my Buell when I was stuck in Sioux Falls late Saturday during the MN2010 48 hour rally. I DNF'ed the rally because of the tire, but I was able to be home to go to work that Monday.

They're going to help a rider get on the road in a timely manner like they would any other rider. But it is not their responsibility to make sure that a rider in the Iron Butt Rally makes a checkpoint on time.

Alamo, NV to Kennewick is 815 miles. Is that possible in 11 1/2 hours?
Yes. Alamo is home to the annual Alamo Express Rally. Alamo was chosen specifically for it's fast and lightly traveled roads. I-84 in Idaho is posted at 80 mph. While the speeds drop in Oregon it's lightly patrolled and you can still make very good time.

Spotwalla is still showing someone at a Harley Dealer on the south edge of Salt Lake City. It would be 1030a there, plus the built in spot delay. Keeping an eye on that for sure...

For a couple of the outliers, I don't see any sense of urgency. Dude north of Las Vegas is still running squiggly roads (compared to the alternatives available). He may be trying to cut the triangle at Sacramento or even Redding, but surely that is wasting valuable time.

Is it possible that he is conceding the penalty points for a late arrival, but snagging as many tags in route to lessen the pain? Would overall scoring work better that way for the stragglers?

I believe in the past some riders have figured out that the penalty points for arriving late could be offset by the right bonuses. It's a risky move but the winners are the ones who can weigh the risks and make the right decisions.I'm not much of a gambler and would be nervous beyond belief taking those kinds of chances. I guess that's why I'm content being mid-pack on the rallies I take part in.

^^^^ What he said. Without the rally pack (bonus list) we're guessing about locations, point values, and penalties.

Don't IBR rules require check-in by a certain time to avoid collecting an automatic DSQ? Same 'drop dead' concept for reporting to the scorer's table, right?

(Riders are allowed to check in, then take some time to collect their wits before reporting to the scoring table with their bonus photos or objects.)

<edited, after actually reading the 2019 rules ... >

Riders must report to the scorer's table within one hour after check-in.

Late-to-check-in penalty is ... "1% of the arrival points for the leg per minute, rounded to the next higher minute, until such time as the checkpoint closes. For example, if the arrival points for a particular leg are 1,000, there will be a 10 point per minute penalty for late arrival. (For riders who are more than 100 minutes late, the penalty points will exceed the arrival points.)"

Arrival after late-check-in window closes (typically two hours after it opens): barred from subsequent legs, and will not be considered a finisher.

You can't win the rally on the first leg, but you can lose it.

Historically, points on later legs are worth more than points on Leg one. Additionally, it's a long rally; keeping something in reserve for Day 10 isn't a bad idea. Pushing your luck and your limits on the first leg is for rookies and Big Dogs!

I believe I saw penalty points start at 8:00 pm and DNF is anything after 10:00 pm but don't hold me to it. What rallies I have done, 31 hour variants, there is usually a "hard stop" time after which you will be very sad.

HUZZAH! UPDATE!!!

Salt Lake City Dude is on the move - no longer shown at the dealer location. Finally! He's got some 8 hours to make the 8pm goal assuming about 20-30 minute spot delay. Google says 623 miles. Looks to be running north up I-15. Go buddy go!!!

For a couple of the outliers, I don't see any sense of urgency. Dude north of Las Vegas is still running squiggly roads (compared to the alternatives available). He may be trying to cut the triangle at Sacramento or even Redding, but surely that is wasting valuable time.
Is it possible that he is conceding the penalty points for a late arrival, but snagging as many tags in route to lessen the pain? Would overall scoring work better that way for the stragglers?
Hard to tell without the bonus listing if it is worth it to be late. At 10 points per minute, you can lose 1200 points before being DQ'ed. If you can score more than that, then it is worth it, but risky if you hit an unforeseen delay. Google maps tells me the rider near Ely needs about 10 hours to get to Kennewick (straight up 93 to Twin Falls, then I84). If the CP time is PDT he might make it. If it is Eastern, I think (s)he is in trouble.
edit: I see others beat me to this answer by quite a bit. Browser didn't update, so didn't see the responses until after I posted. I'll go sit in the corner now...

Status
Not open for further replies.