FJRs, Harleys, and the Beartooth

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Terry J

Reaction score
The Beartooth and Chief Joseph Highways are right in my back yard, about an hour away. I ran the Beartooth on my '08 FJR about six or eight times over the last two summers.

08fjr09-vi.jpg

It was a swoopy little mother and a ton of fun to run on all those curves. But it was never comfortable. I've got banged up knees and I never could find a way to ease the discomfort. Then my wife, who doesn't have bad knees, complained about the back seat, too. No matter what I did, I could not find a way to make that bike comfortable for me or for her.

A month ago, she wanted to go up the Beartooth, but didn't think she could handle 270 miles on the FJR. So we rented a Harley Ultra. The 2009s are amazing. It looks like last year's Harley, but the difference in handling is stunning. It was fun to ride, it handled like a dream, and it was all-day comfortable.

09king-vi.jpg

So the FJR has gone bye-bye. I traded it on an '09 Road King. It has half the horsepower, but I never got the FJR over 5,000 rpm anyway, so I never used it. Both my wife and I are really happy with this FL and think it'll see lots of use. I put a thousand miles on it the first two weeks after I bought it hitting every back road within 200 miles--including the Beartooth.

One of the Harley techs saw the FJR sitting next to their shop the day I brought it in, and he bought it. He says it's the most comfortable sport bike he's ever ridden.

So I guess we're both happy. The FJR is a fabulous motorcycle, and I'll miss it. But it just didn't fit.

Sometimes you just have to admit that you bought the wrong one.

See ya out there, maybe...

Terry J

I’ve put around 500 miles on my father-in-laws Heritage Softail, another 1,000 on his 883 Sportster but still fell in love with the FJR as soon as I sat on one. Glad you found a bike you both can enjoy. As long as you’re on two wheels and having a good time, it’s all good IMO.

The Beartooth and Chief Joseph Highways are right in my back yard, about an hour away. I ran the Beartooth on my '08 FJR about six or eight times over the last two summers.
08fjr09-vi.jpg

It was a swoopy little mother and a ton of fun to run on all those curves. But it was never comfortable. I've got banged up knees and I never could find a way to ease the discomfort. Then my wife, who doesn't have bad knees, complained about the back seat, too. No matter what I did, I could not find a way to make that bike comfortable for me or for her.

A month ago, she wanted to go up the Beartooth, but didn't think she could handle 270 miles on the FJR. So we rented a Harley Ultra. The 2009s are amazing. It looks like last year's Harley, but the difference in handling is stunning. It was fun to ride, it handled like a dream, and it was all-day comfortable.

09king-vi.jpg

So the FJR has gone bye-bye. I traded it on an '09 Road King. It has half the horsepower, but I never got the FJR over 5,000 rpm anyway, so I never used it. Both my wife and I are really happy with this FL and think it'll see lots of use. I put a thousand miles on it the first two weeks after I bought it hitting every back road within 200 miles--including the Beartooth.

One of the Harley techs saw the FJR sitting next to their shop the day I brought it in, and he bought it. He says it's the most comfortable sport bike he's ever ridden.

So I guess we're both happy. The FJR is a fabulous motorcycle, and I'll miss it. But it just didn't fit.

Sometimes you just have to admit that you bought the wrong one.

See ya out there, maybe...

Terry J
Glad you made the decision that works for you... If the truth be known, many FJR riders have second and third bikes. I include myself in that comment. When I want to go out for an easy fun ride, I take the cover off my big old Kawasaki Vulcan that if fuel injected and shaft driven and I have a blast. Each bike is different and I ride them accordingly. I am happy you found the right combination for your riding style. Personally mine changes from time to time. Even J.B. used to own a Harley! Good luck... Rich

P.S. I will again be riding Beartooth in about three weeks.

Last edited by a moderator:
i have a GL1500 I use for 2-up cross country. it handles like a pig and gets terrible mileage but for 2 up long distance it's much superior to the FJR.

I commute on my FJR and ride it more than all my other bikes put together. If I had to own only one bike it'd be the FJR.

I'm on a road trip in Montana and Wyoming as I write this and it's laughable how many Harley wanna-be's are TRAILERING their bikes to Sturgis.

A riding buddy traded in his Gold WIng two years ago for a Harley Road King and really likes it. this guy could care less about the whole "Harley" thing, he just likes it cuz its a good motorcycle (more comfortable than his GL1500 in his opinion!) and has enough power to suit him.

To each his own, I guess.

Yea, I have to have a Harley for the wife and the FJR for me. We went to the Grand Canyon last month on the Heritage and I'm going to Deals Gap next week on the FJR. I'v got a couple of customers to see on the way so I'll have about a 2K trip by the time I get back to St. Louis. I love them both.

Terry J: Very glad that you're happy with your new ride and thanks for the report on the new 2009 Harley-Davidson chassis.

Dr. Rich is correct, many of us here have other bikes in our stables to suit other riding needs. Besides my FJR and 3 BMW's I also own a Twin Cam 88 FXD. There are just some rides I feel like riding aboard my Harley instead of my FJR or BMW's.

where did you get the back rest for the stock seat? How is it mounted? Congrats on the bike! My other bike is a 2008 Ducati 1098........... rocket ship

Even though we give each other crap about what we ride it is not about that, it is about the ride itself.

Good to know you are still in the game. Many happy miles to you and the Mrs.

NOW, BAN HIM. :ph34r:

Darn ,,, it's Friday and when I opened this I figured it was another Harley bashing post.... Oh Well....

Terry ,, glad you found a bike that is comfortable and you like ...

Guess that's why they make so many styles of bikes,,,,

Enjoy the ride ,, be safe ,,, :yahoo: :yahoo:

Driving from San Antonio back to DFW a few days ago. In Austin gassing up, met a couple of Harley riders. We talked for a minute, and found we were all heading in the same direction. They asked if I wanted to "tag along" and I said sure, I'll tag along. :devil:

We cruised at over 100 for damn near 200 miles and they didn't give an inch. I've never owned a Harley, but I developed a little respect for them that day. I'm not interested in getting rid of the FJR, but I can't say anything bad about the HD's.

Congratulations, and enjoy!

My other bike in the garage is a cruiser. Well, a power cruiser. When I just want to putt around the neigborhood or drive to work I drag out the old Vmax. Doesn't have near the acceleration of the FJR. (NOT!) :p Fun to ride, but the FJR is my long distance bike until I'm ready for the rocking chair. (Goldwing) Hopefully that's a long time away.

GP

Terry J [SIZE=36pt]You'll be back![/SIZE]

So you have gone to the dark side, Eh.

[SIZE=12pt]Good luck with the new ride.[/SIZE]

Congrats on the new ride, and glad it suits you and your needs....

I Love my FJR to no end.... I give rides to the she-devils all the time, and I get tons of compliments on how nice it is, some girls love to go fast, some are just Bike Snobs and need to follow the cult of riding on a Harley...

A girl friend of mine owns a Harley Heritage and the first time I drove it I found I was in love with the dam recliner on wheels... :D Also rented a heritage when I was in Miami for a day long trip to the keys, it was a pleasure - though they are all lacking in HP compared to the FJR..... I need the speed....

It has made me learn that I will be adding some sort of cruiser to my garage to have both.... Can't have enough toys in the garage IMO...

Now if I could just buy the perfect woman.... :eek:

I have yet to get married at 41, raised my son alone for 15 years....

My father always told me....

[SIZE=18pt]Why make one woman miserable when you can make 10 very happy... :D [/SIZE]

...It has half the horsepower, but I never got the FJR over 5,000 rpm anyway, so I never used it...
Terry J

Harley dude in my office was of the opinion that my FJR under about 5K RPM and his HD were very comparable in performance (lots of low-end grunt) and similar in comfort (he thought his HD had a very slight edge there). So, if you're gonna ride the FJR like an HD anyhow, you may as well go for whichever is most comfortable or floats your boat the most.

Good on ya, Terry. Good luck to you and yours with the new ride.

I have a 2001 Valkyrie Interstate. Sometimes its the bike of choice when you want to take things at a different pace.

Im000140c-vi.jpg

It's a free country (at least for awhile longer) ride what you like. I just sold my Ultra to buy the FJR couldn't

ride the Ultra far it killed my lower back but the position of the FJR keeps me from hunching over and I can ride it

much further. :yahoo:

Be safe!