FJR's In The 2005 Iron Butt Rally

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The big storm in the SE didn't help anyone not geting it done on the first day getting what ever points in Key West.

rogerfjrfaster :D

Looks like we've had a slight FJR1300 mishap!

Rick Martin was evidently taking a Combat Nap at an Iron Butt Motel somewhere, and the kickstand must have sunk into the turf or something, because its reported that the bike toppled over on him.

He evidently wasn't injured (at least, not badly enough to stop), and he is continuing onward. Hope I see him at the Finish Line the day after tomorrow.... I'm sure I will; Rick is a tough old bird.....

Well, I'm on the road to Denver in a few hours.... talk to youse guys next Sunday....

Last edited by a moderator:
Happened to catch one of the FJRs passing through Boise westbound on I-84 about 3 pm MST on 8/31. Not sure who it is,---but a 2005 blue man, New York plates. He got thru town in good shape, prior to any rush hour delays. I followed along for about 10 minutes, very solid rider, nothing crazy, stretching his legs quite a bit. On his way to the coast for a big bonus tally no doubt.

FJR iron

Good luck, fella!

Rick Martin was evidently taking a Combat Nap at an Iron Butt Motel somewhere, and the kickstand must have sunk into the turf or something, because its reported that the bike toppled over on him.
Or he threw himself under the bike for the save. :)

All the people that might report are not at home where they have great Internet access. They're in Denver where they'd have to pay huges sums of money to type on cheesy computers attached to their hotel room TV.

I'd call them, but the ones I know are conspicuously without cell phones (e.g. Warchild).

I believe we're now in a defacto new blackout for the next few hours.....as all the newsmakers are in the parking lot kibitizing with the road weary riders.

All the people that might report are not at home where they have great Internet access. They're in Denver where they'd have to pay huges sums of money to type on cheesy computers attached to their hotel room TV.
Oh, come on, even in Denver, I'm sure there's enough 802.11 spots. :D

Anyone know of any IBR blog?

A photo of the top ten is posted HERE the winner made a huge jump from the leg 2 standings on an unexpected brand.

The leg 3 scores are posted HERE

even though it says that's it's only leg 2 results.

Looks like the big bonii were on the east coast with a treasure trove of points.

Hell of a ride.

[SIZE=21pt][/SIZE]

10…Peter Hoogeveen… 12,065…93,684

18…Tom Melchild……………10,023…87,014

21…Bob St George…………10,151…86,650

24…Dean Tanji…………………11,346…86,374

26…Harry Kaplan……………12,193…85,453

29…George Zelenz…………10,997…84,448

31…John Ferber………………12,142…83,968

37…Rick Martin………………11,303…81,458

43…Doug Chapman……………11,831…79,372

60…Tobie Stevens…………9,973……64,425

DNF…Andy Mills………………7,919……39,542

From Bob Higdon's report: "Andy Mills, one of the Minnesota Crew... was not at the banquet tonight. Last night his bike went down on I-80 in Wyoming after hitting a tire carcass. Fortunately --- this rally has been absolutely blessed with good fortune --- Andy was not hurt. I was thinking of him tonight as the names of the finishers were called out. The remains of a truck tire on a dark night kept Mills from a top ten finish."

Condolences for the misfortune, Andy. But a personal breath of relief that you weren't hurt.

A hearty round of applause for each of the above (and all of the riders) for hard-fought rally in what, to some, may have been one of the most challengingly designed IBRs in recent memory.

btw: leg 3 score cards are temporarily at: https://www.ironbutt.com/ibr/2005/3.html until they can be moved to their final location.

It's gonna be real tough to face the ST1300 crowd, though.  :bleh:
Not at all. Look at the number of ST1300's that finished compared to the number of FJRs. :haha:

Look at the past finishes of the ST1300 rider that won. Barring failures and obvious things like ancient or underpowered bikes, it's the rider (not the bike).

"user posted image"?  :blink:
Fuckit, post deleted for now. Silly-ass webshots.com has code to disrupt outside linking. Oh, well.... I'll repost later....

OK, I copied the photos to another server, so here we go.... from the Finish Line:

HMarc and I (left), listen to 3rd Place finisher Jeff Earls (white hat) as Brian Roberts (sling) looks on. Brian crashed out on Leg One, totalling his V-Strom:

1.jpg

The Top Finishing FJR rider, Peter Hoovegeen, prepares his final leg bonus documentation prior to heading to the Scoring Table:

2.jpg

My LD student, George Zelenz, joins Peter in preparing his documentation for the final Leg. George had a massive ride on that final leg, pulling himself up in the standings considerably for 29th Place finish.

3.jpg

FJR rider Bob St. George looks just a wee bit tired after his final leg. Bob finished tied for points for 20th Place.

4.jpg

The madhouse at the Finish Line. Working over the trash can container for all the cold six-packs riders had to bring to the Finish Line are Doug Chapman (blue ballcap) and Eric Vaillancourt (black shirt):

5.jpg

HMarc checks in 8th Place finisher Eric Jewell:

6.jpg

Eric Vaillancourt hooks up the Winner of this year's IBR, Shane Smith, with a cool one at the Finish Line:

7.jpg

In this photo, a very animated George Zelenz describes to me how the Tourtech mount for his GPS broke while he was underway at speed. Fortunately, George was able to catch it before it tumbled on the asphalt at 70mph!

8.jpg

Another shot of George Zelenz (back to camera) describing his adventure to Eric Vaillancourt as fellow FJR pilots Ed Grant (blue hat) and Roger Van Santen (black hat) look on.

9.jpg

very nice photos great job warman . questions is what do most of the riders do for a living . middle income, upper income . i really did not no about this super long distance stuff before i owned the yamaha. so some of the riders need to be well off or have jobs will a hell of alot of vacation time .