FJRTom's Farkled 2008

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
looks great! How big a difference did the motolights make? They are pricey and want to know more before I put them on!

Good job! The only problen is, is that I can't stand there and look and ask question's as i'm a newbe.

looks great! How big a difference did the motolights make? They are pricey and want to know more before I put them on!
I'll let you know when I have had a chance to rack up some night mileage. So far, they look cool in daylight, but that's about all I know...plus they came highly recommended elsewhere. Who knows?

Great looking bike and upgrades. Watch the tankbag though. I have the same one and had the rear rubber handle drop down enough to sit on the tank...which I didn't notice and it rubbed a place on my tank. I was able to get almost all of it out but its something to watch for.

Gary

Better get fuel soon..... :D . Looks great, congrats on a nice ride. How do you like the motolights?
My bad hasn't reset yet.....
I'm a big fan of MotoLights. Not only do they make me more visible, but they enhance my (rare) nighttime driving. I'll never drive without 'em!

Sweet Ride Tom. Many safe miles may you travel. Did you also install satellite radio?
I have the GXM-30 antenna that hooks to the Zumo and provides both weather and XM radio. I am a pilot and airplane owner -- 1977 Cessna 180 -- and the GXM-30 I already had as a part of my Garmin GPSMAP 396 that I use in the plane. It is easy to switch it back and forth between the bike and the plane. The subscriptions (weather and XM) are associated with this "smart" antenna, not with the GPS unit itself.

I am a little disappointed in the weather I get on the Zumo vs. the 396. On the 396, in addition to METARs, TAFs, winds aloft, freezing levels, etc., I also get close-to-real-time Nexrad radar images of precipitation. Not so when hooked to the Zumo. Instead, I get weather at airports and general forecasts and an overview that shows whether it should be sunny, cloudy, etc., but no actual Nexrad images. Dang! (But I didn't want to use the 396 on the motorcycle because it has no Bluetooth phone inteface and it's npt as weatherproof. Oh well...)

Tom, Impressive bike you have there. Don't think you are bragging at all just showing us how it's done. Hoping to follow in your footsteps within the next few months. Great job on the bike. Like you said you are blessed to have the financial means to be able to afford this bike and farkle it how you want. I commend you for your hard work you have done and now enjoy your money. You only live once.... Thanks again for sharing..

Tom,

The bike looks great! I have the same Zumo and Garmin XM antenna on my bike as well. I was able to put the antenna under the fairing just behind the glove box on the left hand side. Reception is just as good and it stays out of sight. Let me know if you need any more details.

Robin, good to hear from you. Has it been awhile since you posted or have I just missed it?

Sweet Ride Tom. Many safe miles may you travel. Did you also install satellite radio?
I have the GXM-30 antenna that hooks to the Zumo and provides both weather and XM radio. I am a pilot and airplane owner -- 1977 Cessna 180 -- and the GXM-30 I already had as a part of my Garmin GPSMAP 396 that I use in the plane. It is easy to switch it back and forth between the bike and the plane. The subscriptions (weather and XM) are associated with this "smart" antenna, not with the GPS unit itself.

I am a little disappointed in the weather I get on the Zumo vs. the 396. On the 396, in addition to METARs, TAFs, winds aloft, freezing levels, etc., I also get close-to-real-time Nexrad radar images of precipitation. Not so when hooked to the Zumo. Instead, I get weather at airports and general forecasts and an overview that shows whether it should be sunny, cloudy, etc., but no actual Nexrad images. Dang! (But I didn't want to use the 396 on the motorcycle because it has no Bluetooth phone inteface and it's npt as weatherproof. Oh well...)
Thank you Tom for the additional info. I plan on adding a Zumo real soon & your info seals the deal. :rolleyes:

Tom, The bike looks great! I have the same Zumo and Garmin XM antenna on my bike as well. I was able to put the antenna under the fairing just behind the glove box on the left hand side. Reception is just as good and it stays out of sight. Let me know if you need any more details.

That's a clever idea that would leave the bike cleaner in appearance. However, since I am switching the antenna between the bike and the plane, I think I have to leave it more exposed, right? I presume you must remove some of the panels to get to yours, or am I wrong? Thanks.

Robin, good to hear from you. Has it been awhile since you posted or have I just missed it?