Flash to Pass

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's another pic showing the Euro switch in place.
Flash2PassSM.jpg
What's the switch underneath to?

That is an AE bike, and the lower switch is for shifting.

Something to keep in mind about the flash to pass feature, it's stupidly illegal in some states to flash your lights at slow traffic. WA state calls it road rage and it commonly gets a 911 call from the left lane squatter in front of you. BTDT on the receiving end unfortunately. I only got a lecture and a speeding ticket by the two LEOs waiting for me around a corner after the minivan driver called them to report me flashing my lights at her. (she was pacing a dump truck at 50 mph on the freeway for 10 miles or so, while on the cell phone the entire time.)

Oh, yea! Duh!

Guess I was looking at the switches too much to notice. I'm used to my clutch, not the AE bikes.

Thanks!

That is an AE bike, and the lower switch is for shifting.

Something to keep in mind about the flash to pass feature, it's stupidly illegal in some states to flash your lights at slow traffic. WA state calls it road rage and it commonly gets a 911 call from the left lane squatter in front of you. BTDT on the receiving end unfortunately. I only got a lecture and a speeding ticket by the two LEOs waiting for me around a corner after the minivan driver called them to report me flashing my lights at her. (she was pacing a dump truck at 50 mph on the freeway for 10 miles or so, while on the cell phone the entire time.)

Huh? I don't get that. So how are you supposed to (politely) request passage by the left lane squatters? How about using your horn? Would that be acceptable? Perhaps a gentle tap to their nether regions with your bumper?

Sheesh...

Huh? I don't get that. So how are you supposed to (politely) request passage by the left lane squatters? How about using your horn? Would that be acceptable? Perhaps a gentle tap to their nether regions with your bumper?
Sheesh...
I know, no sense at all. I even tried to explain to the nice officer that he might want to read his owner's manual about the "pass to flash" feature on his car. I was taught that it's a courtesy to flash, rather than use the horn or tailgate the dumbass moron squatter asshat inconsiderate, inattentive driver in front of you.

...while on the cell phone the entire time.)

So it's okay to talk on the cell phone (w/o hands free), but it's considered road rage to flash your lights to get someone's attention?

I guess headlight modulators are completely forbidden then. Although they're supposedly legal in all 50 states.

Inattentive driving: Legally permissible :huh:

Attentive driving giving a heads up: road rage :angry03:

Hum, interesting.

:blink: That's just too stupid for words! Maybe the attention put on "distracted driving" will catch this woman sometime soon. I'll remember this when I'm in WA and call 911 everytime there is someone like her in front of me! <_<

I was thinkin' maybe pull up beside them and tap on their window... naaaahhhh!

More specifically on topic..

I've looked at this as a perfect switch for my PTT as well but to no avail. I'll be looking into wrecking yards now! Thanks!

has anyone thought of going one step further and trying to locate parts through the switch cluster manufacturer?

:blink: That's just too stupid for words! Maybe the attention put on "distracted driving" will catch this woman sometime soon. I'll remember this when I'm in WA and call 911 everytime there is someone like her in front of me! <_<

I was thinkin' maybe pull up beside them and tap on their window... naaaahhhh!

More specifically on topic..

I've looked at this as a perfect switch for my PTT as well but to no avail. I'll be looking into wrecking yards now! Thanks!

has anyone thought of going one step further and trying to locate parts through the switch cluster manufacturer?

I would be in for one if we can track them down. I too, would like to mount my PTT switch there. The one that comes with the starcom bugs the crap outta me...

Hmmm. I wonder if we could somehow track down the switch manufacturer. Obviously Yamaha buys those switches from someone and sticks them into their housing. Actually, since the same housing shows up on other brands of bikes they probably are purchasing the whole assembly. Any industry insiders that have a line of this?

[edit] deleted thread hijack

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmmm. I wonder if we could somehow track down the switch manufacturer. Obviously Yamaha buys those switches from someone and sticks them into their housing. Actually, since the same housing shows up on other brands of bikes they probably are purchasing the whole assembly. Any industry insiders that have a line of this?
[edit] deleted thread hijack
Find a Jap manufacturer's source??? That was a joke, right? ;)

Fred, I tried this once and learned it's MASSIVELY easier to just get one from a junked bike.

I too am interested in adding the "flash-to-pass" feature to my 2009 FJR1300A (North American Model), and I'm wondering whether anybody has determined whether the european left handlebar switch could be installed as a "plug and play" replacement. Any updates?
Henry - Welcome to the forum, but did you read the post that I had 3 before yours?

btw to all, I was in Europe till yesterday and checked again on the price of the left switch assembly. It's about 130 EUROs, which is roughly $170 dollars PLUS shipping. Again, it's far simpler and cheaper in the US to get the switch from a wreck and splice it into the high beam wires an inch or two from the switch housing.

Actually i checked on that assembly in the UK in November and it was 90 pounds which right now is about $5......

Just kidding it is actually less than $130.

R

FWIW I have a buddy who rides a 2000 something Venture that uses that switch. Wonder if it wil fit? Maybe another salvage yard source for the control.

Flash to pass might work on the Autobahn but in my experience here in America, you're perfectly free and even encouraged to go 50mph in the fast lane while eating a meatball sub with a dog in your lap and talking on a cell phone.

I just exercise patience and then pass them as soon as I can. I don't want to communicate with these people in any way. Consider them an immovable obstacle and use your superior mind to find a way around. Safely. :)

.02¢

Flash to pass might work on the Autobahn but in my experience here in America, you're perfectly free and even encouraged to go 50mph in the fast lane while eating a meatball sub with a dog in your lap and talking on a cell phone.
I just exercise patience and then pass them as soon as I can. I don't want to communicate with these people in any way. Consider them an immovable obstacle and use your superior mind to find a way around. Safely. :)

.02¢
so freakin true! there is no way i am going to let the "about to be overtaken" have any advanced notice.

ive had drivers move to cut me off believe it or not, on several occasions. screw 'em, i pass as safely, for me, and as quickly as i can.

cadman

.02¢
so freakin true! there is no way i am going to let the "about to be overtaken" have any advanced notice.

ive had drivers move to cut me off believe it or not, on several occasions. screw 'em, i pass as safely, for me, and as quickly as i can.

cadman

Absolutely. I dont want the switch for the actual FTP, I want to hook my PTT for the Starcom to it.

I seem to remember that Gary got the switch at radio shack, we took the Autocom PTT switch apart and just used the relevant PTT wires. It works great, as far waterproof goes i really have no idea but i hope it is.

It also allows me to hit the horn when i want it instead of the PTT.

here are the pics i just took

R

How many wires are on the Autocomm PTT switch? Is it just 2? I have a Starcom PTT switch, but I imagine it is the same. Going to head to the bike junk yard today and see what I can find. If I dont find anything, I may stop by radio shack on the way home for one of those...

there was more then 2 wires on there as there is a VOX and constant option on the switch also but we only used the red and ground wires.

R