Flash to Pass

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul II

Reaction score
Just coming off a F650GS and this will be my first season on the FJR, as soon as the shoulder high snowbanks disappear.

While installing my throttlemeister (thanx Fairlaner) I noticed that there is a "cut-out" for a flash to pass switch should be. I looked at the European FJR model and sure enough it is there but no on our NA bikes. I did a search and found this thread:

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum/lofiversion/...hp/t101068.html

It talked about adding a modified microswitch to use this feature.

Has anyone obtained or installed the Euro spec switch with this feature? Any sources for the parts or cost involved. Does the NA wiring support this mod?

I know its a fairly esoteric thing but I did like it on my 650 and if its an easy mod I'd probably do it.

thanx

Paul

I looked into buying some of those switches while i was in UK in November,

Unfortunately you can't buy just the switch you have to buy the whole unit @ 95 pounds (about $140 right now) so i decided against it.

I did however have Gary (Duff) install a microswitch in that area that we both use for PTT buttons.

R

actually i can't as i didn't do it, i can tell you it is red and small :rolleyes:

I will take i picture for you in a sec and post it.

R

Richard, thats what I was afraid of. $140 is pretty significant. I'm also interested in how that PTT switch got installed on your bike. So it's obviously waterproof?. Its too bad that a homemade mod hasn't been developed to get the flash to pass option. I'd love to try it but electonics/electrical is all voodoo to me. :(

Paul

I seem to remember that Gary got the switch at radio shack, we took the Autocom PTT switch apart and just used the relevant PTT wires.

It works great, as far waterproof goes i really have no idea but i hope it is.

It also allows me to hit the horn when i want it instead of the PTT.

here are the pics i just took

DSC_3188.jpg

DSC_3190.jpg

DSC_3189.jpg

R

Last edited by a moderator:
Paul as a side note, when i was at the dealer in the UK finding out the price of the flash to pass switch i came out side and your avatar was in the parking

lot.

P1030260.jpg

I looked into buying some of those switches while i was in UK in November,Unfortunately you can't buy just the switch you have to buy the whole unit @ 95 pounds (about $140 right now) so i decided against it.
Motorcycle (OEM) handlebar switch assemblies have been $100 (mas-a-minos) for a long time (and, usually, only as assy's).

I think that the $140 (currency exchange involved) is in-the-ballparck. There are many switches in that unit -- and, it's not the easiest place to work (modify). YMMV :)

Paul as a side note, when i was at the dealer in the UK finding out the price of the flash to pass switch i came out side and your avatar was in the parkinglot.

P1030260.jpg
yea, I'm not exactly into the "gaudy" look but I really dig that UK police-bike paint scheme. I'm sure there have been studies into the effectiveness of it in preventing cagers from running into them. Be interesting to see what the results are....

Paul

Paul, check this out...

DSC00066.jpg

This is a flash to pass switch from a 2008 Kawasaki Concours. I sourced it from a motorcycle salvage yard in Sacramento. It turns out that Yamaha and Kawasaki both use the exact same switch pod - except Yamaha decided to put a cover in place of the flash to pass switch. I had to buy the whole left switch pod, I believe it cost me around $80. Still a little steep for a switch but a lot better than getting it from overseas.

I plan to make this into a push to talk switch for my Starcom Digital set up.

Brodie

Just coming off a F650GS and this will be my first season on the FJR, as soon as the shoulder high snowbanks disappear.
While installing my throttlemeister (thanx Fairlaner) I noticed that there is a "cut-out" for a flash to pass switch should be. I looked at the European FJR model and sure enough it is there but no on our NA bikes. I did a search and found this thread:

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum/lofiversion/...hp/t101068.html

It talked about adding a modified microswitch to use this feature.

Has anyone obtained or installed the Euro spec switch with this feature? Any sources for the parts or cost involved. Does the NA wiring support this mod?

I know its a fairly esoteric thing but I did like it on my 650 and if its an easy mod I'd probably do it.

thanx

Paul

Tyler

I seem to remember from a previous thread that your made a buzzing sound when you pushed it. :dribble: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

R

On a Euro trip last year I bought a couple of salvage Yamaha switch clusters and sold one to another forum member. I ended up trashing all but the switch itself. Do NOT assume that the Euro switch cluster will bolt right into your 200X U.S. spec FJR, as there have been at least 3 styles of connectors used.

Brodie has the easiest and cheapest way to go. Kawasaki, Ducati, Yamaha, Euro-versions of Suzukis, and other brands seem to all be common. Find your local bike salvage yard and get the left switch cluster from any of them. If the dimensions are the same as what's on your FJR, the physical switch is probably the same. I'm guessing they've bought from the same few switch manufacturers

The way I wired it in was simply parallel to the existing hi-lo headlight switch. I clipped the little tie-wrap, pulled back the plastic sleeving (a hot hair blower helped) on the harness and spliced in the wires for the new switch. This is an inch or two from the switch cluster and I was careful to stagger the splices to keep from bulking up the harness in the sleeve. Sealed it up and then pulled the black sleeving over the splices.

btw - The Radio Shack microswitches will do OK for a while in an area with less rain (like L.A.) but the road salt and krap in the DC area kills 'em dead. btdt

Bob

On a Euro trip last year I bought a couple of salvage Yamaha switch clusters and sold one to another forum member. I ended up trashing all but the switch itself. Do NOT assume that the Euro switch cluster will bolt right into your 200X U.S. spec FJR, as there have been at least 3 styles of connectors used.
Brodie has the easiest and cheapest way to go. Kawasaki, Ducati, Yamaha, Euro-versions of Suzukis, and other brands seem to all be common. Find your local bike salvage yard and get the left switch cluster from any of them. If the dimensions are the same as what's on your FJR, the physical switch is probably the same. I'm guessing they've bought from the same few switch manufacturers

The way I wired it in was simply parallel to the existing hi-lo headlight switch. I clipped the little tie-wrap, pulled back the plastic sleeving (a hot hair blower helped) on the harness and spliced in the wires for the new switch. This is an inch or two from the switch cluster and I was careful to stagger the splices to keep from bulking up the harness in the sleeve. Sealed it up and then pulled the black sleeving over the splices.

btw - The Radio Shack microswitches will do OK for a while in an area with less rain (like L.A.) but the road salt and krap in the DC area kills 'em dead. btdt

Bob

Brodie/Bob.

thanx for the info. wasn't aware that the switch gear was common across the makes. I'm going to give it a go and see what I come up with. I'll check some cycle salvage shops first.

Paul

I too am interested in adding the "flash-to-pass" feature to my 2009 FJR1300A (North American Model), and I'm wondering whether anybody has determined whether the european left handlebar switch could be installed as a "plug and play" replacement. Any updates?

I really like the way the stock euro switch looks. I'd love to get something similar for my B2B PTT switch install.

The little red momentary switch from Rat Shack seems a little fragile. :unsure: