Fly and ride questions / Information

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reidy008

Reaction score
I am about to do a fly and ride across America. My first FJR so was wondering if anyone might have some advise for me on what to check on the bike and things to be aware of. It's an 08 with 44,000 miles. Any information would be appreciated.

Probably don't want to hear it, but wow--there must be a GREAT reason to get this particular FJR. Like it's free? This time of year there have to be plenty of good deals on '08's with 44K miles or something as good or better. And you don't really know what to look for in a used--almost 10-year old FJR? Risky.

I know you can fall in love with the idea of taking off on an adventure and coming home with a great bike, but it's sure worth looking A LOT before jumping. Or it can be. Or maybe not. Just my opinion, and now I think about it, I'm sure I must be wrong. Good luck.

edit, on further reflection: To address your question, search the hell out of this forum for lots and lots of threads asking the same question for plenty of good advice that's already out there, if you're really going to fly across the country to look at this bike for the first time.

Last edited by a moderator:
There has to be a used Gen2 bike close to where your are versus flying. I hate to kill someones deal but to me it doesn't make sense unless they are almost giving it away. If you were buying new well, that's another story. I did a fly and ride on a new bike for my 2008. I would deeply consider searching a little harder. You are pretty much commited to buying the bike once your out there regardless.

Good luck,

Dave

While I agree with the other comments, I can understand wanting to do a trip like this. You definitely need to KNOW that the bike is in great shape and ready to roll. (It had better be a great deal, too!) I have seen far too many times when a bike (or car) was somewhat less than advertised.

Make sure license, title and insurance are all in place.

Make sure payment method is settled ahead of time.

Make sure the bike is guaranteed available when you get there.

Are the tires up to snuff for a cross-country trip? Oil changed recently?

Where is this bike? We are getting to the time of year when the weather might not be your friend. High plains or mountains may be especially risky. Bring clothing (and gear) suitable for a wide range of conditions.

I had a trip all lined up like this to get my first FJR. It was for an 06 with 20,000 miles on it and KBB had it valued at $9k, but the bike in Atlanta was at $7500. Guy sent me pictures and assured me everything worked. That was right at the time that Delta and Northwest merged. I could fly from Detroit to Atlanta for $99. I figured it was worth the $100 gamble. We had it arranged that we could do the deal at the airport. But it fell apart when trying to schedule it. The first dates I proposed didn't work and then I never heard back when I tried to reschedule.

Ended up with an 06 a couple days later for $5500 with only 6,000 miles on it in Buffalo, NY.

Anyway, enough with my anecdotes. Where are you flying to and where are you riding back? Double check with your insurance company over the matter. Legally I could purchase the bike out of state and ride it home without a plate. It had to be the most direct route possible or something like that. I think there was a time restriction as well. Different states, different companies, different rules. If you already have a bike that is insured, that may be easier than if you don't.

Most of my recent bikes have been Fly/Ride. While I agree with many of the above comments, I have always been looking for something particular (McCruise or $$ or mileage or color or...) which dramatically drops the local pool. To me its all about the owner -- that's something true for every bike and more so the older it is. Its worth it to me to buy from someone at a distance who clearly loves and babies their bike, particularly vs. a dealer with no background info on the bike. A contributing model-specific forum member also gets huge points on my "should I buy it" scale.

Make sure payment method is set up in advance. I always insist on paying cash and bring some smaller bills for the final 20% of agreed-upon purchase price so that last minute "things" (scuffs, missing accessories, etc.) can be negotiated with out me needing "change".

I prefer to be picked up at the airport and driven to the seller's place which gives me an even clearer idea of who he is and how well he maintains his stuff. I'm not afraid to walk away, but have never had to do it. So far, I'm batting 1000 on probably 7 or 8 purchases. I actually am still in contact with most of the guys whose bikes I've purchased.

As mentioned, weather is a bit iffy this time of year, so plan carefully. Tires and oil, as mentioned are important to check!

Just another perspective... If it's the right bike, make an adventure out of it!

Thanks for the fly and ride advice guys, I appreciate it a lot. I am looking for any issues that are particular to that year and model for me to inspect on the bike when I get there. I have not owned a shaft drive bike before so not sure if there is anything I should be looking at there. Owner has been great, paying cash when I get the bike, he is picking me up at the airport unless something happens work wise for him. Not a very long Uber or cab ride if he can't make it. Got all the gear I need, weather is looking ok for now. will be taking me heated gear anyway just hoping no snow of ice anywhere.

Planning on seeing friends just south of Nashville after I run through Tail of the Dragon and Blue Ridge Parkway. Not sure what I do from there. Might stop to see friends in OK City but will depend on weather if I need to head south.

Shaft drive on the FJR is about as bullet-proof as anything can get.

If you have heated gear, do you have a way to plug it in? ("Lighter" socket in glove box is NOT capable of running heated gear!)

(Most mount a Powerlet socket running either directly from the battery or from an auxiliary fusebox - or use a fused SAE pigtail right off the battery.)

Find out if the recalls were done on the bike. Probably not an issue for the ride back but make sure they were done.

Check the tire pressure (and condition) before riding off into the sunset.

If you have not done it before... practice on the medium twisties before riding The Dragon.

Enjoy the process... but be a little paranoid so as not to be disappointed.

Check the weather forecast for your route. At least some of it sounds like it will be sub freezing early in the day if your going soon.

I have been looking through all the new member stuff and bike issues by year, probably spending to much time in here but better to have as much research as i can. Thanks for the heads up on the power outlet on the bike not being able to run the heated gear. I will take an SAE with an inline fuse with me and put it direct to the battery. Thats how my other bikes are setup. I pick the bike up on the 4th so 9 days away. 10 day forecasts are looking fine but definetely will be watching for freezing temps in the early and late parts of the day.

The battery is easy to access once you know how. It's inside the right side of the fairing, and the black fairing liner panel on my Gen 2 bike was held in place by a plastic rivet in the front and a 3mm allen bolt in the back. I don' t know if that allen bolt is OEM, or if the prior owner replaced a screw and put it there, but with those two fasteners out, the panel lifts up very easily and exposes your 2 fuse boxes and the battery. Good luck!

Last edited by a moderator:
An 08 with 44k will need gas and you should check the air pressure in the tires. You can find out more about it when you get it home. That's it
smile.png

Reidy008 posted:
I have been looking through all the new member stuff and bike issues by year, probably spending to much time in here but better to have as much research as i can. Thanks for the heads up on the power outlet on the bike not being able to run the heated gear. I will take an SAE with an inline fuse with me and put it direct to the battery. Thats how my other bikes are setup. I pick the bike up on the 4th so 9 days away. 10 day forecasts are looking fine but definetely will be watching for freezing temps in the early and late parts of the day.
1) Not possible to spend "too much time" researching a bike that involves a fly-n-ride.

2) Despite what folks think, it can get really cold on a November morning in the Southland, especially when you're up at 3,000 feet (like almost everywhere in western NC) and especially if you're from freaking Arizona. Be prepared.

3) Be very careful during the 3-hour windows around sunrise and sundown. Our deer get mighty frisky this time of year.

4) MAKE SURE TO HAVE FUN! This is an adventure, right?

Weather in these parts is unpredictable past 48 hours. Mornings have been in the high 40's low 50's.

If your going to be close to the Natchez Trace hop on around Columbia,TN and ride up to Nashville. There is a good spot to eat lunch at the end/beginning of the Trace, Loveless Cafe.

Haven't seen any comments of the possible age of the gas in the tank. May need an additive if it is questionable.

Going over to the Dragon you'll have to deal with the rubber neckers driving through looking at the "Fall Colors" and not watching the road.

Have fun, be safe.

k

Heading to Nashville to stay Sunday night with a good friend. Will see if I can take your suggestions.