FNG Again

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skifrik

Reaction score
Just picked a very slightly used 09 all black A model. I've got alot of work to do on, but I'm loving it. Got rid of 06 AE at a good price. It's funny. I love both bikes for different reasons. The AE was great for touring and commuting, and this A model is a blast in the turns. So I guess I'm a FNG all over again.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just picked a very slightly used 09 all black A model. I've got alot of work to do on, but I'm loving it. Got rid of 06 AE at a good price. It's funny. I love both bikes for different reasons. The AE was great for touring and commuting, and this A model is a blast in the turns. So I guess I'm a FNG all over again.
Just curious, what would make the "A" better in turns ?

Well you would have to ride an AE to really experience it. An AE will disengage the clutch when decelerating and it can be a little abrupt when it reengages it when you get back on the throttle while exiting a turn. And because the throttle basically controls the clutch, you always have to take it a little easier coming out of a turn. Not that big of a deal, just a little different.

Well you would have to ride an AE to really experience it. An AE will disengage the clutch when decelerating and it can be a little abrupt when it reengages it when you get back on the throttle while exiting a turn. And because the throttle basically controls the clutch, you always have to take it a little easier coming out of a turn. Not that big of a deal, just a little different.

I'm surely not trying to make this an AE vs A thread, but who shifts in a turn? Your gear selection and speed should be determined when entering the turn, not in the turn. I couldn't possible see any difference mechanically between the bikes while cornering. Maybe the often discussed “throttle abruptness” of the ‘06, but definitely not the AE factor. It’s certainly never been a problem for me.

Good luck with your new bike.

????? are you riding the same AE I am? my clutch does not disengage until very slow speeds. I think the difference you are feeling its the cam in the throttle which was taken care of between 06 and 09 Just a thought

I just wanted to say I got a new bike that I like. And I know that those that ride Fjr's never go hard into a turn and downshift while doing it. That might explain why my front tires wear out so quickly. But I do tend to go very hard into turns and its nice once again to be able to slip the clutch a bit while adding power coming out of a turn. Guess It's just my riding style. As for throttle abruptness never really had an issue with that...but if you do, adding a power commander can eliminate the fuel off condition caused by closing the throttle. Just saying/.

I just wanted to say I got a new bike that I like. And I know that those that ride Fjr's never go hard into a turn and downshift while doing it. That might explain why my front tires wear out so quickly. But I do tend to go very hard into turns and its nice once again to be able to slip the clutch a bit while adding power coming out of a turn. Guess It's just my riding style. As for throttle abruptness never really had an issue with that...but if you do, adding a power commander can eliminate the fuel off condition caused by closing the throttle. Just saying/.
That does not explain your disengage the clutch statement.

Usually when you downshift the clutch disengages, at least it did on this bike. But since it is Friday lets start an A, AE debate!!!

Usually when you downshift the clutch disengages, at least it did on this bike. But since it is Friday lets start an A, AE debate!!!
Congrats on your new bike. Not fueling the fire here. But your saying when you down shift your AE acted as if it was in neutral (No RPM increase)?

got me wondering too.

Are you saying when you come into a turn hot and braking hard you drop a couple of gears, the clutch slips like a slipper clutch rather than slip/skid the rear wheel??

Fred

Are you saying when you come into a turn hot and braking hard you drop a couple of gears, the clutch slips like a slipper clutch rather than slip/skid the rear wheel??

Edit: Sorry for the double entry.

Fred

Edit: Sorry for the double entry.

Fred
I wish that would have happened.

Sooooo, your saying you come into a turn hot and braking hard, you drop a couple of gears then whack the throttle wide open and the clutch slips rather than hook up with the rear wheel???

Fred