FNG questions for my newly acquired Gen 1

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HyperPete

Opinionated curmudgeon
Reaction score
I read various board FAQs, and I did some forum searches before posting these questions. Hopefully I have not missed something really obvious. Thanks, in advance, for your answers!

• I'm looking to replace grips with something a bit fatter. After searching the forum for "handlebar diameter" I only returned one post. Are they really 7/8" for the left grip, and 1" for the right one, or is that just for the grips, to account for the throttle "tube"? (Need to know in order to order the correct Vista Cruise and grips.)
  • Seat cover - my seat has a split seam. I am considering having it re-worked for better comfort, but are there decent seat covers available commercially and somewhat more inexpensively? I'm not looking to spend $500+ for a new comfy seat.
  • I have some damaged fairing plastics. Concerning Asian plastics, as seen on eBay for around $500: Are they complete rubbish?
  • HID Headlight bulbs - is there plenty of room for ballasts, or must I use "slim" ballasts?
  • I can't seem to find a link to someone who sells the under-mirror brackets for fog/driving lights. Can someone please help by providing one, or do most just make their own? If the latter, is there a template available I may use?

Right grip has a slightly larger internal diameter to account for throttle tube.

If you don't want to spend the time or the money for a full custom (which I highly recommend) there must be an upholstery shop somewhere in your area. You may even be fortunate enough for one of them to know something of motorcycle seats and they can lightly customize what you have. Or, you might try Spencer. Spencer does a mild custom job with your seat and it still looks fairly stock. He is less expensive than a full custom.

With the Tupperware as with everything else, you get what you pay for. Is Japan part of Asia?
rolleyes.gif

For your brackets we have two forum members who are both 1st class. Garauld and 08FJR4ME. Either of those gentlemen can help you.

I just installed a set of Emgo 42-28700 cushion grips on my Gen 1. Went on easy with hair spray and just needed to trim off the end caps to get the Throttlemeister end weights back on.

These are old style "barrel grips" that are IMO more comfortable because they are more ergonomic than the normal grips. Again IMO.

Got them off EBay from a great seller in FL for less than $12 delivered. Will post the name of the seller as an edit.

Would be fatter and a lot more cushioned than stock. The seller calls them tittie grips. There is a slight resemblance to the tactile sensation.

Welcome to the wonderful world of FJR ownership!

• Seat cover - my seat has a split seam. I am considering having it re-worked for better comfort, but are there decent seat covers available commercially and somewhat more inexpensively? I'm not looking to spend $500+ for a new comfy seat.
  • HID Headlight bulbs - is there plenty of room for ballasts, or must I use "slim" ballasts?
Good condition stock seats and semi-customs come up for sale occasionally. You might look through to see if there are older threads still for sale as a cheaper alternative than an OEM replacement or custom cover. I'm not aware of any after-market seat covers specifically for the FJR. Most use the opportunity of a sketchy stocker as a down-payment to custom seats in my experience.

There's more room in Gen 1 nose than future generations and many different ways to stuff and secure HID hardware. There's technically room to stuff the huge igniter/ballasts from FF200 lights...so there's more than enough room for the non-slim ballasts. Once you take the nose off you see lots of options. However, the slim ones are nice because they're also lighter and tend to work better with sticky tape and less risk of interference with the windshield mechanism.

Thank you, everyone, for such prompt and helpful replies!

Owsley: I've been a FZ fan for almost 40 years!

Redfish Hunter: I am already talking to Garauld about paint and plastics repair; I'll ask him about brackets as well. Re: seats, there is a guy near me in York, PA, who customizes motorcycle seats. I have emailed him, but was looking for "thriftier" options. I did come across this: https://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/43891/i/saddlemen-saddle-skins-replacement-seat-cover but I also read a thread about the "dreadful" saddleman seat covers, so I think I'll pass on that!

Barn Boy: I'll look into those grips. I forgot about the bar-end weights when I was thinking of Avon or ISO grips. :(

Ignacio: I have been searching the For Sale threads for parts that I want and need, and I will continue to watch them. I like Morimoto HIDs through the Retrofit Source; more expensive than most, but very high quality and a 5-year warranty for the 35 Watt kits. I don't think they make a slim Ballast. Have you any suggestions for good quality HIDs that do?

Have you any suggestions for good quality HIDs that do?
There was a Group Buy in the LD forum some years ago and I remember the brand "Futurevision" and bought a 50 watt IIRC.

But, with LED options these days I'd probably not go the HID route any more. Fire up time, ballast placement and wiring, and other variables make it a declining technology IMO.

There has been a lot of debate about LED vs HID on the M109R forum that I frequent. The general consensus there has been that LEDs are not "ready for prime time" yet.

I have read a couple of threads here about LEDs and it seems there is still debate over fan cooling vs heat sinks. I believe that I read that COB uses fan cooling while CREE does not. Perhaps I am mistaken, but what I interpreted from the threads was that there are some very good LED fog/driving lights, but that there are still complaints about the actual headlight bulbs.

I am certainly open to suggestions, however! Additional available amperage for more lighting, additional horn or horns, a GPS, and heated gear would be a nice benefit.

The HID lag time is not an issue on my other 3 bikes because they use a single H4 bulb, and a magnet moves the bulb to switch between high and low beams. I can see the preheat time / lag being an issue on FJRs since they use 2 bulbs. I do hope to replace the bulbs very soon. I must take apart the front anyway, because the high beam adjuster appears to have been broken when the previous owner dropped the bike on it's left side. No night riding until that is fixed!

I just installed a set of Emgo 42-28700 cushion grips on my Gen 1. Went on easy with hair spray and just needed to trim off the end caps to get the Throttlemeister end weights back on.These are old style "barrel grips" that are IMO more comfortable because they are more ergonomic than the normal grips. Again IMO.

Got them off EBay from a great seller in FL for less than $12 delivered. Will post the name of the seller as an edit.

Would be fatter and a lot more cushioned than stock. The seller calls them tittie grips. There is a slight resemblance to the tactile sensation.

The EBay seller is cafe racerxx. The item number is 161206465330.

On your seat question, there are some decent prices on Corbin's on EBay now and then. Also if you post a want to buy on this forum, you may find a member who has some left over Gen 1 goodies after they moved on to a Gen 2 or 3.

HVMPs are a good bar end source. ( sorry, don't do links)

I just installed a set of Emgo 42-28700 cushion grips on my Gen 1. Went on easy with hair spray and just needed to trim off the end caps to get the Throttlemeister end weights back on.

These are old style "barrel grips" that are IMO more comfortable because they are more ergonomic than the normal grips. Again IMO.

The EBay seller is cafe racerxx. The item number is 161206465330.

On your seat question, there are some decent prices on Corbin's on EBay now and then. Also if you post a want to buy on this forum, you may find a member who has some left over Gen 1 goodies after they moved on to a Gen 2 or 3.

HVMPs are a good bar end source. ( sorry, don't do links)
Thank you for the information. Pardon my ignorance, but what are HVMPs?

If you're looking for quick and easy thicker grips, try Grip Puppies. They are foam sleeves that easily slip over stock grips with an air compressor or soapy water. They make the grip thicker and provide cushioning (and vibration reduction). My original source no longer sells online and I'm not even sure if they are still made because I had heard production was ceasing. I bought a small stockpile and therefore haven't shopped for a while.

An alternative source that I have not tried is Grab On grip covers. I found some on ebay under item # 291042547904. They look identical to the Grip Puppies.

Thanks Harald. I see that grip puppies are still available, but apparently only in the UK. Perhaps I will try the Grab-ons.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Harald. I see that grip puppies are still available, but apparently only in the UK. Perhaps I will try the Grip-ons.
Grab On used to be a very popular replacement grip option back in the 80's. I preferred the Johar brand because they were a little thicker.

I forgot to mention that the Grip Puppies still allow heated grips to heat through. Also, they might only last a couple years (30,000 miles in my case) but at $10 delivered I had no problem swapping on a fresh set when they started splitting. And using my air compressor they only take a couple minutes to pop on.

Look at www.HVMP for heavy or very heavy bar end weights for FJRs. If you like them, use discount code HVMP10 to get a 10% discount when you order.

I just found some info on a Seat Concepts kit. That looks like a good option to a $500 seat.
Seat Concepts have been getting some good reviews here and on the Tenere forum. Haven't personally tried one, but looks like a nice frugal alternative.

Good luck!

--G

Under-mirror brackets found! (Buying some "used" from a member here.)

Ignacio, would you happen to have any links for LED headlights that have gotten good reviews?

Pete, if you look in the Group/Self Buys forum, you will see both Clearwater Lights and LEDrider, which have had forum discounts and group buys in the past. Lots of feedback there. The price-point of those two vendors is very different, but both have a strong following. More feedback is in the Dealer & Vendor Feedback forum.

As we used to say in CA, "Asking Iggie to lead you by the hand is playing with fire dude". Or here in PA, "Yinz don't tug on Superman's" cape an at'.

Last edited by a moderator: