FNG questions for my newly acquired Gen 1

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I read various board FAQs, and I did some forum searches before posting these questions. Hopefully I have not missed something really obvious. Thanks, in advance, for your answers!

• I'm looking to replace grips with something a bit fatter. After searching the forum for "handlebar diameter" I only returned one post. Are they really 7/8" for the left grip, and 1" for the right one, or is that just for the grips, to account for the throttle "tube"? (Need to know in order to order the correct Vista Cruise and grips.) Try Grip Puppies first.. may do the trick for less $$$
  • Seat cover - my seat has a split seam. I am considering having it re-worked for better comfort, but are there decent seat covers available commercially and somewhat more inexpensively? I'm not looking to spend $500+ for a new comfy seat. Try a local upholstery shop, may be able to glue it/sew it/repair it for cheap. Until you can get a LAAM or RDL.
  • I have some damaged fairing plastics. Concerning Asian plastics, as seen on eBay for around $500: Are they complete rubbish? No Idea- No experience with these. But chicks dig scars. JSNS

My .02 (and believe me, compared to the others knowledge on here, my opinion probably isn't even worth that .....)

Garauld here on the forum for stuff, I think I have one Grip puppy somewhere you can have? Not sure if it was this forum, but Seat Concept's replacement was performed with pictures and looked great. It would help if you have compressed air and a pneumatic stapler. I have a Seat Concepts seat on my DR and fit and finish is great. I didn't do a kit, the seat was on the bike when I bought it.

Thank you Tom and Erixun!

Re: they OEM lights, they are orange! (I am so used to 6000K HIDs on everything else I own.) I actually have an unused set of 6000K HID H4s but they already have 1 - 2 years of use, I don't want to install bulbs that may fail after a year. I guess, at the very least, I can put in new H4s. (I wanted to replace everything that might fail soon while I have the fairing off / apart.)

I am also on a budget; with the Stay 1 part that needs to be replaced ($300 new) and the "tupperware" that needs repair, I won't have several hundred dollars for new LED driving lights. I was hoping to pay $100 or less for LED plug-in replacements. The HIDs I like run $160 for a dual H4 setup.

Going to the body shop who custom painted my M109R today, and there is an upholstery shop next door. I'll get an estimate for seat repair.

Garauld here on the forum for stuff, I think I have one Grip puppy somewhere you can have? Not sure if it was this forum, but Seat Concept's replacement was performed with pictures and looked great. It would help if you have compressed air and a pneumatic stapler. I have a Seat Concepts seat on my DR and fit and finish is great. I didn't do a kit, the seat was on the bike when I bought it.
Thank you JMGrif!

I do have a compressor, but I don't have an air stapler. Seat Concepts only charges an additional $20 if you send your pan to them and request installation. That's crazy-cheap! Perhaps, if my local upholsterer cannot help me out inexpensively, I will go that route when I take everything apart. I could also ask my local upholsterer why they would charge to install the Seat Concepts kit if I buy one.

The idea is to have it apart for as short a time as possible, although I can ride the '82 Goldwing (boring!) or the M109R while the FJR is apart.

You might look into the Cree L.E.D. lights, as recommended to me by Ignacio. I mounted one spot and one flood plus the rheostat controller for I think $160 - 5,400 lumens(?) and only 60 watts(?). They can be wired so you have variable manual control with the bike's beams switched to low, then have the L.E.D.s automatically go to full power when you bump the beam switch to high. I think these increase my total light output 3x. I rarely ride at night but have plenty of evidence these have substantially increased my daytime conspicuity.

Big Sky, I will search for that thread.

The seat cover is done. It's split, it isn't a seam that let go. Recovering would be $175, so I might as well go for the Seat Concepts setup for $215.

Thank you Tom and Erixun!
Re: they OEM lights, they are orange! (I am so used to 6000K HIDs on everything else I own.) I actually have an unused set of 6000K HID H4s but they already have 1 - 2 years of use, I don't want to install bulbs that may fail after a year. I guess, at the very least, I can put in new H4s. (I wanted to replace everything that might fail soon while I have the fairing off / apart.)

I am also on a budget; with the Stay 1 part that needs to be replaced ($300 new) and the "tupperware" that needs repair, I won't have several hundred dollars for new LED driving lights. I was hoping to pay $100 or less for LED plug-in replacements. The HIDs I like run $160 for a dual H4 setup.

Going to the body shop who custom painted my M109R today, and there is an upholstery shop next door. I'll get an estimate for seat repair.
If you have a set of HID lights, just go ahead and install them. The cleanest install I have found is to remove the 3 hex screws on the right side fairings, and bury the ballast above the coolant reservoir, then connect to the HID bulb by doing a reach-around the battery compartment to the headlight. On the left, the ballast will just drop, or adhere in front of the glove compartment. This protects the ballasts and gives them plenty of cooling air. Separate the bayonette fitting so the bulb removes from the 3-prong mount and shield, then Install the bulb bases into the headlight opening. Install the boots, then connect everything and install the bulb through the boot into the shield, and you're done. If you loose a bulb or ballast, the 3-prong fitting can quickly be attached to a halogen bulb temporarily, or just insert a new bulb or ballast into the system. I have actually done this on the road in under 10 minutes at a gas stop.

Damn, I just threw away my stock seat covers I got back from Russell when I had my seat done.
banghead.gif

Never fails, there's aways someone who needs stuff that I see no more need for.
headbonk.gif

Tom,

They have at least a full year of use, and seeing the trouble one must go through to change bulbs, I'll either go with new HIDs or new LEDs. Thank you for the mounting suggestions, I'll have the entire fairing off for repairs / repainting, and I will mount them at that time.