Forced off the road

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MY GOD! Someone FINALLY gets it!!

This is a very common accident for motorcyclists and should be noted. Alot of car drivers aren't looking for a motorcycle and as we are aware of this and need to excercise extra caution not only passing traffic as this biker was doing but in all we do when riding. The main mistakes as I see it in the video is the biker should have used more time before utilizing the passing manouver by giving a signal and giving the car driver time to see him and that he was in fact going to make a pass. If you notice on the dash of the bike, no signal was given. Clearly the car in front of him was not trying to run the biker off the road as the car was in fact passing the car in front of it and did not utilize their mirror for a safe lane change. Also notice the car only gave a signal of their intended lane change slightly after the car started to change lanes. Add these things together and the biker loses everytime. This accident could have been avoided and clearly both were at fault. The anger here is IMO not justified. PM. <>< :rolleyes:

If i was able to walk after that,and the guy stopped. I would be going to Jail... Need not to say any more .. :vinsent:

+1

It looked like he tried to prevent the rider from passing, not passing himself.. to much space between cage and cars ahead to be passing, more like blocking, or in this case knocking the bike down....

It looked like he tried to prevent the rider from passing, not passing himself.. to much space between cage and cars ahead to be passing, more like blocking, or in this case knocking the bike down....
Not so, look again. There is a car almost directly in front of the red car that pulled out to pass. You can see it's shadow. Red car was pulling out to make a pass, and as most said, it should have been anticipated since he was riding the ass of the car in front of him.

The "two seconds behind" rule and some patience are always in order.
This scenario also reinforces why I have never been a lane splitter.

:ph34r:
Yep, 2 seconds space would have prevented this; the red car would have passed and then the bike. The biker, IMO sucks at reading situations, or took a poorly calculated risk and lost. Clearly, he was more concerned with catching up to his buddy that looked like he was running a block maneuver on the white car than he was with his own safety. Stupid, aggressive in the wrong place, and unfortunately the car driver will probably end up paying...although the video doesn't do the rider any favors IMO.

In regards to lane splitting, with all due respect, this has nothing to do with lane splitting. This rider hugged the ass of a car that was following another car and as soon as a passing lane opened up the bike made a move, not waiting to see if the car would pass.

Lane sharing is legal in California and we fight to keep it that way. It is safer than staying between the bumpers of cars in traffic IMO and I'd really appreciate it if people that don't really know anything about lane sharing just not comment on it. If you do it regularly you learn quickly that it's a lot safer than most people could imagine it to be. You also get VERY good at figuring out people's next move. Lane sharing is VERY important to my quality of life here in California where traffic sucks and I get to glide on by it. Please don't disparage it unless you really know what you're talking about...please.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been cut off more times than I can count. I used to commute 120 miles each day and 110 miles of that was interstate, which kinda' made me nervous but it was either that or don't ride. I tried to spend as little time along side a cager as possible, but alot of times there is no choice. The truly sad part is that the majority of times I got cut off on the highway, I would lay on the horn and then the cager would reflexively jerk back into/towards his own lane, only to drift back into my lane REGARDLESS of my position! I even made eye contact with one old guy and he STILL came over on me. Most recently, one older lady missed getting my size 11 imprint on her door by about 2 inches...and it looked like she couldn't have cared less. Two things to always remember: 1) either make eye contact, or slow down 2) ride like they're all out to kill ya'.

I've been cut off more times than I can count. I used to commute 120 miles each day and 110 miles of that was interstate, which kinda' made me nervous but it was either that or don't ride. I tried to spend as little time along side a cager as possible, but alot of times there is no choice. The truly sad part is that the majority of times I got cut off on the highway, I would lay on the horn and then the cager would reflexively jerk back into/towards his own lane, only to drift back into my lane REGARDLESS of my position! I even made eye contact with one old guy and he STILL came over on me. Most recently, one older lady missed getting my size 11 imprint on her door by about 2 inches...and it looked like she couldn't have cared less. Two things to always remember: 1) either make eye contact, or slow down 2) ride like they're all out to kill ya'.
Just a note here, don't ever count on someone's "eye contact" to confirm anything! I've had drivers look directly at me many times and in reality they never saw me. Don't count on anyone or thing for you to make a decession in riding your bike or driving your car. Ride your own ride and always remember, I am invisable, I am invisable....PM. <>< :unsure:

In regards to lane splitting, with all due respect, this has nothing to do with lane splitting. This rider hugged the ass of a car that was following another car and as soon as a passing lane opened up the bike made a move, not waiting to see if the car would pass.
Lane sharing is legal in California and we fight to keep it that way. It is safer than staying between the bumpers of cars in traffic IMO and I'd really appreciate it if people that don't really know anything about lane sharing just not comment on it. If you do it regularly you learn quickly that it's a lot safer than most people could imagine it to be. You also get VERY good at figuring out people's next move. Lane sharing is VERY important to my quality of life here in California where traffic sucks and I get to glide on by it. Please don't disparage it unless you really know what you're talking about...please.
Amen, brother, preach it!

We learn to be aware of cage drivers tiniest clues: the turn of a head, uncertain moves of the steering wheel, movement of the suspension, turning of the front wheels, etc. That doesn't mean we share lanes @ 50 mph when the traffic is going 10mph, but "filtering" or "sharing" is a wonderful priviledge. Should you ever come to our area of CA, we'd be glad to show you, and its waaaayyyy fun to follow a CHP....if you can keep up with them.

Now, we return you to your regular program/un-hijacked thread.

+10 on Painman's observations. We can all take notes (since this is the beginning of the riding season) about being too impatient in this type of circumstance.

Here's hoping that soon no more lane sharing will be required for you Ovale... I split, oops, mean 'shared' for many years when living in Long Beach, Inglewood, Westchester and thought nothing of it. Now, frankly, it seems down right scary/stupid.. because I don't have to split/share anymore.. The last several times I have prove I can still do it.. but I really really really prefer not to. Can do, will do, prefer not to. I consider myself very fortunate. When I read posts or view videos of guyz who routinely split (jburleigh for one) I can't, honestly, not cringe when watching. But that's just me, so be it. OTOH, I fully apprecitate those that fully THINK when sharing, are ENGAGED in the moment, and PRATICE the skills required to safely do so. This guy, IMHO, is fully responsible for his result. Off soap box now.. :yahoo:

I DISAGREE!!!!!!

Looks like the red car threw a block pass! One blink of the Left turn signal and he was in the other lane.(Just as guilty) He/She had to know there was a bike behind them. While the rider should of been more patient and not been tailgating, it was probably a deliberate move by the car driver. "I'll teach that little whippersnapper!" Would be interesting to see what the outcome is. At least the biker had it on tape!

Bryce

Agreed. This was attempted murder.

A buddy of mine had a similar incident a couple of weeks ago. Doing the twisties, he came up behind a muscle car moving along briskly, and when he tried to pass, the guy pinched him out. My buddy backed way off and let the car get ahead, then when he picked up the pace and caught up again, he got the impression the guy was laying in wait for him. So he U-turned it on out of there. But as you can imagine, it ruined his riding day.

Jb

I think it was the bikers reponsibility to pass safely and he failed, but to save face he could tell everyone later that he was ran off the road, which he was. :)

[SIZE=8pt]Looks like some very poor anticipation skills by the biker. The red car was very close to the silver car, he should have seen the car in front wanted to pass as badly as he did. Biker at highest risk, biker at the back of the line, biker needs a little more patience. Regardless of who screwed up in your opinion, biker pays.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=8pt] [/SIZE]

[SIZE=8pt]Forum needs to establish a best video’s award area.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=8pt] [/SIZE]

[SIZE=8pt]Regards,[/SIZE]

[SIZE=8pt] [/SIZE]

[SIZE=8pt]B[/SIZE]

I have questions, but only the rider and driver could answer them. I'm wondering how the driver could NOT SEE there was a bike in back of them. Secondly, and I'm guessing here but it looked like another bike up ahead and that could've been a riding partner, if so the downed rider was trying to catch up, AND if that's the case then the driver would have already seen that rider pass them earlier. Even cagers know that riders stick together. The only safe place for a rider is sitting on a couch watching TV.

Before I pass I make sure the cager has seen me. It's hard not to when my highbeam is on.

It's been a few days since I watched that video, and they say the memory is the second thing to go, (or is it the first...I forget)..anyway I think those looked like European plates on the cars....possibly German.....and...if I remember my German traffic laws from 1977 it would be the driver that was ticketed for that one. One of the things they drummed into us is that YOU MUST check traffic behind you. By German law that driver was automatically in the wrong for not checking traffic to the rear before he pulled out.

Personally though....*I* never would have tried that pass...but then I'm a chicken s***

:rolleyes:

I've watched this vid a bunch of times. Before the bike starts its pass there is a car directly in front of the red car. The rider was wrong for following to close. The driver of the car was wrong for not signaling or seeing the bike. The bike did not signal either. I would never put myself in the hands of a cager. Give them space and live to fight another day. My .02 worth

Bill

watch the video carefully and you will agree with this ---> "Not so, look again. There is a car almost directly in front of the red car that pulled out to pass. You can see it's shadow. Red car was pulling out to make a pass, and as most said, it should have been anticipated since he was riding the ass of the car in front of him."

+100 to that. The last vehicle (motorcycle) in a line of closely spaced vehicles should NOT be pulling out to pass anyone in front of him. Impatience did him in.

The motorcycle rider *might* have been able to stay up but once he went off road he had to swerve back to the right to barely miss the sign pole just off the road. He was one lucky dude - stupid, but lucky.

I have to wonder where in the f**k the bike rider learned to drive? It is illegal and imprudent to pass a string from the rear at any time. The driver ahead has the right of way for the pass and not some knucklehead who is gonna try on the whole group? They wanna outlaw bikes here and there and then we see this kind of stupid behavior and cop some self rightous attitude? When I am driving my cage and pull out to pass I don't usually expect to be passed from the back by someone to stupid to read a drivers manual and comply (even feebly) with the instructions contained therein?

Been riding bikes for nearly 50 years and still find it hard to sympathize with someone who made a major miscue that resulted in something bad happening. More and more videos all the time of high speed hijinx on the highways and I am supposed to feel bad for the corpse? I DON'T THINK SO.

Flint :angry2:

I have to wonder where in the f**k the bike rider learned to drive? It is illegal and imprudent to pass a string from the rear at any time.
Huh? Where did you get that little gem from? It is NOT illegal. Prove me wrong. And as for imprudent, do you mean I am just supposed to stay behind a bunch of morons that are in front of me and too afraid, or incapable of passing a slow moving idiot? Sorry, but I don't think so.

The driver ahead has the right of way for the pass and not some knucklehead who is gonna try on the whole group?
Driver ahead has the right of way? Where are getting this stuff? That is totally incorrect.

Really, no offense Flint, but your ideas and perceptions on passing in this instance are a bit off base. Generally, the only statuatory requirements for a vehicle passing is that it is done in a *safe* manner. In the video, the onus was on the vehicle to initiate his pass safely, which he did not since the motorcycle was already passing. What most of us are saying however, is that the motorcycle should easily have anticipated this situation evolving as it did, and not made such an agressive, but legal maneuver.