Forced off the road

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[SIZE=8pt]Looks like some very poor anticipation skills by the biker. The red car was very close to the silver car, he should have seen the car in front wanted to pass as badly as he did. Biker at highest risk, biker at the back of the line, biker needs a little more patience. Regardless of who screwed up in your opinion, biker pays.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=8pt] [/SIZE]

[SIZE=8pt]Forum needs to establish a best video’s award area.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=8pt] [/SIZE]

[SIZE=8pt]Regards,[/SIZE]

[SIZE=8pt] [/SIZE]

[SIZE=8pt]B[/SIZE]
nice font :dribble: What's wrong with you...you hate old people or sumpin? :lol:

How fun to read the monday morning quarterbacks and any other account from folks who WEREN'T THERE.

I don't give a rats ass what was on the cage drivers mind, whether it be blindness or murder.

The rider should have been wondering about the cage drivers ability and morals before he passed. Had he considered this, he would have been back a bit and waited to see how things played out BEFORE making a move.

I approach any accident as MY FAULT. I should have seen the guy turning left and not seeing me, I should have seen the cage making a pass, KNOWING he doesn't see me or even know I'm there behind him.

Take responsibility for EVERYTHING and you'll be doing all you can to prevent a biff.

My monday morning premise is that the cage didn't even see the bike behind him. The cager himself was annoyed by the slow traffic and was paying TOTAL attention to the very split-second he could pass. He went for it ASAP and hit the speeding biker. Bummer.

My current bad habit is this EXACT problem. I cross over into the oncoming lane ( or passing lane ) and often forget to check my 6 before doing so. If I keep this up, someday some faster vehicle ( like this guy on the bike ) is going to be surprised by me and butt-**** me into oblivion.

As I fly through the air towards my death my last thought will be:

"Oops, my fault".

Stay safe, and learn learn learn.

GZ

Flint, here's the Wyoming statue that covers passing:

§ 31-5-204. General limitations on overtaking on the left.
No vehicle shall be driven to the left side of the center of the roadway in overtaking and passing another vehicle proceeding in the same direction unless the left side is clearly visible and is free of oncoming traffic for a sufficient distance ahead to permit the overtaking and passing to be completely made without interfering with the operation of any vehicle approaching from the opposite direction or any vehicle overtaken. In every event the overtaking vehicle must return to an authorized lane of travel as soon as practicable and in the event the passing movement involves the use of a lane authorized for vehicles approaching from the opposite direction, before coming within two hundred (200) feet of any approaching vehicle.
For your reading enjoyment, you can find all the other Wyoming motor vehicle statutes HERE.

Interestingly enough, under Wyoming traffic law, it would be difficult to blame either of the vehicles in the video as neither violated the above statute.

Edit: Ooops, just found another statute, where with a bit of a stretch, one could interpret the statute as saying the vehicle being overtaken shall give way to the passing vehicle if the passing vehicle gives "an audible signal".

§ 31-5-203. Rules governing overtaking on the left.

(a) The following rules shall govern the overtaking and passing of vehicles proceeding in the same direction, subject to those limitations, exceptions and special rules hereinafter stated:

(i) The driver of a vehicle overtaking another vehicle proceeding in the same direction shall pass to the left thereof at a safe distance and shall not again drive to the right side of the roadway until safely clear of the overtaken vehicle;

(ii) Except when overtaking and passing on the right is permitted, the driver of an overtaken vehicle shall give way to the right in favor of the overtaking vehicle on audible signal and shall not increase the speed of his vehicle until completely passed by the overtaking vehicle.

Edit #2: Ok, I promise this is it. Here is the Wyomnig statute that clearly puts the car in the video at fault. He did not change lanes when safe, nor did he signal his intention. Still, that motorcycle rider was an idiot for not excercising more caution, even if it wasn't his fault.

§ 31-5-217. Turning movements and required signals.
(a) No person shall turn a vehicle or move right or left upon a roadway unless and until the movement can be made with reasonable safety nor without giving an appropriate signal in the manner provided by this section.

( B) A signal of intention to turn right or left when required shall be given continuously during not less than the last one hundred (100) feet traveled by the vehicle before turning.

Last edited by a moderator:
My current bad habit is this EXACT problem. I cross over into the oncoming lane ( or passing lane ) and often forget to check my 6 before doing so. If I keep this up, someday some faster vehicle ( like this guy on the bike ) is going to be surprised by me and butt-**** me into oblivion.
As I fly through the air towards my death my last thought will be:

"Oops, my fault".
+1

Not read all the responses, but great to see that a lot of guys on here recognise that it was partly the riders fault. He was too close to start with and if the car had braked suddenly he would have been over the top of it before he reached his brake lever. For me, that wasnt a passing point, the road was too narrow and busy, nothing to achieve by passing there, except get past one car out of 20.

Inexperienced kid got unlucky is the title for this one I reckon.