Fork Brace question

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

superfuzz

Reaction score
Is there any quality but less expensive alternative to the Superbrace? I've been wanting to try a brace since I owned my VTR, then my VFR, and am curious about trying one on the FJR but I'm not willing to fork out (excuse the pun) $150+ for a Superbrace.

I tried a forum search but haven't found anything else.

Last edited by a moderator:
There is some subtle advantage for a Gen I to use a fork brace. A Gen II doesn't really need a fork brace. (No editorial comment about....) The Gen I had only has two fork bushings but the Gen II has 3 bushings which pretty much takes away any advantage of a fork brace. However, the Gen II has very short bushing life, perhaps a fork brace may reduce this wear. Anyone have actual, factual data to discuss this possibility?

Maybe the person who gave me a minus vote on this thread could PM me and tell me what I did to offend?
Your opening post contained a vendor name that no longer shows in your thread. I suspect that there is some relationship. Your post without the benefit of long term Forum drama knowledge got you an unearned red dinger. The duplicator of someone else design has not been a good community player here. You are a recipient of a one time forgiveness due to being a newbie.

Maybe the person who gave me a minus vote on this thread could PM me and tell me what I did to offend?
Your opening post contained a vendor name that no longer shows in your thread. I suspect that there is some relationship. Your post without the benefit of long term Forum drama knowledge got you an unearned red dinger. The duplicator of someone else design has not been a good community player here. You are a recipient of a one time forgiveness due to being a newbie.
Ya, after I posted my question here, I also went searching on another forum trying to find the same info. There I read about people been banned or chastised for mentioning that vendor. I was skeptical that would really happen so I checked back to see if I got any such response. Since I'm new here and a new FJR owner, I didn't really want to get banned or chastised so I changed my post to be more generic. Then I noticed the "-1" on my rep.

I think it's stupid and petty for you to ding me because you "suspect there is some relationship" or because I didn't have knowledge of a "long term forum drama."

Really? Is there some long-term forum drama sticky thread I should have read to catch up on all the past drama and learn what I shouldn't mention? If there was some sort of relationship, wouldn't I have attempted to post a glowing review rather than asking if anyone had tried it?

I just came here to ask questions and hopefully tap into the knowledge base on my new-to-me bike. I don't want any part of the drama. I get enough of that from my 11 year old daughter.........WTF?

I provided a technical answer to your question. I gave you a + to negate a possible newbie errant post. As far as the drama, PM an admin on this board and let the people that run this joint have an opportunity to explain, blow you off, read the rules unto you or perhaps tell you why any further discussion will get you run out of town. I don't have a thing to do with the running or administration of this Forum, but after observing the way it works for several years I recommend that you take your boggle to the ones that keep the show running.

I provided a technical answer to your question. I gave you a + to negate a possible newbie errant post. As far as the drama, PM an admin on this board and let the people that run this joint have an opportunity to explain, blow you off, read the rules unto you or perhaps tell you why any further discussion will get you run out of town. I don't have a thing to do with the running or administration of this Forum, but after observing the way it works for several years I recommend that you take your boggle to the ones that keep the show running.
Thanks.

I don't feel the FJR (Gen II anyway) would benefit from the fork brace as other bikes do. I do not get any of the front end dancing the fork brace helps to stabilize.

Just my .02

Fuzz, don't stress the mentioning of the name, no biggie...And certainly don't stress a -1 rating on a post.

DO go back and read the Forum rules that were presented to you when you signed on. The name deal is specifically mentioned in there, so it shouldn't be a surprise...Unless you didn't read the rules....Hmmmmmm.

The rating system came along with the new forum software a round a year ago. It created lots of hurt feelings and a few pages of discussion. Basically, it's a way for chicken-shit douche bags to give someone a negative rating without having the balls to step up...Or a way for the doofuses on this forum to give each other shit. Blow it off...It's meaningless.

As far as the fork brace question, as Alan, I have heard they were helpful on Gen I bikes, but not so much on Gen II bikes. Unless you race Moto-GP, the brace is prolly a waste of money.

Remember that people love to come up with reasons to fix something that isn't really broken, and this forum is no different. Take lots of suggestions, like the fork brace, with a grain of salt.

I have a '07 and read about using fork braces and put one on. Rode with with for many thousand miles and there was one time of turning and encountering a bump in the middle of the turn that the front end would do a "nasty pogo stick" dance. My friend that owns a suspension tuning business tried different settings. It either got better or much worse, but never disappeared.

Removed the fork brace and have not had the problem since - about 40,000 miles later....

The brace is in my "junk" box......

I have a '07 and read about using fork braces and put one on. Rode with with for many thousand miles and there was one time of turning and encountering a bump in the middle of the turn that the front end would do a "nasty pogo stick" dance. My friend that owns a suspension tuning business tried different settings. It either got better or much worse, but never disappeared.

Removed the fork brace and have not had the problem since - about 40,000 miles later....

Interested in lightening your junk box? I wouldn't mind giving it a try if the price was right....

Interested in lightening your junk box? I wouldn't mind giving it a try if the price was right....
Send me a PM and I'll call you tomorrow.

I've been running a Superbrace on my '07 for the past 125k miles. I do believe it improves front tire wear, does help with sharp transitions such as when running on tight and sharp switchbacks and from my experience with the fork bushings it does help keep them working longer. I have just had my fork bushings replaced after about 100k miles, and only the two bottom ones were showing signs of wear, i.e. the teflon coating was starting to rub off.

I'll use a fork brace of some kind or another on any bike with regular fork design, which is any bike I'm likely to own since I'm not a fan of the BMW telelever system.

Just my ¥0.2 worth.

DO go back and read the Forum rules that were presented to you when you signed on. The name deal is specifically mentioned in there, so it shouldn't be a surprise...Unless you didn't read the rules....Hmmmmmm.
Actually, I believe that particular rule has been redacted. Here's a link to the guidelines. I remember seeing a thread announcing the change somewhat recently, but I can't find it.

Actually, I believe that particular rule has been redacted. Here's a link to the guidelines. I remember seeing a thread announcing the change somewhat recently, but I can't find it.
Well shit...I guess I haven't read the rules since July 21, 2011? Go figure.

Thanks for the link. I usually skip the rules and just follow the Golden Rule; usually works just fine

I've been running a Superbrace on my '07 for the past 125k miles. I do believe it improves front tire wear, does help with sharp transitions such as when running on tight and sharp switchbacks and from my experience with the fork bushings it does help keep them working longer. I have just had my fork bushings replaced after about 100k miles, and only the two bottom ones were showing signs of wear, i.e. the teflon coating was starting to rub off.

I'll use a fork brace of some kind or another on any bike with regular fork design, which is any bike I'm likely to own since I'm not a fan of the BMW telelever system.

Just my ¥0.2 worth.
Your results after 100k are interesting. What was the mileage when you installed the brace?

I haven't torn down these forks myself yet. I'd like someone to point out which parts are the actual bushings we are referring to on the forks? Gen II fork I can't help but wonder if the bushing issue is related in any way to the issue i am having with my forks?

When i bought my 07, with 7k on it, I sent the forks to RaceTech on that last group buy for new springs and valving. They said the bushings showed significant wear and that they would replace them as part of the service, but said it wasn't unusual. I was surprised. Only 7k on em and worn enough to replace them. I didn't think to inquire beyond that to see what their experience had been between Gen I and II wear.

When i got my forks back from Racetech they made some horrible scraping noises. The springs were rubbing against the inside of the fork legs making a metal on metal scraping sound, way too noisy for me to ignore. I called them and actually put the phone next to the forks and made the noise for them in hopes of getting some logical explanation or a quick fix as I was about to leave for a 5k cross country trip and wasn't happy when they said " that's normal, they just need to break in and they'll quiet down."

I asked around and no one else thought it was normal, including those that had racetech do their forks. I sent them right back, they serviced them, and said they be-burred and polished the springs. When i got em back they were quieter but still not like new. :unsure:

I want to also note that I identified the noises prior to installing them back on the bike by compressing the forks individually by hand, and pointed that out to Racetech in case that was important info for them to know.

Anyhoo, I've got 20K on her now and they still make some noise. I'll be anxious to see what they look like when i change the fork oil in the next 10k. I'll change the bushings if they look worn and put a brace on it at that point to see if it makes a difference, but i'm still perplexed about the noise. Any ideas?

Jeepers If just one negative rating ruffed yer feathers... That poor old curmudgeon Howie musta been devastated, seems like he was near 160 before his threat of offin' hisself brought folks around.

BTW I negatived yer ass zilla. Just seemed like the thing to do ya know?

:****: