Fork Brace question

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This may be your answer on the noise. It seems that RaceTech came out with a new part to avoid springs from banging around inside the forks.

See link for part # FPSG 1027127 P

You were probably not the only one complaining.

ClickyClicky

I've been running a Superbrace on my '07 for the past 125k miles. I do believe it improves front tire wear, does help with sharp transitions such as when running on tight and sharp switchbacks and from my experience with the fork bushings it does help keep them working longer. I have just had my fork bushings replaced after about 100k miles, and only the two bottom ones were showing signs of wear, i.e. the teflon coating was starting to rub off.

I'll use a fork brace of some kind or another on any bike with regular fork design, which is any bike I'm likely to own since I'm not a fan of the BMW telelever system.

Just my ¥0.2 worth.
Your results after 100k are interesting. What was the mileage when you installed the brace?

I haven't torn down these forks myself yet. I'd like someone to point out which parts are the actual bushings we are referring to on the forks? Gen II fork I can't help but wonder if the bushing issue is related in any way to the issue i am having with my forks?

When i bought my 07, with 7k on it, I sent the forks to RaceTech on that last group buy for new springs and valving. They said the bushings showed significant wear and that they would replace them as part of the service, but said it wasn't unusual. I was surprised. Only 7k on em and worn enough to replace them. I didn't think to inquire beyond that to see what their experience had been between Gen I and II wear.

When i got my forks back from Racetech they made some horrible scraping noises. The springs were rubbing against the inside of the fork legs making a metal on metal scraping sound, way too noisy for me to ignore. I called them and actually put the phone next to the forks and made the noise for them in hopes of getting some logical explanation or a quick fix as I was about to leave for a 5k cross country trip and wasn't happy when they said " that's normal, they just need to break in and they'll quiet down."

I asked around and no one else thought it was normal, including those that had racetech do their forks. I sent them right back, they serviced them, and said they be-burred and polished the springs. When i got em back they were quieter but still not like new. :unsure:

I want to also note that I identified the noises prior to installing them back on the bike by compressing the forks individually by hand, and pointed that out to Racetech in case that was important info for them to know.

Anyhoo, I've got 20K on her now and they still make some noise. I'll be anxious to see what they look like when i change the fork oil in the next 10k. I'll change the bushings if they look worn and put a brace on it at that point to see if it makes a difference, but i'm still perplexed about the noise. Any ideas?

Now that i think about it, it did sound like the spring was sliding inside a sheet metal sleeve/guide. If that was the culprit they should have said something and i would have been relieved that it wasn't a problem waiting to happen.

This may be your answer on the noise. It seems that RaceTech came out with a new part to avoid springs from banging around inside the forks.

See link for part # FPSG 1027127 P

You were probably not the only one complaining.

ClickyClicky

I've been running a Superbrace on my '07 for the past 125k miles. I do believe it improves front tire wear, does help with sharp transitions such as when running on tight and sharp switchbacks and from my experience with the fork bushings it does help keep them working longer. I have just had my fork bushings replaced after about 100k miles, and only the two bottom ones were showing signs of wear, i.e. the teflon coating was starting to rub off.

I'll use a fork brace of some kind or another on any bike with regular fork design, which is any bike I'm likely to own since I'm not a fan of the BMW telelever system.

Just my ¥0.2 worth.
Your results after 100k are interesting. What was the mileage when you installed the brace?

I haven't torn down these forks myself yet. I'd like someone to point out which parts are the actual bushings we are referring to on the forks? Gen II fork I can't help but wonder if the bushing issue is related in any way to the issue i am having with my forks?

When i bought my 07, with 7k on it, I sent the forks to RaceTech on that last group buy for new springs and valving. They said the bushings showed significant wear and that they would replace them as part of the service, but said it wasn't unusual. I was surprised. Only 7k on em and worn enough to replace them. I didn't think to inquire beyond that to see what their experience had been between Gen I and II wear.

When i got my forks back from Racetech they made some horrible scraping noises. The springs were rubbing against the inside of the fork legs making a metal on metal scraping sound, way too noisy for me to ignore. I called them and actually put the phone next to the forks and made the noise for them in hopes of getting some logical explanation or a quick fix as I was about to leave for a 5k cross country trip and wasn't happy when they said " that's normal, they just need to break in and they'll quiet down."

I asked around and no one else thought it was normal, including those that had racetech do their forks. I sent them right back, they serviced them, and said they be-burred and polished the springs. When i got em back they were quieter but still not like new. :unsure:

I want to also note that I identified the noises prior to installing them back on the bike by compressing the forks individually by hand, and pointed that out to Racetech in case that was important info for them to know.

Anyhoo, I've got 20K on her now and they still make some noise. I'll be anxious to see what they look like when i change the fork oil in the next 10k. I'll change the bushings if they look worn and put a brace on it at that point to see if it makes a difference, but i'm still perplexed about the noise. Any ideas?

Last edited by a moderator:
Jeepers If just one negative rating ruffed yer feathers... That poor old curmudgeon Howie musta been devastated, seems like he was near 160 before his threat of offin' hisself brought folks around.

BTW I negatived yer ass zilla. Just seemed like the thing to do ya know?

:****:
Eat a cock Bust. I check the forum from my phone most if the time anyway , so I never see the ratings. How do you like that shit fer brains??

:****: :****:

Last edited by a moderator:
Jeepers If just one negative rating ruffed yer feathers... That poor old curmudgeon Howie musta been devastated, seems like he was near 160 before his threat of offin' hisself brought folks around.

BTW I negatived yer ass zilla. Just seemed like the thing to do ya know?

:****:
BTW, It was ME who beotched yer wurthless ass to NEG-TWO! :finger: