Fork oil

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BumbleDB

Reaction score
Blew a fork seal, so I'm going to replace the seals and bushings.

Yamaha recommends '01' fork oil, which they are really proud of.

Local dealer wants ~$90 for the 2 cans of oil to do my forks.

Dealer has no idea what '01' oil is as far as weight, and the

manuals only tell you to use '01' with no other information.

Looking for recommendations on replacement oil that I won't

have to pay $90 for. Recommended weight mainly, brands

second. This is for a G1 if it matters. I'm in Texas, so hot

riding in the summer, cold but not too cold in the winter.

Hey Bumble,

If I remember right you should be using 10 weight fork oil. And like any oil thread you will get 17 answers or maybe none since it has been hashed around so much. Google is your freind.

Clicky This may help.

Dave

I'd be curious as to sources for various qualities of fork oil. Dealers rape ya for it, and I'm not familiar enough with the various brands/quality and the best sources. I have no doubt I get reamed every time I buy it.

Yeah, checked the top 10 google results, but nothing clear on the correct weight for the oil.

Just like the cool thread you linked, no mention of the correct oil viscosity.

Eh, if nothing clearer comes up, 10W it will be. $90 is just to much for 2 liters of oil, unless

someone can verify that the forks will fail without the special stuff.

The one thread I found that did mention oil weight, the guy had given up on finding out

and said he'd try 7W.

Of course, I didn't look at what cycle gear was getting per quart of their fork oil, but I

really doubt it's $45 a pop.

The viscosity of Showa SS-7 suspension fluid closely matches the Yamaha 01. Been changing mine every year (10 - 12K) or so and am very happy with the results every time.

Another interesting site to look at is Peter Verdone Designs which has a bit of information on suspension fluids.

--G

The "01" basically means US-1. Honda and RaceTech both sell an excellent US-1 grade.

RaceTech lists US-1 as "US1=3.5-5w" and sells for $29.99 /qt. You'll need two quarts to do the FJR forks.

Lots of places sell the Pro Honda Suspension Fluid. It comes in 16 oz. bottles so you'll need four. SS-7 matches the Yamaha OEM viscosity best. If you want to run something heavier in the stock forks, I highly recommend the SS-8 (10 wt.) Honda fluid.

The "01" basically means US-1. Honda and RaceTech both sell an excellent US-1 grade.
RaceTech lists US-1 as "US1=3.5-5w" and sells for $29.99 /qt. You'll need two quarts to do the FJR forks.

Lots of places sell the Pro Honda Suspension Fluid. It comes in 16 oz. bottles so you'll need four. SS-7 matches the Yamaha OEM viscosity best. If you want to run something heavier in the stock forks, I highly recommend the SS-8 (10 wt.) Honda fluid.
Yamaha shop manual oil spec for Gen 2 bikes is Ohlins R & T 43 (ACC-RT43F-00-00). Quantity 23.53 US oz ,this should equil a level of 92mm. I bought 2 quarts from a Ohlins dealer in Jackson NJ Pro Pilot @ $28 aquart. Not sure of the weight a good contrast in viscosity would be baby oil

I just picked up the SS-8 honda stuff. Not to be cheap, But I need to try something different. My fork seals are leaking at only 15 K miles, Try to get that or loose head bearing fixed under YES. What a waste of money. Glad the PO paid for it and not me.

FWIW, I just had my service guy at my Yamaha dealer install my Eibach springs and RaceTech valves. They used two quarts of the YZ Suspnsn Oil 01 at $29.95 per quart. Sounds like your dealer is trying to hose you.

Hadn't checked this thread in a while.

Rebuilt the forks and used Bel-Ray 7W, seems to work fine. Not overly cheap at $15 a litre.

Bought it at Cycle Gear, so I probably could of got it cheaper somewhere else.

Leak is gone, been riding the crap out of it.

Just got my Fz1 back together ( front tire ), so it will be the mount for this week.

Now I just have to get a new front tire for the Fjr too! Damn things keep wearing out, need to

start buying by the gross. Just got though doing the rear tire.